Charlie Ergen making a move for Sirius XM

Discussion in 'SiriusXM Soundwave Cafe' started by hank-the-dwarf, Feb 5, 2009.

1. hank-the-dwarf

hank-the-dwarf Well-Known Member

2. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Member

There's your worst-case scenario...

I doubt this move could ever get government approval. Taking a dump on 20Million subs and all those shareholders... Just for the network of ground repeaters. Plus seeking FCC approval for retargetting the SDARS spectrum use for TV, leaving nothing for digital audio, which is what teh spectrum was intended to serve.

3. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Member

Look at how difficult it was to get approval to reallocate the spectrum to 1 single company, now they want to steal it and retarget by means of a hostile take-over????

4. hank-the-dwarf

The are sort of partners already anyway right?

5. goreds2

goreds2 Well-Known Member

Isn't that what SIRIUS did to XM?

6. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

Only partners in the sense that they carry some SIRIUS programming. Their rival, DirecTV, carries some XM programming.

That's as far as their relationship goes. Neither Satellite TV companies own any stake in SIRIUS XM.

7. hank-the-dwarf

Not yet.

8. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

It's possible I'm sure, but chances are the FCC will not allow either company to take over SIRIUS XM. At least I hope not.

9. ClubSteeler

ClubSteeler Member

No.... Not at all. The merger was not even close to a hostile takeover.

You obviously think the wrong entity was given ownership, but that doesn't make it a hostile takeover by any means.

10. dlynx

dlynx Member

I see it as Echo investing into one of their content partners and nothing more then that at this point. The regulatory hurdles that hampered the SIRI/XM merger are bound to be greater, and I have the feeling that the FCC and the government in general is not going to look favorably on another merger or takeover by another sat company, not this soon, if ever (in the near future).

11. GordyMac

GordyMac Member

But then again, nobody thought the government and FCC would go for SIRIUS and XM joining

12. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

I must be the only one who thinks this makes perfect sense. Echostar is also a partner of SlingMedia (LOTS of interesting possibilities with that and SiriusXM in the same stable), and it could also make Backseat TV a mass market product. I'm also a dish subscriber so I'm slighty biased. :p If Echostar can make SiriusXM hardware anywhere near as cool as the 722DVR for TV, then we've got something.

13. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

I'm not a conspiracy theorist, but Echostar head Charles Ergen is a...how should I put it...scrappy, shrewd guy. I would not put anything past him.

Yes, the ground repeaters are interesting...and Dish is a distant #2 to DirecTV However, don't forget that Dish is an experienced satellite service operator. Who, given the opportunity, may find a way to operate Sirius XM successfully. A lot of the debt would have to be re-organized and/or converted to equity, however.

I am not sure that the FCC would have a whole lot of problems with this...other than perhaps trying to get some more concessions to minority interests.

14. Bandwagon03

Bandwagon03 Well-Known Member

I agree. Ol Charlie is known as a guy who is somewhat of a maverick, and one who doesnt put up with a bunch of crap, and who is stubborn/patient enough to get his way...

15. xan_user

xan_user Banned

When a carcass starts rotting in the sun, the vultures can't be far behind.

Btw whats a ground repeater of which everyone speaks?:lol:
    ( i thought satellites were in space;))

None of my radios ever saw signal from one of those anyways...Im not sure they even exist.

-dripping with sarcasm....

16. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

Also. Joe Clayton (former CEO of Sirius) is now a member of the BOD of Echostar. Stick THAT in your pipe and smoke it!

17. Jleimer

Jleimer Active Member

So Mel is pretty much pulling a backdoor with E not a surprise folks. I wonder if this could lead to Satellite TV in the Car ?

18. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream

Maybe they just want into the satrad business and this is a cheap way to do it.

19. Ehilbert1

Ehilbert1 Ooh-Rah!!!!

I know its been a big deal here about the prices going up. I'm just wondering if any of you have Dish Network. They've raised prices again as most cable and satellite companys do. The only problem is they've raised their packages by as much as $10 a month. Some are $5 a month and some are $8 a month. I have DirecTV and they raised prices on each package by $3 and thats it. I'm not saying that by Dish buying SiriusXM they would raise the prices way up like that,but you have to look at their track record. If people hate the prices going up by $2 and the loss of online streaming now just wait. Dish has really raised their prices and they took a way a lot of HD channels that were included in the HD package(Voom Channels) and didn't lower the price of that package when they took them away. The grass might not be greener if they were to buy them out.

20. Jon

Jon Well-Known Member

For those of us in Denver, this would also make SiriusXM a local company, since Echostar is based here.