Censoring is a "glitch"

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
According to Orbitcast, some channels, especially Lithium, are pulling songs from XM's library, but pulling the WRONG (censored) songs. Supposedly this is a known glitch and they are currently working on debugging it.

Makes you wonder if some of the music itself is being pulled from the wrong library on Lithium, since there have been many threads about the Lithium playlist not fitting its genre.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I think it's far more likely a glitch than not. I just wish they would publicly admit they are working on things.

Glitch, F'up, SNAFU, moment of weakness, drunken fit, the condom broke, whatever!
The real question to me is, how can it take so long to fix?

Nobody is asking Mel to personally do it. Hell, the intern could sit in front of the server and fix it in a day.

Hell, I'll do it for a six pack.
(Bottles, no cans.)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
The glitch is Sirius bought XM and have their garbage now!

Oh quit! XM was and never has been garbage! Different programming philosophies doesn't equal garbage.

I too feel this is just an issue with them doing this change over and while it appears to be taking them longer than one would think they will eventually get this cleaned up. No pun intended!

downsj

Nov 17, 2008
Oh quit! XM was and never has been garbage! Different programming philosophies doesn't equal garbage.

While XM was never garbage, you'll probably find a lot of Sirius customers who liked Lithium, and did not like Lucy. Since Lucy is actually the channel that survived the merger, Lithium is playing a lot of "garbage" now.

Just felt I should clarify, as I feel the same way about the "new" Lithium, radio edits aside.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
While XM was never garbage, you'll probably find a lot of Sirius customers who liked Lithium, and did not like Lucy. Since Lucy is actually the channel that survived the merger, Lithium is playing a lot of "garbage" now.

Just felt I should clarify, as I feel the same way about the "new" Lithium, radio edits aside.

Well I think the term garbabe when it comes to music is subjective to ones taste, that is my point! It isn't a good term to use.

One persons music uh garbage is anothers treasure! :p

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
Well I think the term garbabe when it comes to music is subjective to ones taste, that is my point! It isn't a good term to use.

One persons music uh garbage is anothers treasure! :p

I like Garbage! Shirley Manson has this hot thing going on, and they sound great.

shirley_l.jpg

And surely I'm sirius when I say that Lithium is different, but not ruined. There are some tracks that I'd like to see shifted to different channels, and then there's the censorship thing (that hopefully is taken care of over the coming weeks.) But it's not ruined. I like a little added depth to the play list.

leviramsey

Nov 24, 2008
Lithium fucking played 10,000 Maniacs just now... I think we have a winner for artist least likely to be played by the original Lithium.

Octane (aka Squizz) plays a lot more 90s (and it's the harder cuts that Lucium has deemphasized) than the old Octane, but you gotta wade through the shitty more recent rock to get the nuggets.

XM has never understood active rock; indeed, they launched without an active rocker (Squizz got carved out as something between Ethel, Boneyard, and LM). Octane has been at Sirius since very early on and is arguably the flagship current rock channel.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
I'm just plain and simply appalled at the songs that are being played on my channels; Octane, Lithium , Chill, (I heard the theme from Taxi on Chill today COME ON!). It's PATHETIC. Don't get me started on Boombox. It's sad to say but the only reason that I have Sirius at this point is Howard. Once he's gone, I am gone.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
I like Garbage! Shirley Manson has this hot thing going on, and they sound great.

View attachment 87

And surely I'm sirius when I say that Lithium is different, but not ruined. There are some tracks that I'd like to see shifted to different channels, and then there's the censorship thing (that hopefully is taken care of over the coming weeks.) But it's not ruined. I like a little added depth to the play list.
And she's a freakin' sexy ass Terminator.;)

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I have noticed Hip Hop Nation has been playing less censored songs in the morning and early afternoon (Eastern Time), and is currently playing uncensored material right this minute. Getting better.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON

What is there under the name "Lithium" now is not Lucy as far as I can tell. Lucy was Hutton's gem and he is long gone. I guess somebody is attepting to mix the 2 and pissing off both Lucy and Lithium listener's in the process.

Supafly

Oct 12, 2008
When they "pull a song" don't they read the title and see it's the clean version. Or just pull a lever like a slot machine and play what comes up? Just more of the same mediocrity and excuses they've used for years.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
When they "pull a song" don't they read the title and see it's the clean version. Or just pull a lever like a slot machine and play what comes up? Just more of the same mediocrity and excuses they've used for years.

Actually I think the process is likely automated and no one looks at each song that is pulled up. That would be very time consuming and since they have 10 programmers (fired everyone else) programming 69 stations it is no way they could do this. I am exaggerating, but you get my point.

SISO

Oct 11, 2008
Ok, how hard is it to go into their song bank and edit a title to let it be known to the programmer that this is the uncensored version?

To use KingChuck's song:
Edited: Sowing the Seeds of Love
Un-edited: Sowing the Seeds of Love XL

I call lazyness because SURELY they have spent money on a top dollar computer program.

edgarb

Oct 19, 2008
I quit listening to Lithium b/c the Sirius playlists sucked....too much repetition...but the new channel is great!

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Ok, how hard is it to go into their song bank and edit a title to let it be known to the programmer that this is the uncensored version?

To use KingChuck's song:
Edited: Sowing the Seeds of Love
Un-edited: Sowing the Seeds of Love XL

I call lazyness because SURELY they have spent money on a top dollar computer program.

That is assuming the music files are some how marked as explicit so that the computer could automatically do this pruning out of radio edits. I think it is unlikely the system can distinguish between the two. I'd be the last to make up excuses for Sirius, but clearly it is getting better and it is taking time, which means they can't automate the process.