Canadian News

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
canada should have it's own news page.

and what better way to start that off then with the elusive "mystery dildo bandit."

'Mystery dildo bandit:' St. John's sex shop searches for alleged robber - Newfoundland & Labrador - CBC News

our-pleasure-facebook-post-alleged-theft.jpg

a true menace to society.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Yeah. That's sad.

Terrorists will always want to hurt people. Even in a country where assault weapons are mostly illegal

That's why gun control arguments are for the most part red herrings. Gun control stops the guy from shooting his wife or kids from accidently killing their friends, but they don't stop these insane killers on rampages.

scotchandcigar

All I wanted was some steak
Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
That's why gun control arguments are for the most part red herrings. Gun control stops the guy from shooting his wife or kids from accidently killing their friends, but they don't stop these insane killers on rampages.
Existing US gun regulations (such as background checks) are only done for 30% of the states. That's the problem. Automobile licensing and registration is required for 100% of drivers. Your pharmacy database follows you across 100% of the country.

In addition, information that should be shared with the background check database (such as terrorist watchlists) are not. It's pathetic. It can be improved a hundred-fold without affecting anyone's existing rights.

Reactions: semipenguin

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Existing US gun regulations (such as background checks) are only done for 30% of the states. That's the problem. Automobile licensing and registration is required for 100% of drivers. Your pharmacy database follows you across 100% of the country.

In addition, information that should be shared with the background check database (such as terrorist watchlists) are not. It's pathetic. It can be improved a hundred-fold without affecting anyone's existing rights.

I agree that there should be full background checks, etc. My point is that will not make any difference since people doing illegal acts cannot be expected to follow legal processes to acquire weapons for those acts.

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
I agree that there should be full background checks, etc. My point is that will not make any difference since people doing illegal acts cannot be expected to follow legal processes to acquire weapons for those acts.
Two things:
1) Like you, most people agree on full background checks, yet we've made zero progress in doing so in the US.
2) Nearly all of the high-profile murders that have been committed in modern times, have involved legally purchased weapons.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Two things:
1) Like you, most people agree on full background checks, yet we've made zero progress in doing so in the US.
2) Nearly all of the high-profile murders that have been committed in modern times, have involved legally purchased weapons.

Regarding 2, how many would have been stopped by a background check .... keeping in mind that the asswipe hasn't gone visibly batshit crazy yet?

scotchandcigar

Feb 13, 2009
Vacationland
Regarding 2, how many would have been stopped by a background check .... keeping in mind that the asswipe hasn't gone visibly batshit crazy yet?
I can't pinpoint specifics right now, but I remember that a few of the mass shootings in recent years (maybe the movie theater, Sandy Hook, Charleston church, San Bernadino) involved perpetrators that tried unsuccessfully to buy more guns in the days leading up to the massacre. And in some of those cases, the lack of backup weapons allowed for the shooter to be taken down.

It's sadly well known that the background check for Dylan Roof was botched; the wrong police department was called, among other errors.
http://www.nytimes.com/2015/07/11/us/background-check-flaw-let-dylann-roof-buy-gun-fbi-says.html

But I also said this
information that should be shared with the background check database (such as terrorist watchlists) are not. It's pathetic. It can be improved a hundred-fold without affecting anyone's existing rights.
So basically, a lot can be done right now, without changing any laws. But it certainly won't.