Boot Loader

tmeadahc

Oct 15, 2008
I bought a SL2 for my wife. I updated the software via the internet. All of the device information matches mine except the boot loader. Can someone tell me what the boot loader actually does, and how do I force the update for the loader?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I bought a SL2 for my wife. I updated the software via the internet. All of the device information matches mine except the boot loader. Can someone tell me what the boot loader actually does, and how do I force the update for the loader?

Its a part of the OS. You need to get it upgraded. The easiest way is Device Recovery. Otherwise you need to do some combination of Wifi for a while, shutdown, and switching to sat mode. I did mine about 5 times before it took when I did it but cannot remember the exact sequence. Device Recovery is a lot simpler but you will lose all your stored content.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Actually the bootloader varies on devices and there is no known way to update it. If your device is working correctly then don't worry about that. I remember in looking at tech notes from Sirius in the past and they have said it varies from device to device. The main thing is the ZAP and OS are up to date. I surely wouldn't do a recovery to try and get that number changes because you may do it for naught and end up with the same version.

tmeadahc

Oct 15, 2008
Thanks DAB, the only issue I am having is that the car dock is bugging out and it isn't a week old. I had the same problem when I bought mine 1.5 years ago where the dock just will turn on and off by itself. It has a mind of its own I will probably need to replace it but I am going to look at it this weekend when I have more time. She has had some shows not record for some reason and I hope it is not the memory issue so I will keep an eye on that as well. I love this device but sure would wish they would fix this memory issue. I do a 'Reset and Erase' on mine every 8-12 weeks to get the memory issue resolved temporarily...

No one has answered the other part of my questions which was what does the Boot Loader actually do?

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
My guess as an engineer is.....

The software is stored in non-valatile flash memory. Flash memory does not go away when the power is off. The drawback to flash memory is that is is extremely slow compared to modern RAM memory. It also has a limit to the number of writes over its lifetime, so it's not something that you want run an OS off of. There is likely some small programmable logic device in the radio, that once power is applied, reads the software from flash and writes it into RAM. Because when power goes away, so does all of the contents of RAM.

If I am correct, then I wouldn't worry too much about your boot loader. It's either going to work or not. And if I am correct, and the boot loader is a programmable logic device, its device configuration firmware will also be stored in flash memory. Should that ever get corrupted, your radio is as good as a brick. They'd be crazy to allow the user to update that.