Bubba complaining about Toys for Ta-Ta's

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I know another radio station in Columbus had the same exact event. Bubba was complaining about someone else ripping it off. IF... he could show proof that he had it first, then yeah, it's fair game.

But seriously, how many radio stations thought up "Toys for Ta-Ta's?" This is about as generic as you can get. Now, if it were a "shock the arm" deal, yeah...that's probably more a ripoff. But Toys for Ta-Ta's? 100% generic.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Sounds generic to me. I'm pretty sure I've heard something like that on one of the radio stations in Washington years ago.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Bubba is capturing the spirit of Christmas giving. Claiming to be the originator of a radio bit is so.....90's....as if I've heard it so many times before.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Is this the last show this year for Bubba too?

Bubba is live tomorrow on Sirius. After that, i'm not sure what they'll do, but when Bubba isn't live on FM, then we should be in store for stuff which was originally live on Sirius.

It's kind of a bummer that he doesn't play classic stuff from previous years like Howard does. I would love to hear Ned's first day.

At least I think he's live on Sirius tomorrow. He's currently in NY for Howard's party, but then is gonna be back in Tampa tomorrow for "Toys for Ta-Ta's."

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
Grrr.

"It is what it is."

Hopefully we get an old Sirius replay.
I won't be listening then, at least that closely. Toys for Tits from the morning would be a better choice since he's been talking about it forever and now the satellite people won't get to hear it. Plus last years was great and I doubt many of the satellite folks listened last year.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I won't be listening then, at least that closely. Toys for Tits from the morning would be a better choice since he's been talking about it forever and now the satellite people won't get to hear it. Plus last years was great and I doubt many of the satellite folks listened last year.

Yeah, that seems to be a semi-ongoing complaint from some of the listeners. We get four shows, but we don't get the Friday FM show at all. Then again, I tend to view the FM shows as time-filler and not "the real deal."

Still, they can't air the Friday show live (maybe they should work out a deal?) and they don't really have a place for it on their weekend schedule.

Someone once suggested that they air the Friday FM show in the regular afternoon slot, but that doesn't seem like a good idea.

If Bubba owns all his material, you think he could put it on his website (or maybe BubbaRaw), but that isn't happening.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
Yeah, that seems to be a semi-ongoing complaint from some of the listeners. We get four shows, but we don't get the Friday FM show at all. Then again, I tend to view the FM shows as time-filler and not "the real deal."

Still, they can't air the Friday show live (maybe they should work out a deal?) and they don't really have a place for it on their weekend schedule.

Someone once suggested that they air the Friday FM show in the regular afternoon slot, but that doesn't seem like a good idea.

If Bubba owns all his material, you think he could put it on his website (or maybe BubbaRaw), but that isn't happening.
Bubba answered this in the live chat. He can't podcast anything (even the FM show) because his Sirius XM contract forbids it.

And if anyone wants to catch a good show tomorrow:
http://streaming.theboneonline.com/_players/coxradio/index.php?callsign=WHPTFM

The internet streams are pretty much the only way.

As for airing the Friday show live, I've said for a while they should air the FM show live on another channel, but that's not happening.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Bubba answered this in the live chat. He can't podcast anything (even the FM show) because his Sirius XM contract forbids it.

And if anyone wants to catch a good show tomorrow:
http://streaming.theboneonline.com/_players/coxradio/index.php?callsign=WHPTFM

The internet streams are pretty much the only way.

As for airing the Friday show live, I've said for a while they should air the FM show live on another channel, but that's not happening.

:mad: at the bold part. I only took part in one chat and the "chat" part wasn't working. All I could see/hear was Billy Manson Mays yell and scream.

Yeah, I suppose the stream is the workaround. At least they can do it live.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
:mad: at the bold part. I only took part in one chat and the "chat" part wasn't working. All I could see/hear was Billy Manson Mays yell and scream.

Yeah, I suppose the stream is the workaround. At least they can do it live.
I pretty much assumed that part to be true, but Bubba finally confirmed it that night.

Some of the chats are archived now. Not the Bubba one, but starting at Brent they are on demand.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
So it's interesting that outside of Bubba's FM areas, you can't hear the show except for on Sirius, because of contractual language, but you can hear it on a streaming basis.

A bit hypocritical/ironic/whatever, no? Methinks someone (Sirius) dropped the ball. They obviously want you to listen to the FM show on the "re-purposed for Howard 101" deal, but you can listen on your computer.

It seems a bit backasswards that we can listen on our computers, or at 3 PM ET, but we can't listen live on Sirius XM, even if it is morning drive.

Hell, a live FM show from 6-10 (or whenever) on FM and Sirius, like what O&A did AND a replay on Howard 101 combined with the current Friday deal would have been a hell of a lot better.

...and people still could have listened to Howard's replay at noon. (But i'm betting that this wouldn't have been an option because Sirius and Howard want people to listen live.)

I'm just rambling now. This whole deal reeks of bad management, "the last, last, last, final option" and all the stuff Bubba has talked about.

...things could have been 1000x better if the West Coast Feed would have gone by the wayside. I like the WCF, as it lets people listen to Howard during Howard's commercial breaks, but it's also not 100% necessary. I bet a lot of people on the west coast listen live, especially given the fact that the WCF PDT doesn't update.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
So it's interesting that outside of Bubba's FM areas, you can't hear the show except for on Sirius, because of contractual language, but you can hear it on a streaming basis.

A bit hypocritical/ironic/whatever, no? Methinks someone (Sirius) dropped the ball. They obviously want you to listen to the FM show on the "re-purposed for Howard 101" deal, but you can listen on your computer.

It seems a bit backasswards that we can listen on our computers, or at 3 PM ET, but we can't listen live on Sirius XM, even if it is morning drive.

Hell, a live FM show from 6-10 (or whenever) on FM and Sirius, like what O&A did AND a replay on Howard 101 combined with the current Friday deal would have been a hell of a lot better.

...and people still could have listened to Howard's replay at noon. (But i'm betting that this wouldn't have been an option because Sirius and Howard want people to listen live.)

I'm just rambling now. This whole deal reeks of bad management, "the last, last, last, final option" and all the stuff Bubba has talked about.

...things could have been 1000x better if the West Coast Feed would have gone by the wayside. I like the WCF, as it lets people listen to Howard during Howard's commercial breaks, but it's also not 100% necessary. I bet a lot of people on the west coast listen live, especially given the fact that the WCF PDT doesn't update.
Sirius XM thinks we're idiots. I said a bunch of times before an O&A like deal, or airing the show live on another station would've been best if there was no way to get a live exclusive show. They couldn't even get a simple time slot change done. But these are the same idiots that said the audience wouldn't mind because we "had no other option." And clearly most of us know we do. A lot of people from across the country listen online. Bubba said he heard it from Cox themselves. Plus not to mention there's plenty of ways to record an internet stream.

As for the future of the show with Sirius XM, check Bubba's Twitter. It's very telling unfortunately. I have a hard time accepting that after all this, it may be coming to an end.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
During the History of Howard kickoff special, Gary(?) was asked by a trucker if there were any plans to sell the special on some sort of podcast deal. Gary said something about "I don't think there are any plans at this time." Yet, he's probably thinking, "Yeah, you're gonna go out and torrent it."

Sirius doesn't realize that the subscribers are tech-savvy. If we don't get what we want, we'll go find it. As long as we subscribe, they're happy. What they don't realize or care about, is that we subscribe for one or two things when we COULD be subscribing for three, four, or five things. Unfortunately, we're getting things three through five from elsewhere.

What some of us are doing:
Howard, O&A in the morning
Slacker, Ron and Fez, podcast, whoever in the mid-day
Slacker, Bubba, Ellis, podcast in the afternoon
Ferrall, Slacker, podcast in the afternoon

Obviously, this is a far cry from what Sirius thinks we're doing.