BOXM Questions: NHL

robroy90

Jun 20, 2009
Greetings all!

I currently have a Sirius lifetime on my Stiletto 2 and have been generally happy. I am interested in the BOXM addition to my lifetime primarily for NHL coverage.

I have spoken to customer service a few times, and seem to be getting conflicting info.

If I add BOXM to my Stiletto 2, will I have FULL access to all the NHL play-by-play channels just as if I were an XM subscriber on an XM unit? I have been told just Home Ice, and then also told that a Stiletto 2 with BOXM has access to all the NHL play-by-play channels also.

I also am an Internet Premium subscriber. How does BOXM work with the online streaming? Are there any limitations to accessing any of the content? I know nhl.com offers all the games from their site, so the internet streaming options from SiriusXM are not as important as the tuning capabilities when I don't have internet access.

I am intrigued with the XMp3, and have debated getting one, as I heard another poster say the overall best bet right now is to get an XM sub and add Best of Sirius to it.

Thanks for any comments or ideas in advance.

Regards,

-Rob

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Sirius does cover NHL Play by Play on BOXM. I know XM covers every game, home feed only. I do not know if Sirius takes every game or just all that fit. Obviously you get NHL Home Ice with BOXM. There is no play by play on the internet for XM or Sirius but I believe NHL Home Ice is streamed (don't quote me on that -- I don't have XMRO and do not have BOXM myself).

tsave31

Dec 16, 2008
NHL Home Ice is streamed online with BOXM. I can't say for sure if every single game is covered (home feed), but I am a Flyers fan and listen to many games on the road and have yet to run into one instance where the game was not on.

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
BOXM did broadcast NHL games. Not a full schedule, but I could find Stars games frequently. Not sure about online, I would guess not.

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
I don't think there are any sports play-by-play available on the internet stream. BOXM plays pretty much every game. Occasionally there are super busy days where there are a lot of college games and such where a few games might not make it, but I didn't miss a Pens game last year with boxm.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
BOXM did broadcast NHL games. Not a full schedule, but I could find Stars games frequently. Not sure about online, I would guess not.

This.

BOXM won't give you EVERY NHL game, but it will give you most.

However, this is only for the satellite feed.

What was interesting is that I don't remember being able to listen to the NHL channel online through the Stiletto, but could listen online through the computer.

ctkatz

Oct 11, 2008
unless its a playoff game, i think all regular season sports games are limited to only the home team feed which sucks. listening to an avs game with dead wing announcers is b-uh-rutal (although we did win 3 of the 4 games. go figgure that one out).

why doesn't sirius use the pbp channels that are dark for those nhl games not on any of the boxm pbp channels?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
This.

BOXM won't give you EVERY NHL game, but it will give you most.

However, this is only for the satellite feed.

What was interesting is that I don't remember being able to listen to the NHL channel online through the Stiletto, but could listen online through the computer.

They use NHL Home Ice as a play by play channel on occassion. Perhaps they don't filter that out all the time from their internet stream like they do with MLB Home Plate.