Changes at midnight?

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
One time it was 2:00 am another time it was 6:00 am.

I don't think I will staying up to see. Not this time.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I hope so. I'll be awake at 11:00 my time to get the update!

Here's to hoping. In the meantime, I'm spending the night listening to those Sirius channels that are getting axed. Even if I didnt tune in often. Sort of eerie, hearing the last hours.

The calm before the storm...

styckx

Nov 11, 2008
I'm curious about this myself and how XM handles it. For anyone who doesn't know, XM doesn't do "Channel Updates" they can do this stuff on the fly and you would never noticed other wise.

Hey, you Sirius subs, are you guys like us XM guys and being totally left in the dark from Sirius about this pending merging of channels? XM hasn't whispered a word about this AT ALL.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I'm curious about this myself and how XM handles it.

It happens overtime because it is done on the fly. So, you'll see channels vanish and new channels slowly drift in. It really is a smooth transition. As you go through your channel dial you'll see channels gone and then suddenly see new channels in their place. XM has a much superior system for doing this sort of thing.

I supspect we'll see their update at midnight eastern time, unless SIRIUS has them delay it to correspond with their update. But who knows maybe SIRIUS will move theirs up to correspond with XM's normal time.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
I'm curious about this myself and how XM handles it. For anyone who doesn't know, XM doesn't do "Channel Updates" they can do this stuff on the fly and you would never noticed other wise.

Hey, you Sirius subs, are you guys like us XM guys and being totally left in the dark from Sirius about this pending merging of channels? XM hasn't whispered a word about this AT ALL.
XM's new channel guide PDF.
http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/NE...M_LINEUP-1.pdf

snakester

Oct 29, 2008
Lovely Seacost NH
It happens overtime because it is done on the fly. So, you'll see channels vanish and new channels slowly drift in. It really is a smooth transition. As you go through your channel dial you'll see channels gone and then suddenly see new channels in their place. XM has a much superior system for doing this sort of thing.

Not to get too much off topic, but I do think Sirius' system is superior in one way: XM radios give you no confirmation that they've been activated or had the programming changed on them. This was a pain in the ass when I was helping my dad get his activated, as we were using a marginal signal to get the activation hit (he later mounted the antenna on his shed, but at the time it was covered in ice, and his house is in heavy tree cover so we were playing "chase the signal") and the only way to check to see if it got turned on was cycling through the channels over and over again until they all showed up. With Sirius, it pops up and says "Sub Updated". Much better IMO.*

I still think the way XM handles channel UPDATES is a lot better though.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
Not to get too much off topic, but I do think Sirius' system is superior in one way: XM radios give you no confirmation that they've been activated or had the programming changed on them. This was a pain in the ass when I was helping my dad get his activated, as we were using a marginal signal to get the activation hit (he later mounted the antenna on his shed, but at the time it was covered in ice, and his house is in heavy tree cover so we were playing "chase the signal") and the only way to check to see if it got turned on was cycling through the channels over and over again until they all showed up. With Sirius, it pops up and says "Sub Updated". Much better IMO.*

Also Sirius will reactivate a radio reported stolen. That's another thing I hope they don't bring to XM.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
No it will happen at 4 AM Eastern as it always has in the past when they did channel mapping updates. Very rarely have they deviated from this, but who knows for sure?

XM changes are happening at midnight. This has been confirmed. I can only assume they will have the channels synced by then so the transition may be smooth and not like the Johny Fever format change on WKRP in Cincinnati. :)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
the only way to check to see if it got turned on was cycling through the channels over and over again until they all showed up. With Sirius, it pops up and says "Sub Updated". Much better IMO.*

That is because XM doesn't technically do an update to your radio to subscribe you. They basically activate it and so the information trickles in over a period of about 20 minutes till you have everything. The situation you bring up is a rather unique one I think in most cases just flipping back through channels wouldn't really be that big of a deal. I think the on the fly channel changes off-set any inconvience of there not being an update completed notification. Not to metion the fact that Sirius system can't seem to figure out how to deactivate tuners when the subscription is canceled unless it is turned on at the time. The cool thing about the on the fly updates is that you can continue to enjoy programming and it happens in the background, yet on SIRIUS you basically watch a countdown screen telling you that the update is taking place, during this process recordings are screwed up and often times channel presets are lost. One thing about XM's system say if a channel is 24 and is preset number 2 on your radio. If they move it to channel 48, the preset is automatically updated to channel 48 and you don't have to go through and reset all your presets.

Anyway... like you said lets not get too far off topic. :)

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
2 minutes from midnight,and Lucy is playing Tori Amos's cover of "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Squizz is playing Nine Inch Nail's "Into The Void," XMU is playing Death Cab For Cutie's We Laugh Indoors, Ethel is playing The Mighty Mighty Bosstone's "So Sad To Say."

flap_jackson

Nov 10, 2008
12:00 AM:

XMU pad data says "Billy Zero back tomorrow"

Channel 55 showed Doctor Radio, then changed to a Spanish channel.

51 shows Holly, and is playing a Jose Feliciano song.

bwaldron

Oct 18, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
2 minutes from midnight,and Lucy is playing Tori Amos's cover of "Smells Like Teen Spirit." Squizz is playing Nine Inch Nail's "Into The Void," XMU is playing Death Cab For Cutie's We Laugh Indoors, Ethel is playing The Mighty Mighty Bosstone's "So Sad To Say."

"Will The Circle Be Unbroken" to close out X-Country.