Censorship: This week only

mch

Nov 11, 2008
Las Vegas
So has said a CSR, overheard third-hand on another forum.

Apparently, Octane is already playing some songs with the naughty words in.

awfulwaffle

Oct 28, 2008
Most songs don't even have a reason to toss in obscene words....

Does it really matter? It's still the same music.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
Most songs don't even have a reason to toss in obscene words....

Does it really matter? It's still the same music.

No it isn't and not even close. What does obscene have to do with it? Define obscene?

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Apparently, Octane is already playing some songs with the naughty words in.

I been listening to Octane for over couple of years now and they always have cussing in the lyrics. I never want to hear censorship on Octane and even Hard Attack which is now called Liquid Metal!!!

Fergz99

Oct 14, 2008
one second of censorship on pay radio is unacceptable. HHN has been unlistenable the last few days and last night I heard Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name of and it was censored. Why bother playing that song if you are going to edit it ? I would rather have commercials then censorship, not that I am asking for commercials.

Supafly

Oct 12, 2008
"So has said a CSR, overheard third-hand on another forum."

That's about the worst source of information you can depend on.

My third cousin's best friend's sister told me Sirius was going to launch a satellite signal that dosen't drop out when a fig leaf flutters over the antenna, but I don't believe her.

If a CSR told me the sun rises in the east I'd fly to Japan to make sure.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
one second of censorship on pay radio is unacceptable. HHN has been unlistenable the last few days and last night I heard Rage Against the Machine - Killing in the Name of and it was censored. Why bother playing that song if you are going to edit it ? I would rather have commercials then censorship, not that I am asking for commercials.

I don't totally agree with that. It makes sense on the pop stations which will likely be listened to by parnets and kids. Now a channel of 90s alt rock? Chance are that kids are not listening to that one and if they are....I mean, it's its a closed circuit service more so than tradational cable! At some point, you can't blame the media!

mch

Nov 11, 2008
Las Vegas
"So has said a CSR, overheard third-hand on another forum."

That's about the worst source of information you can depend on.

Well, let me put it this way. It's on a forum of concerned paying customers who I have faith wouldn't BS on something like this.

I would bet more money on the CSR BSing the person posting on the forum than the person on the forum BSing. Clear?

Supafly

Oct 12, 2008
Well, let me put it this way. It's on a forum of concerned paying customers who I have faith wouldn't BS on something like this.

I would bet more money on the CSR BSing the person posting on the forum than the person on the forum BSing. Clear?

Yes Sir!, MCH Sir!

Permission to return to lightheartedness now, Sir!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I think censorship is something that is a necessary evil on Sat Radio. Though I'd personally prefer their to be none, I do understand the need for it. However, with that said I do think that families have to review the stations and as long as stations are marked with the xL then this gives the families the info they need to know those stations aren't cool. I don't think the service should be sanitized in the name of families and children. Those that want to hear the explicit lyrics should certainly have that option. Sirius XM has a fine line to walk here, but I think it is possible to do it and remain family friendly, yet true to the artist intent in terms of the explicit lyrics.

I just wish sat radio was like Slacker (I know guys seems I mention Slacker in every thread - Sorry I love it) where you could just click to allow for explicit content or not. But Sat Radio doesn't work that way unfortunately. Then again when you click not to allow explicit content on Slacker then every channel is sanitized and you'll get the censored FM radio cuts.

dualsub2006

Nov 11, 2008
I just wish sat radio was like Slacker (I know guys seems I mention Slacker in every thread - Sorry I love it) where you could just click to allow for explicit content or not. But Sat Radio doesn't work that way unfortunately. Then again when you click not to allow explicit content on Slacker then every channel is sanitized and you'll get the censored FM radio cuts.

But it does work that way. There are "family friendly" options available.

If the word shit or fuck offends you then you likely shouldn't be listening to (God I miss Ethel, Lucy and Squizz) Lithium, Alt Nation or Octane. I mean, seriously. Bleep out the wirty dords and you are left with lyrics filled with sex, violence, drugs and all sorts of other sordid topics.

Without switching to family friendly there are LOADS of options for clean music. If you are a business that subscribes and are playing one of the three previously mentioned channels then I am guessing that your customers would be ok with the wirty dords being played with all of the other filth that is included in music today. If not, change the f'ing channel.

Supafly

Oct 12, 2008
There's already family friendly music. The 50's channel. Since then people pretty much like swearing and talking about sex and violence when they sing.

Kids got the Disney and the Chrisitian channels and Family comedy and the Weather channels all curse free.

Maybe they can add a VChip if they don't want them listening to the hilarious filth on Raw Dog or Howard Stern.

Now if they only add commercials to the music they can change the name from Sirius XM to Clear Channel and provide satellite programming for free.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Maybe they can add a VChip if they don't want them listening to the hilarious filth on Raw Dog or Howard Stern.

Now if they only add commercials to the music they can change the name from Sirius XM to Clear Channel and provide satellite programming for free.

They have Parental Control so you can block out certain channels for young kids.

I never want to hear commercials on our satellite channels, if they start doing that then I will probably quite and just listen to my iPod!

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
so is this bull or not? HipHop stations that are censored is unacceptable as everything they say will have to be bleeped out AND THIS IS PAY RADIO!!! What the hell is going on?? Listening to Lil Kim and it sounds like the recording is broken. That's not music that's music that went through the meat grinder

roger2001

Nov 15, 2008
I actually called to complain about the censorship. He tried to tell me they had to do it so they could add new channels in the future. I didnt take it and pressed the issue, so he sent a note to the program directors of the channels. I am happy because on the Channels I called about (Alt Nation and Octane), they have since changed their policy on censorship and play the music uncensored.

As far as the need for censorhip, the channels that dont have it, generally also have themes, such as drugs and sex, that would be much more offensive to families.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
But it does work that way. There are "family friendly" options available.

Yes it does work that way, but the point I was making which I evidently didn't convey very well is that there are currently stations that Sirius XM have marked as xL that currently appear to be censored and that should not be.

The only responsibility Sirius XM has is the mark those stations with xL and the rest should be left to the family to take care of themselves.

I honestly don't think you and I disagree on this. By the same token I have heard DJ's and such over the years use foul language totally unnecessarily on stations that were not marked xL. Now that falls on Sirius XM to make sure that doesn't happen.