Building a website.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I'm thinking of making a website detailing officers basic. Any suggestions on hosting, templates, etc? I haven't made any website stuff for years so I'm probably way out of the loop. Are there free ways to do this now?

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing

Buy a D-Link DNS-323. $160 at Amazon. It comes with free dynamic DNS and can run PHP and other web hosting stuff with "the Fonz fun plug". See that picture? It's being served from mine.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Seriously?? That will allow you to host from home??? What's the catch?

No catch. I pay $10/year or so for a domain name, which points at the free DDNS (dynamic domain name service). I tell my D-Link router to keep the DDNS synched to my cable modem's IP address (the D-Link storage device can do that, too, if I didn't have the router.) I can shut down my computers whenever I want while the storage device hosts my web site 24/7. The storage device runs Linux, so you can get all sorts of web hosting software for it. I'm running Java and a homemade wiki (that doesn't have all the bugs worked out just yet.)

The DNS-323 also has a built-in bittorrent client and a UPnP server that feeds video, music and pictures to my Xbox 360. It's an amazing little box. There's a large-ish community of people hacking it for all sorts of things.

I've got 2 1-TB drives in it, configured RAID 1. I think I paid under $400 for the whole thing at Fry's during a sale. It's small, quiet and very reliable.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I just edited the image of my storage device on my storage device, and voila!, it is different on this page. Somehow that proves I'm hosting it from the little box on the back of my table. It also proves that I'm a total anorak.

HecticArt

Administrator
Oct 19, 2008
Toledo, Ohio

Buy a D-Link DNS-323. $160 at Amazon. It comes with free dynamic DNS and can run PHP and other web hosting stuff with "the Fonz fun plug". See that picture? It's being served from mine.

That's pretty cool. I'm running a couple of sites, and they are costing about $125 each per year + the domain registration on top of that. The savings and control make the dlink look pretty interesting. Less know-how involved using a host like I'm doing, but saving $$ would be great.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
Keep in mind not all ISP's will allow you to run things from your home connection. Sometimes its a "don't ask/don't tell" kinda deal where they won't stop you if you aren't up to shenanigans. However, some ISP's will actually perform port blocks that either force you to use non-standard ports for web servers or they block everything entirely meaning no traffic can get to you.

I don't use them now, but in the past, 1and1.com was pretty decent. But with any hosting plan, be sure to know the details of bandwidth overages in case your site gets linked somewhere causing a traffic rush.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008

Do you ever have an issue with it losing connectivity? I have the same thing and mine will lose network connectivity from time to time. I have to restart it in order to bring it back online. I have it on a UPS so I know that a power surge/loss isn't the issue.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Do you ever have an issue with it losing connectivity? I have the same thing and mine will lose network connectivity from time to time. I have to restart it in order to bring it back online. I have it on a UPS so I know that a power surge/loss isn't the issue.

Nope. Mine is on a UPS, too, and hasn't been booted since I upgraded the firmware soon after I bought it. In addition to running my web site, it serves video to 2 Xbox 360s in my house.