Celebrity Death Thread 2020

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
And a fourth. Kenny Rogers had 56 top-40 country hits (including duets) and 21 of those went to number one, including Lucille, Daytime Friends, The Gambler, She Believes In Me, You Decorated My Life, Coward Of The County, Morning Desire and Tomb Of The Unknown Love. Two of his number ones, Islands In The Stream (with Dolly Parton) and Lady, also went to number one on the Billboard Hot 100.

Among the members of The Great Society were Grace Slick, her husband Jerry on drums and his brother Darby on guitar. The sextet formed in 1965 and released only one single, Someone To Love (written by Darby). In 1966, Grace replaced Signe Anderson as lead singer of Jefferson Airplane. With her new band, she re-recorded the song, retitled Somebody To Love, and it became Jefferson Airplane's first hit. The Great Society broke up and Jerry joined a new group, The Final Solution. That group broke up after a year and Jerry became a filmmaker of television commercials. He won a Clio award for a public-service ad recruiting officers for the San Francisco Police Department.

Reactions: semipenguin

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Weissberg played banjo, guitar, steel guitar, mandolin and dobro. In 1972, he and banjoist/guitarist Steve Mandell recorded Dueling Banjos, a remake of Arthur "Guitar Boogie" Smith's 1955 song Feuding Banjos. Their song appeared in the Burt Reynolds movie Deliverance, went to #2 on the Billboard Hot 100 in February 1973 and won a Grammy award for best country instrumental. (Martin Mull recorded a parody, Dueling Tubas.) Weissberg also worked as a session musician on albums by Bob Dylan, Judy Collins, Billy Joel, John Denver, Tom Paxton, Melanie, Richie Havens, Loudon Wainwright III and other artists.

Eric Weissberg, 'Dueling Banjos' and 'Blood on the Tracks' Musician, Dead at 80

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Warren founded the psychedelic rock band Psychic Ills in 2003. They've released five albums, five EPs and four singles. Among their best-known songs are Killer, January Rain, Moon Duo, Fade Me Out and Another Day Another Night.

Psychic Ills lead singer/guitarist Tres Warren dead at 41

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
Third. Emmanuel N'Djoké Dibango released 62 studio albums and three live albums. Soul Makossa, his best-known song in the United States – "Makossa" means "I will dance" – was a #21 R&B hit and #35 pop hit in July 1973. Michael Jackson used the song's "ma-ma-se, ma-ma-sa, ma-ma-ko-sa" chant in his 1983 hit Wanna Be Startin' Somethin'.

Reactions: HecticArt

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
I'm starting to think we should have a separate obituary thread for all the actors, musicians, authors, athletes, politicians and other famous people who are dying from the COVID-19 virus.

McNally won four Tony awards and two Obie awards. He also won an Emmy award for writing Andre's Mother, a 1990 made-for-tv movie adapted from his screenplay about a woman dealing with her son's death from AIDS. Among McNally's best-known plays are Ragtime, Bad Habits, The Ritz, The Full Monty, Kiss Of The Spider Woman and Love! Valour! Compassion!

Channel98

Don't yell or hit.
Feb 2, 2019
Glendale CA
COVID-19 has claimed the life of another actor. Blum appeared in 20 movies including Crocodile Dundee and 39 tv series including 30 episodes of Mozart In The Jungle, 13 episodes of Capital News and two episodes of Law & Order and NYPD Blue.