Can I use my factory installed antenna with new Stiletto? 2005 Expedation

cbot101

Mar 21, 2009
I have a 2005 Ford Expedation, it came with Sirius and had a factory installed antenna. Can I use the factory installed antenna with my radio or do I have to still use the exterior magnet antenna? I want the option to go portable with my Sirius and that is why I don't want to activate the factory system.

Mopar86

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
www.tss-radio.com
You may be able to, they usually use the same connection(newer cars are a little different ,but 05 should be fine) , however the length of cable would be another issue. They do not give much slack on those antenna cables so you may need an antenna extension cable to get enough to run to the stiletto cradle. Can you take a picture of the antenna connector? I can tell you if its the same connection or not if i see it. Thanks

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
The ford factory radio has a fakra type connector on it. It's pink like the one that comes on the terk xm micro2 antenna. If mopar can't hook you up, there's a guy that's around here sometimes, and was active at SBS that can make cables to convert factory antenna cables to standard SMB any length you need. I believe his name is mrbrianwebb. Good luck.

brianrwebb

Oct 11, 2008
So.Cal.
sure, cbot101, you can utilize the OEM Sirius SAT antenna on an aftermarket SAT receiver, you just need to figure out the length you would require to go from the OEM Sirius SAT tuner in the Expedition, to the mounting location of your Sirius portable receiver.

email me at the address below if i can offer you further help. by memory, i do not know the OEM location of the Sirius tuner in the Expedition; but would assume from the other trucks in the Ford lineup that it either sits mounted directly beneath the factory radio behind the dash, or in the right front kicker panel at the passenger's feet, or mounted behind the glovebox.

Newer models, like the Ford Edge, have theirs mounted deep in the rear of the vehicle, at the farthest point from the factory radio, so i would need to help you look for its location, unless someone here knows off-hand.

HofstraJet

Mar 18, 2009
Hello,

Exactly the thread I was looking for. I have a 2007 Ford Expedition and want to use the OEM antenna for my Stiletto. I found the antenna connector under the center console right under the lighter/3.5mm AUX jack under the tray where you keep coins and stuff. The connector is yellow. If you need a picture, please let me know and I can provide one. Is that a standard FAKRA connector that can be popped off and then I can use a standard extension cable? Brianrwebb - can you make custom length cables?

Thanks!

CraigW

Oct 14, 2008
Maryland
Yep, Brian can make you a custom length cable (he's made me a couple adapter cables as recently as 2 months ago). Email him, as he's not on here much.

BJYourk

Sep 25, 2009
Just to clarify, as I face the same issue:

I can take my Starmate 5 and, using an additional antenna cable, plug into the OEM unit to make use of the preinstalled antenna...?

Next question: Do I bypass the OEM unit and "splice" the car antenna cable with the extension, or do I just plug the extension cable into the OEM unit directly?

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
Most factory satellite antennas have a short pig tail wire. The custom cable would probably plug into the antenna pigtail, and then run to your pnp receiver. Best to try and talk to the guy, about your specific application.

brianrwebb

Oct 11, 2008
So.Cal.
yeah, guys, if anyone has questions regarding the OEM SAT antenna on aftermarket equipment feel free to email me, however, at the moment, TimeWarner is having a Field Day with my email address in my signature file below, its some how been DEACTIVATED, and has been since last Sat., the 26th of Sept.

i have got a different one (temporarily!) until they fix my old one, but im determined to keep the old one as ive had it for 6years now! and have it posted acorss a good hundred user forums- just need them to REACTIVATE IT!

(its a WHOLE thing, believe me, new york, to colorado, to so.cal., to texas, cant find the Man with the power to REACTIVATE it!)

im sure someone or many have tried to email me since last Sat. i averaged 100 emails a week on my address before last Sat.

*****UPDATE EDIT! i got my email addresses back, it's all about who you know, and who's willing to help you!

anyway, i know several people had tried to email me as i received phone calls from several people who had my #, but glad i can stay in contact with everyone, at the address below in my signature, for at least providing my knowledge to others, if not assembling an adapter cable-

Last edited: