Charles B from Slacker support is useless

styckx

Nov 11, 2008
This is the second time dealing with this moron, no idea how he is allowed anywhere near people w/ support needs.

CharlesB: Thank you for contacting Slacker Live Chat Support. My name is Charles. How may I help you today?

styckx: I'm out of ideas here. First off let me say USB refreshing works perfect. My problem is with WIFI refreshing (that used to work perfect till about a week ago). When I refresh w/ Wifi, it will sometimes hang on connecting, sometimes hang on signing in. When I eventually do connect after trying a few times, the channels will start to download songs, then randomly it stops and I get "Slacker can not connect to the Slacker service" in the middle of the refresh and I get the option to retry or cancel. I've restarted and even a factory reset. Doesn't fix it. I've tried this on TWO different wireless routers w/ the same results. I even tried disabling the routers security and, again, same results. Again USB refreshing works perfect, wifi is now unstable and never finishes.

CharlesB: At this time what is the DHCP lease time on the router?

styckx: The default, I never change lease times

CharlesB: ok

CharlesB: If WiFi is having an issue have you tried to change the wireless channel?

styckx: I've tried this on two different wireless routers (as stated above). Two different manufactures also.. Same results.

styckx: Full strength on the connections, distance isn't an issue either

CharlesB: What version of the Firmware are you running?

styckx: .34, which I upgraded to a day after it was released, which is around the same time I started noticing wifi issues.

CharlesB: Were the two routers on different networks?

styckx: same network.

CharlesB: I would try a connection outside of this network and see if the same thing occurs.

styckx: That would be very hard to do :) Plus, if it was the network, USB refreshing wouldn't work 100% perfect either.

CharlesB: I am not referring to the USB connection as it will be consistent even if the connection lags. The WiFi can be hindered by lag and timeout.

styckx: ok

This has been 15 minutes of deflecting just for him to tell me to check my network? ARE YOU SERIOUS? Lag and timeout? REALLY? I just closed the window, I can't deal w/ this guy.

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
To rule out the network being the issue, the CSR is correct: you'd need to try on a separate network, perhaps at a Dunkin' Donuts or at your workplace (if they have wi-fi). You seem to have already ruled out the router as an issue.

Perhaps determine the IP address of the Slacker unit, and set it up as a DMZ on the router (to rule out port issues).

styckx

Nov 11, 2008
I'm just frustrated, I know this is not a network issue. This thing has been fine for roughly 2 months now w/ Wifi, suddenly it acts like a POS during wifi and it's my internet connection?

Oh look, I reset my cable modem, reset each router, connected, and at the end of refreshing one channel.

I'll stick with USB until the next firmware or find another network, but to blame it on the network is asinine. I've pinged yahoo.com via wifi on my laptop 200 times without a single packet lose.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I have my own opinion about CharlesB, but I am trying to be a good boy today, so I'll let that one go!

styckx

Nov 11, 2008
This may sound weird, but, I changed my SSID from Platty2 to "GET OFF MY LAWN ASSHOLES" and set a different WEP passkey and it works perfect again.

No lie.. Strange..

RomeE

Oct 27, 2008
San Diego, CA
Styckxv said:

This may sound weird, but, I changed my SSID from Platty2 to "GET OFF MY LAWN ASSHOLES" and set a different WEP passkey and it works perfect again.

No lie.. Strange..

So, again, the CSR you spoke to asked you to test it outside of your network to determine if there was an issue unrelated to the the G2, and you are calling him an idiot?

Then you make a change to your router, and it works?

I'm a bit confused as to how this goes back to the original point that you disagreed with his suggestion.

Now, I don't know what would cause this, but if you are able to connect to the servers, and it times out or stops after a period of time, this is generally a networking issue (maybe not inside of your network, but maybe between you and us??)

As a troubleshooting step, we will often times try to narrow down the issue to one thing, so that we aren't just "throwing darts" trying to guess at the solution, and wasting your time/effort guessing.

If the problem continues outside of your network, then we would explore other things with the G2, including pouring through all the logs (Which we'll do anyways to see if there is anything there being reported).

Thanks,
Rome E
Slacker Support

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Hi Rome E,

Thanks for your reply here on DRC. There is no doubt that sometimes in our zealousness to want our devices to work we tend to overreact a bit. Not defending styckx just making a point!

It has been my experience that most issues that folks have are directly related to some sort of issues on their end rather it be Routers or a WAP. There are also a lot of G1/G2 owners that have never had any connectivity issues. I'd be one of those!

Really I have no personal issues with Charles B myself, I like anyone else didn't really like the responses I got when asking about switching between Premium and Plus service. I found his response rather defensive rather than helpful. Yet I've seen many post where Charles B has been helpful, so I try to keep an open mind. But I do apologize for appear to be approving of calling him out in such a manner.

Bottom line no matter how hard you guys work you just won't ever be able to make everyone happy. I personally appreciate the hard work you guys do and I think you have a heck of a hard job, because not only are you dealing with technical issues likely to be on the users end, you are dealing with personalities and folks that are rather short on even basic technical skills. They just want to plug it in and have it work, but sometimes that just isn't possible. This tends to cause frustration, which in short order turns to misdirected anger.

I love the Slacker service and in my opinion the G2 has evolved into a really great device. Is it perfect? No, I know of no device that is and I've used a lot of them. I still think you guys go well above and beyond most other companies and trying to make sure folks are happy with the product. Sat Radio could learn a lot from you all.

Thanks for your input and clarifying the information being provided by Charles B and I think you are right on point.

topcats69

Jan 12, 2009
MN,USA
I always feel like Slacker support really trys to help you. I think sometimes its just that e-mail and online chat make people seem grumpy when they are just trying to help.

Reactions: snakester

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I always feel like Slacker support really trys to help you. I think sometimes its just that e-mail and online chat make people seem grumpy when they are just trying to help.

top you make an excellent, excellent point. When you are communicating via text be it email or chat sometimes the way something is worded just strikes you wrong even though that was never the intent. I've learned this over the years in communicating via email with my staff. I've had them get angry with me and then when one of them would approach me about it and I'd read it again from their perspective I'd be like WOW. Yeah I can see how you felt I was saying that.

I agree though I think all the folks over are Slacker try their best to reach out and help. But again it is a tough job because of so many variables. They almost have to go through a process of elimination to fix some issues.

I am just having such a blast with the service and loving my G2 though. I've haven't had a device or service that I've had so much fun and enjoy so much as this one.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I'm going to throw my two cents in here by saying that it's so hard to troubleshoot web type connection issues. So many random variables and factors that aren't easy to figure out via phone or email.

styckx

Nov 11, 2008
Just frustrated, I'm sure Charles B is a fine employee and I took my frustrations out towards the first person I talked to. Which was him.

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
He was able to help me, I was having issues connecting via USB and with his help we got it figured out.