CEO/Dir. of Mktg. Shab's Plan for SXM

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
OK, I'm never going to get one of those positions, but I have an action plan in place in case they lose their minds and hire me. Here are the main points:

1. Buy out/terminate the contracts of all non-subscription producing talent. Bye, bye Jamie Foxx. Bye, bye Martha. Bye, bye Mad Dog.

2. Do whatever it takes to hire top radio talent away from terrestrial, people that will generate subscriptions. Hello, Jim Rome. Welcome back full time, Bubba.

3. Understand that the buying audience will always be more than 75% male. Aggressively market at sporting events. Use hot models in skimpy outfits and give away cheap radios with 90-day-free trials.

4. Be on the leading edge of technology. Fix the SL2 and XMP3 bugs and create a new portable so awesome that everyone will have to have it.

5. Work in conjunction with other industry leading companies. I'm thinking a combined satrad/Pandora device.

6. Operate Sirius and XM as two separate divisions and have them compete with each other. Have more one-or-the-other channels, some of them subscriber programmed. Allow someone to get all of them for a nominal fee.

7. Come up with a new identity other than satellite radio to try and let the tech savvy know that SXM is morphing into something more than just what it's been and get them interested again.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
1. Agreed. If you don't pull your weight, see you later.
2. Yes. And make it exclusive to Sirius XM, obviously.
3. Indeed. Ideally, people would be sitting at NASCAR races, listening to the drivers via Sirius XM, but that's not happening, is it?
4. I think we're starting to see this with the XM SkyDock, or at least I hope so.
5. This would be great. Better yet, a Slacker unit with the ability to listen to the Sirius XM talk channels would be awesome. You could listen to Sirius XM's music channels AND have the ability to "ban" songs or artists.
6. I'm not quite sure that would work. What if someone wanted MLB and NFL play by play? I think you'd need every radio to get every channel. Unless if you wanted EVERY XM and Sirius channel past and present to come back, then the subscribers could pick the channels they wanted.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
6. I'm not quite sure that would work. What if someone wanted MLB and NFL play by play? I think you'd need every radio to get every channel. Unless if you wanted EVERY XM and Sirius channel past and present to come back, then the subscribers could pick the channels they wanted.

I'd have a lot of ala carte options to allow the MLB/NFL thing, for example. I think exclusivity for some music channels to one or the other would encourage some dual subbing, and I'd make some great radios just for that.

Make Sirius the brand for baby boomers that want lots of Eagles hits plus talk and sports. Make XM the brand for gen-y-ers that want the Paul Oakenfold crap. Give everyone reasonable cost and technology options to get both if they wish.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I think they could dump the whole "radio" part entirely. A lot of what they're doing is radio certainly, but in so many people's eyes, they simply would not pay for "radio" They may however pay for "audio entertainment"

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
I agree with almost everything that has been said, however, from a Marketing standpoint it really IS important that SiriusXM have Oprah, Martha, etc. Although probably not as important as it was pre-merger.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
I think they could dump the whole "radio" part entirely. A lot of what they're doing is radio certainly, but in so many people's eyes, they simply would not pay for "radio" They may however pay for "audio entertainment"

That's why I would rebrand it and never use the term "satellite radio." This was actually my idea:

Sirim: the antidote for boring radio!

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
I agree with almost everything that has been said, however, from a Marketing standpoint it really IS important that SiriusXM have Oprah, Martha, etc. Although probably not as important as it was pre-merger.

If Oprah would take less $, she could stay. However, I would want top radio talent that appeals to guys first, not actors that have never done radio before.

Let's be honest, what's the percentage of women have run out and gotten a PNP installed in their car or home (minus Stern fanatics)?

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
If Oprah would take less $, she could stay. However, I would want top radio talent that appeals to guys first, not actors that have never done radio before.

Let's be honest, what's the percentage of women have run out and gotten a PNP installed in their car or home (minus Stern fanatics)?

That is true, can't be that many relatively. Let me expand on that a bit, what I really meant was their is not a lot you can do to "sell" a service like this. What do you do if your SiriXm? Can you say "we play more mainstream music" or if you were XM back in the day could you say "we play deeper cuts of the music you love" both of those statements are slippery slopes, they are too objective. HOWEVER, you can say, well, we have Oprah, NASCAR, Stern, ACC Basketball, etc. Those things are "real", music playlists are not....

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
That is true, can't be that many relatively. Let me expand on that a bit, what I really meant was their is not a lot you can do to "sell" a service like this. What do you do if your SiriXm? Can you say "we play more mainstream music" or if you were XM back in the day could you say "we play deeper cuts of the music you love" both of those statements are slippery slopes, they are too objective. HOWEVER, you can say, well, we have Oprah, NASCAR, Stern, ACC Basketball, etc. Those things are "real", music playlists are not....

True, but current and former management threw too much $ at non-radio people for the "name factor." That wouldn't have been a big deal had they committed to actually creating programming, but most of them were getting a check while putting their daugthers and buddies on the air.

It would have been better to attract true radio fans with names like Jim Rome or Phil Hendrie.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
One other thing: I'd be working hand-in-hand with NASCAR marketing to make sure that every one of their fans had a satellite radio and that my service had all the programming necessary to make them never drop it.

Heck, I might even sponsor a driver.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
Although I am not a big Nascar fan, IIRC, Sirius did sponsor Montoya, back in the day. Sirius also sponsored the race at Watkins Glen.

I'm not much of a fan, either. However, by the time I was done, NASCAR fans would consider SXM as integral to their sport as Marlboro.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I'd have a lot of ala carte options to allow the MLB/NFL thing, for example. I think exclusivity for some music channels to one or the other would encourage some dual subbing, and I'd make some great radios just for that.

Make Sirius the brand for baby boomers that want lots of Eagles hits plus talk and sports. Make XM the brand for gen-y-ers that want the Paul Oakenfold crap. Give everyone reasonable cost and technology options to get both if they wish.

Good points. If you want NFL PbP, then make it $10 for the entire season, or $5 for the half-season. Same thing with other leagues. Give the listeners about 30 sports channels that can be used for ONLY sports PbP.

I honestly think the days of dual subbing are good, and I think that's a good thing. While I can understand it could boost subscribers, do we REALLY need two radio hookups in our cars? The obvious solution would be to make docks that connect to XM AND Sirius radios.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
One other thing: I'd be working hand-in-hand with NASCAR marketing to make sure that every one of their fans had a satellite radio and that my service had all the programming necessary to make them never drop it.

Heck, I might even sponsor a driver.

Bubba is a big Tony Stewart fan.

Done deal, right there.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
Good points. If you want NFL PbP, then make it $10 for the entire season, or $5 for the half-season. Same thing with other leagues. Give the listeners about 30 sports channels that can be used for ONLY sports PbP.

I honestly think the days of dual subbing are good, and I think that's a good thing. While I can understand it could boost subscribers, do we REALLY need two radio hookups in our cars? The obvious solution would be to make docks that connect to XM AND Sirius radios.

Each channel and each brand would have programming teams in competition with each other. I'd hire Arbitron to give me quarterly satellite ratings and would reward the brand/channels that do better with bonuses and awards.

Make SXM as exciting a place for music nerds to work at as MTV was in their heyday.

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
Here is something that has puzzled me since Sirius came out with the Stiletto: I really wish that they would go after the Ipod audience, I know we have the skydock, etc. But, I really think they should play up the portability of the Stiletto line, the ability to record, AND put your own MP3's on it. The fact that a Ipod takes some work setting up playlists, etc, but with the Stiletto, the programmers do the "work" for you...

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
Here is something that has puzzled me since Sirius came out with the Stiletto: I really wish that they would go after the Ipod audience, I know we have the skydock, etc. But, I really think they should play up the portability of the Stiletto line, the ability to record, AND put your own MP3's on it. The fact that a Ipod takes some work setting up playlists, etc, but with the Stiletto, the programmers do the "work" for you...

I didn't think the SL2 supported playlists. Between Sirius' so-so sound and only basic mp3 functionality on the SL2, it's not much competition for an iPod. The XMP3 is closer and sounds better, but the iPod still has many more features.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana

Don't even get me started on the playlist situation on the Stiletto. The MP3 functionality and SD card reader functionality is by far the absolute worse implementation I've ever seen on a device. Well I take that back the playlist creating on a Slacker G2 is even worse than the Stiletto.

None the less my hope was that the SL2 would have allowed on the fly or even a simple way via a software program to create playlist. In my book this was a huge missed opportunity!

By the way Shab your business plan looks pretty good, I could see much of that working for the better!

joe2k4

Nov 12, 2008
Well one person said people would ideally listen at the events well this can't happen because of sat delay. Then again fm is delaying the games now so you can sync up with your tv.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
OK, I'm never going to get one of those positions, but I have an action plan in place in case they lose their minds and hire me. Here are the main points:

1. Buy out/terminate the contracts of all non-subscription producing talent. Bye, bye Jamie Foxx. Bye, bye Martha. Bye, bye Mad Dog.

2. Do whatever it takes to hire top radio talent away from terrestrial, people that will generate subscriptions. Hello, Jim Rome. Welcome back full time, Bubba.

3. Understand that the buying audience will always be more than 75% male. Aggressively market at sporting events. Use hot models in skimpy outfits and give away cheap radios with 90-day-free trials.

4. Be on the leading edge of technology. Fix the SL2 and XMP3 bugs and create a new portable so awesome that everyone will have to have it.

5. Work in conjunction with other industry leading companies. I'm thinking a combined satrad/Pandora device.

6. Operate Sirius and XM as two separate divisions and have them compete with each other. Have more one-or-the-other channels, some of them subscriber programmed. Allow someone to get all of them for a nominal fee.

7. Come up with a new identity other than satellite radio to try and let the tech savvy know that SXM is morphing into something more than just what it's been and get them interested again.
Why get rid of Jamie Foxx? Is his commercial free channel supposed to produce revenue? Hasn't Sirius already limited programming geared towards the African-American subscribers? Why not get rid of the Elvis channel or the Margarita channel or one of the other 20+ rock channels. If you have to get rid of a black person get rid of Oprah.