Casey Kasem's American Top 40 - The 70s

Discussion in 'Decades, Pop, Rock' started by mgbmac, Aug 14, 2009.

1. mgbmac

mgbmac New Member

I try to listen each week to the countdown and I am amazed that Sirius does not post the actual date for each week's show in advance. The site goes overboard in listing schedules and topics for its various channels, why not American Top 40?! Other radio stations that stream the show state the upcoming week's schedule and often the actual list of songs in order! See the following site:
    WHNN-FM

I enjoy each week's show, I just want to know in advance the actual date of the original broadcast!
    Last edited: Aug 14, 2009
  2. goreds2

goreds2 Well, you know........

I think (but not sure) sometimes the XM FEATURED THIS WEEK page shows the date of the broadcast.

This Week on XM
  3. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

With few exceptions, you can know the date of the broadcast will be between 1970 and 1974. Sirius XM does not acknowledge there was more of the 70s that existed.
  4. goreds2

YEP, this mornings show is from 8/15/1970.
    Last edited: Aug 17, 2009
  5. kingchuck69

kingchuck69 Slutmobile = BANNED

8/15/1970.

Honestly, I like the countdowns with the cheesy synth theme better. Not as much disco and a lot more rare tunes.
  6. Troglodyte

Troglodyte New Member

You may not believe this, but when XM got AT40 3 yrs ago, they would do 1979 every other week! You rarely heard early 70's countdowns. I guess its too much work to make it fair and balanced. Actually, we should be lucky AT40 is still on......
  7. JYJr

JYJr Member

This was only the 7th show they ever did. It seemed like Casey was using more of a "generic radio announcer" voice at this point.
  8. IdRatherBeSkiing

The glory days. :)

On XM they repeated countdowns more. I like the no repeats but would prefer a more even distribution of years. I tend to prefer countdowns from 1978 and 1979 and would like to be able to listen to 2 countodwns in 10.
  9. Couchpotato

Couchpotato New Member

Today's was from 8/20/1977...Awesome line up...:bigthumbup:

CASEY KASEM’S AMERICAN TOP 40 – 8/20/77
    40: THAT’S ROCK & ROLL – SHAUN CASSIDY
    39: SUNFLOWER – GLEN CAMPBELL
    38: HARD ROCK CAFÉ – CAROLE KING
    37: IT’S A CRAZY WORLD – MAC MACANELLY
    36: SO YOU WIN AGAIN – HOT CHOCOLATE
    35: LOOKS LIKE WE MADE IT – BARY MANILOW
    34: DON’T WORRY BABY – B.J. THOMAS
    33: EDGE OF THE UNIVERSE – BEE GEES
    32: SLIDE – SLADE
    31: UNDERCOVER AGENT – ALLEN O’DAY
    30: KEEP IT COMIN’ LOVE – K.C. & THE SUNSHINE BAND
    29: CRISTINE SIXTEEN – KISS
    28: DA DOO RON RON – SHAUN CASSIDY
    27: MY HEART BELONGS TO ME – BARBRA STRIESAND
    26: YOU’RE MY WORLD – HELEN REDDY
    25: ON AND ON – ELVIN BISHOP
    24: SWAYIN’ TO THE MUSIC – JOHNNY RIVERS
    23: STRAWBERRY LETTER #23 – BROTHERS JOHNSON
    22: COLD AS ICE – FOREIGNER
    21: THEME FROM “STAR WARS” – LONDON SYMPHONY ORCHESTRA
    20: BLACK BETTY – RAM JAM
    19: HOW MUCH LOVE – LEO SAYER
    18: GIVE A LITTLE BIT – SUPERTRAMP
    17: LET’S STAY TOGETHER – AL GREEN
    16: TELEPHONE LINE – E.L.O.
    15: SMOKE FROM A DISTANT FIRE – STANFORD TOWNSEND BAND
    14: BARRACUDA – HEART
    13: FLOAT ON – FLOATERS
    12: HANDY MAN – JAMES TAYLOR
    11: DON’T STOP – FLEETWOOD MAC
    10: YOU MAKE ME BELIEVE IN MAGIC – BAY CITY ROLLERS
    9: YOU AND ME –ALICE COOPER
    8: JUST A SONG BEFORE I GO – CROSBY, STILLS & NASH
    7: DO YOU WANT TO MAKE LOVE – PETER MC CANN
    6: WHAT YOU GONNA’ DO – PABLO CRUZ
    5: EASY – COMMODORES
    4: I’M IN YOU – PETER FRAMPTON
    3: HIGHER & HIGHER – RITA COOLIDGE
    2: I JUST WANT TO BE YOUR EVERYTHING – ANDY GIBB
    1: THE BEST OF MY LOVE – EMOTIONS
  10. IdRatherBeSkiing

Co-incidence? I think not.
  11. Ifandorbut

Ifandorbut Well-Known Member

1977 was roughly the time I started to abandon the Top 40 and started listening with earnest to the harder FM rock. I would still check in from time to time, but the disco march became too strong for my liking.

Coincidentally this was the time when I discovered rock/shock jock pioneer Dennis Erectus. Dennis' show was outrageous comparatively with everyone else at this time. Only Steve Dahl was doing the kind of radio Dennis did. Howard would later pioneer the same type of outrageous radio on the East Coast, and get the lion share of credit, but if anyone is interested you should look into the career of Dennis Erectus, he was ahead of his time.

KOME - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
  12. goreds2

This date/lineup is being repeated this morning.
  13. goreds2

When I used to work over nights, I would update this thread. I recorded it Monday morning. It was from 5/19/1979. Good stuff.
  14. TimTimSalabim

TimTimSalabim Active Member

It's always weird to hear Casey say things like "Here's a four-man group that calls themselves 'The Eagles'...".
  15. IdRatherBeSkiing

Or talk about the new group and their 1st hit as if it is the start of something big ... and we know its a 1 hit wonder.
  16. goreds2

I love this show. Still record it once or twice a month.
  17. SIRIUSaboutXM

SIRIUSaboutXM DRC Special Contributor

Only 2 times to catch this now according to the updated schedule. They had dropped the 9pm- midnight show for Saturday Night Party Fever with Deney Terrio last week, now they have dropped the Noon-3pm Saturday afternoon show. Now we'll have to listen Sundays 9 am ET - Noon or Mondays Midnight - 3 am .:(

Maybe something new is planned for Saturday afternoons on 70'son7 in the future?
  18. IdRatherBeSkiing

I have to assume this is a typo. Sat @ noon is when they always announce on air it will be run.
  19. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

Sounds like AT40 will suffer the same fate on the 70s channel as it did on the 80s channel.
    Get ready for Spyder Harris... err...J.J Walker's Top 30 Weekly Flashback Countdown Show!!!!!

I'll really miss those AT40 countdowns. But I guess in this era of cost cutting, why continue to pay the fees to Premiere to run the AT40 shows when they could cook something up internally??
  20. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Moderator

I always think of Dexy's Midnight Runners.