channnel updates

Discussion in 'Decades, Pop, Rock' started by philly30, Jan 21, 2009.

1. philly30

philly30 New Member

why does the sirius internet player and the car radios still list pop2k and cinemagic, is it really that difficult for them to properly update these channels

2. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

Actually, it's quite an undertaking for Sirius to do a channel update. They try to do them only a couple of times a year. It can be disruptive to the listeners as the radio locks up for a few minutes when the update takes place, some radios lose their presets, and some have issues if the update is not properly completed.

XM can (and does) do these kinds of changes on the fly in the background.

3. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

Frusterating, for sure, but as a sub to Sirius for almost 3 years now, I've learned to just live with the poor updates on Sirius part. >.<

4. MM

MM Administrator

My guess is that there is more to come.

It must be a lot of work just for 2 channels.

Maybe they're waiting for something?

5. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Channel mapping creates a lot of havoc for older tuners and they only like to do them when it is absolutely necessary. This is what happens when you have a system that doesn't allow for text changes on the fly. Clearly back in the early planning stages they didn't think much about this unlike XM.

Anyway... like most it is just one of those things you learn to live with or you can switch to an XM sub where this is never a problem.

6. philly30

philly30 New Member

wasn't it just recently where they moved channels around, like for example the area, the channel number changed and the name and that did not seem to be a problem adjusting, i think there were a few other channels moved around, also the 80's ,70's and so on changed names, so obviously its not a problem to do, they did not move to different channel numbers but sirius had no problem changing the names of the channels, so at least changing cinematic to the strobe should not be a problem. the website is not even updated, pure laziness, there is no excuse for that

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  7. kryptonite

kryptonite Well-Known Member

Changing the music isn't a problem.

Changing the channel names/logos/fancy background images is a small problem.

Honestly, I bet at least 75% of all Sirius radios could be kept on overnight during channel updates without a problem. Sure, you'd have to re-set some presets, but at least you wouldn't have to sit there while the thing reboots. And if you don't want to leave it on overnight, plug it in while you're taking that morning shower.