Chase '09

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
Therein lies the rub with this whole Chase points system which seems like it could have been conceived by Rube Goldberg and Dr. Seuss after a long night of washing down acid tabs with cheap tequila in a fleabag motel overrun with nickel hookers. There are currently four drivers who haven’t won a single race who are qualified for a title Chase. Meanwhile one of the two drivers who have won four events is on the outside looking in. Currently if Kyle Busch were to make the Chase he’d start the Chase tied for the lead with Mark Martin. If he fails to do so he can finish no better than thirteenth in the standings. Three other drivers who have won points races are also going to miss the Chase. Matt Kenseth, who won the race that NASCAR terms “Our Super Bowl,†is in danger of missing playoff contention.

The Frontstretch: Matt McLaughlin's Thinkin' Out Loud: 2009 Bristol Night Race Recap by Matt McLaughlin -- Monday August 24, 2009

What do you guys and gals think of these Scenarios?

Just consider: If Jr. had four wins this season and didn't make the chase. What if Mark has problems and doesn't make the chase?

Snoozer

Oct 13, 2008
Canada Eh!
I'm not a fan of the chase but I don't think NASCAR is going to get rid of it now. Even though I'm sure they see some of its shortcomings. The old system didn't always reward wins either.
It is what it is and its here to stay. I'm sure they'll constantly tweak it to make it better but it'll only confuse and aggravite fans.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
The chase is what it is. I've never been a fan of it, although I've benefited from it. At the end of the 2003 season I had picked Kurt Busch would win the championship. Had no idea he's have the chase to help him win it :right:

I do think that if they do change the chase, they should make it a 12 race chase. 12 for 12. Bristol is the last race before the chase :)

k9feces

Oct 20, 2008
I hope Montoya gets in by points racing, it feels like Nascar pre-chase. But I would also like to see Kyle barely get in and then have the points lead when the chase starts.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I do think that if they do change the chase, they should make it a 12 race chase. 12 for 12. Bristol is the last race before the chase

I think the chase has hurt the end of summer racing at Bristol and Richmond. Drivers are WAY to geared to "play it safe". Saturday night's race was not that good for 2/3rds of the race. I never thought I would say that. But I found myself switching channels to watch football, etc. Don't get me wrong....I'll take night racing at Bristol and Richmond over just about any other track at anytime.

I still would like to see the overall championship holder be the one with the most wins during the season. I think this is the ONLY way to put the complete priority on getting the win for every race. Which needs to happen.

Nascar could still award consistensy in some way....I do think that's a big accomplishment.

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
I think the chase has hurt the end of summer racing at Bristol and Richmond. Drivers are WAY to geared to "play it safe". Saturday night's race was not that good for 2/3rds of the race. I never thought I would say that.

I haven't had the chance to watch the television broadcast of the race yet but they didn't look like they were playing it safe from the stands. I thought it was a great race. I'll be in the minority on this but I like Bristol better since they reconfigured it. I saw plenty of side by side racing all night long. It was simply a one grove racetrack in the past. Now they can finally race.

I think that Bristol and Richmond should be in the chase rather than before. Take Fontana & Loudon out and put them in before the chase starts. Maybe if they make Fontana the 26th race of the season I'll wake up long enough to watch it.

I still would like to see the overall championship holder be the one with the most wins during the season. I think this is the ONLY way to put the complete priority on getting the win for every race. Which needs to happen.

I agree. I think that I heard one of the hosts from SIRIUS/XM Radio say before to give the winner of the race an extra 100 points over second place during the regular season. That should certainly separate and reward those winners of multiple races to the point that they'll make the chase. When they start the final 10 races give them their 10 point bonus for the races won during the regular season and that will give them their respective starting spots.

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
Until they change it again. They've done it before. I wouldn't be surprised to see it changed again if Kyle or Martin don't make it in.

People say they expanded the chase to 12 driver so Jeff & Jr could make it in. Horse hockey!

They expanded the chase so drivers would have to race their way into the Top 10 & earn a seat at the banquet.

I remember when Mayfield made the chase in the last race of '04. People called in NaSCAR radio saying they didn't like the idea that someone could make the chase & not stay motivated during the chase. They made the top 10. Whatelse do they need to do except ride around for the next 10 weeks & collect a 10th place check.

Same goes for '05 when Kurt Busch stayed in the top 10 dispite not racing in the last two races.

If they change anything, they need to give more points to the winner of each race during the chase, even if you're not in the chase :)
Posted via Mobile Device

dpkimmel2001

Nov 6, 2008
PA
People say they expanded the chase to 12 driver so Jeff & Jr could make it in. Horse hockey!

I don't believe that was the reason for that change. I'll see you 'horse hockey' and raise you a 'balderdash'! I simply said that they've changed it before and I can't see why they wouldn't do it again. I think that I've heard it said before that the chase idea was pretty much an ever evolving thing and that there could be more tweaks made to it.

I will say that if either of those two, (Busch & Martin), don't make the chase, with the amount of wins that they have, I do believe that a change will be made that will eliminate that possibility from ever occurring again.

antsie

Oct 20, 2008
Can't remember
What I don't like about the chase is when its all said and done only the top 10 make it to the stage/banquet. What's up with that nonsense????

They were good enough to be part of the top 12 in the chase, they should be good enough to attend the banquet. Just my opinion :)

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
What I don't like about the chase is when its all said and done only the top 10 make it to the stage/banquet. What's up with that nonsense????

They were good enough to be part of the top 12 in the chase, they should be good enough to attend the banquet. Just my opinion

I completely agree 100%!!!

About Bristol.........I love the track as it is now. I'm glad they can go two, or three, wide around the track. I totally HATE the 'ole Dale bump and dump move...that's not racing to me. Anybody can do that.

mghtx

2000 Man
Oct 23, 2008
I think that Bristol and Richmond should be in the chase rather than before. Take Fontana & Loudon out

That would be fantastic. Too many chase tracks are "safe and boring" tracks.

tsschmitten

Nov 13, 2008
Max Meadows,VA
I agree put Bristol and Richmond in the Chase!! David Poole was the one that had the idea to give each driver an extra 500 points for their first win that way they would pretty much be assured a chase spot unless they had an abismal year!! Could you imagine what this race to the chase would be like if there were only 10 drivers going in? That would be some drama there!!