Cancelled Radio Still Working

feindav

Apr 17, 2009
Anyone ever have this happen? I cancelled 2 radios about a year ago and had 'em in my closet. I was thinking about selling 'em so I hooked 'em up to make sure they'd turn on and they both still get service.

IronJabroni

Oct 13, 2008
yes, believe it or not this is not uncommon especially if you leave the unit off for a month or so just after you cancel it

feindav

Apr 17, 2009
Will it ever get cancelled out? Like if I leave them on for a while, will the satellite eventually see that it's getting service without a sub?

And would they try to charge me for those months of use w/o a sub? I'd like to know b/4 I sell it and a few months later, I start getting charged.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
I think they are up to something as in Sat radio will have a free "always on" line up that's commercial based. This maybe the early stages.

Of they just f'd up.

IronJabroni

Oct 13, 2008
Will it ever get cancelled out? Like if I leave them on for a while, will the satellite eventually see that it's getting service without a sub?

And would they try to charge me for those months of use w/o a sub? I'd like to know b/4 I sell it and a few months later, I start getting charged.

Maybe, you never know. IMO you have no worries here no matter what you do with this unit, they should not ever charge you for it since you are on record as cancelling the sevice on it.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I have had several radio's over the years that were cancelled and stay on long after. Yes, they will eventually get de-activated, someday. I went almost 2 years with my last one, listening daily to it for a few hours at a time. Never got turned off. But, One night I left the house and forgot to turn the radio off. I came back about 15 hours later and poof, no more sub. It's only a matter of time. Another radio I had worked for another year or so and just randomly turned off while regular listening.

atlwxman

Oct 14, 2008
I too have had a few radios that continued to receive programming after cancellation. Sirius seems to be more diligent about cancelling these accounts over the last year.

You can't be charged as long as you went through the cancellation process correctly. It is Sirius's responsibility to disable the sub.

zevious

Oct 12, 2008
Satellite Radio receivers only receive. They do not send any information out. Sirius cannot detect if your radio is active or not. They can only send a signal to disable it if it's not paid for.

spaceghost

Jan 20, 2009
Anyone ever have this happen? I cancelled 2 radios about a year ago and had 'em in my closet. I was thinking about selling 'em so I hooked 'em up to make sure they'd turn on and they both still get service.

Yeah.. they just haven't received the deactivation signal. After a couple of months the probability of them receiving a deact signal is nil.

machpost

Feb 18, 2009
I let the subscription lapse after my free 6-month trial was up, and it took about a month before the OEM Sirius receiver in my Volvo got cut off.

Bigrock

Oct 15, 2008
I had a car with a dead battery that sat in the garage. I finally canceled Sirius and after a few months I fixed it and Sirius worked for almost a year, I remember getting zapped off the day before Howard started.

TOM C.

Oct 25, 2008
Charleston SC
I recently replaced my 3 year old s-100 with the s-2. I was putting away radio, wires, and whatnot, when I remembered where I put my sportster gen1 that the s-100 replaced over 3 years ago, Just for old times I plugged it up. After almost 40 months it still started with the NFL team that I had, Went into channel update, and then started playing. Even still had the same presets. WOW. Thing is the size of a brick but wish the Stilettos were as bug free. Kind of missed the green display. I can remember using the FM transmitter on this thing in the house with it docked in the driveway.

macfanatic010

Nov 8, 2008
When I switched over to XM only from dual subscription in December last year, I cancelled my Sirius subscription when the unit was off. I left it in my desk for a few months but then decided to take it out and see if it still worked and use it as a secondary radio if it did. It worked...until late August. Sirius finally got the radio then.