Bye Bye Jon Zeller

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
SAN ANTONIO--(BUSINESS WIRE)--Clear Channel Radio today named Jon Zellner, 43, to Senior Vice President of Programming, effective July 20. Zellner is currently Sirius XM’s Senior Vice President of Music Programming. In his new role, he will work with program directors across major and mid-sized markets, reporting to Executive Vice President of Operations, Mark Kopelman.

“Radio has been my passion for as long as I can remember and a position like this at the leading radio company in the world is something I’ve worked toward since my start in broadcasting over 20 years ago,†said Zellner. “I’m humbled by the opportunity and want to thank Mark, Tom Owens, John Hogan and all of Clear Channel Radio for making this happen. I can't wait to get started."

“Jon’s leadership and creativity are respected throughout radio,†said Kopelman. “The stations in these 25 markets have unique audiences and tremendous opportunities, and we look forward to Jon’s guidance across our AM/FM/HD2 and digital platforms.â€

At Sirius XM, Zellner oversaw programming for more than 75 channels, and previously served as XM’s EVP of Programming. Before XM, Zellner held senior management positions with CBS/Infinity Broadcasting, including Vice President of Adult Top 40/Hot AC programming (overseeing stations in 17 cities) and VP of Top 40 programming (overseeing stations in 11 cities). He also spent nine years as VP of Programming for the Kansas City and Boston clusters of stations.

Zellner is a four-time winner of Billboard Magazine’s Operations Manager of the Year, a three-time winner of Radio and Records’ Program Director of the Year, FMQB’s Programmer of the Year and many more. He is a graduate of Ohio University.

About Clear Channel Radio

Clear Channel Radio is a leading radio company focused on serving local communities across the U.S. with more than 110 million listeners choosing Clear Channel Radio programming each week. The company's content can be heard on AM/FM stations, HD digital radio channels, on the Internet, via iPods and cell phones and used via navigation systems from BMW, Volvo, TomTom, Garmin and others. The company's operations include radio broadcasting, syndication and independent media representation. Clear Channel Radio is a division of Clear Channel Communications, Inc. (OTCBB:CCMO), a leading global media and entertainment company. More information on the company can be found at Clear Channel Communications, Inc..

I am not sure if this is good or bad.

syphix

Oct 15, 2008
Whoa...BIG news! Let's wait and see who takes his place before celebrating! Unless Lee Abrams comes back, I'm not expecting much to change day-to-day.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Would you then hate your own single artist channel?? :p

I have always said that Dexy's Midnight Runners would be the only exception. Dexy's Midnight Runners are the only artist whose depth and bredth of their music library is deep enough to sustain a single artist channel. There would be no need to hate it.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio
I have always said that Dexy's Midnight Runners would be the only exception. Dexy's Midnight Runners are the only artist whose depth and bredth of their music library is deep enough to sustain a single artist channel. There would be no need to hate it.

Just bring back Boombox for me, and I'll support your "All Dexy, All the Time" channel.
Promise.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Is this just the beginning? Can Mel K be far behind? His contract is up Nov 2009 isn't it? I don't imagine the stockholders will want him around again, much less the listeners. This could be a golden opportunity to make satellite radio what it was when XM and Sirius hated each other. (Ok, they didn't really HATE each other, but they were competitors). Zellner and CC deserve each other. Alpha Mike Foxtrot!! :icon_cool:

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
This IS very big news. Surprised Ryan hasnt picked it up yet. Must be too busy Twittering ;)

While I do admire Abrahams, I really dont know about bringing him back either.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
This IS very big news. Surprised Ryan hasnt picked it up yet. Must be too busy Twittering ;)

While I do admire Abrahams, I really dont know about bringing him back either.

I checked Orbitcast and Sirius Buzz and neither one is on it. :scratch:

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
So who do we like to replace him? Will there be someone waiting at the door on July 20th to take over?