Book to read this week???

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by MAJ Badmotherfarker, Feb 8, 2009.

1. MAJ Badmotherfarker

MAJ Badmotherfarker is drinking a beer.

Suggestions? I'm handing off my Catch-22 and just finished Confederacy of Dunces. Looking for something to read in the field this week.

2. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

A Sand County Almanac by Aldo Leopold or The Monkey Wrench Gang by Edward Abbey.

Or God is not Great by Christopher Hitchens.

3. MAJ Badmotherfarker

I might look for that one. I've heard a few people mention it. Only downside is that the guy in the bunk across from me is an orthodox jew that does prayers 3 times/day.

4. Ifandorbut

Ifandorbut Well-Known Member

John Fante's "West of Rome", it should also feature another of his stories, "My Dog Stupid".

or...

Haruki Murakami's "The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle".

5. Bandwagon03

Bandwagon03 Well-Known Member

I just finished "Kitchen Confidential" by Anthony Bourdain, its a great book about his personal experiences rising up in the kitchen, and becoming a chef.

6. Sirius Rich

Sirius Rich Well-Known Member

Wealth of Nations by Adam Smith

7. HecticArt

HecticArt Administrator

If you pick up Salinger's Catcher in the Rye you may be able to draw medical leave if your C.O. sees it.

8. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Read Philip Pullman's "His Dark Materials" if you haven't yet. It's one of those books I wish went on forever.

9. Vargas

Vargas Molon Labe!

Read:

Caught Stealing by Charlie Huston. This is the first in a trilogy of books. No way you don't like this book. No way.

10. AJ_II

AJ_II Well-Known Member

11. MAJ Badmotherfarker

I ended up reading "Letter to a Christian Nation". It was ok, but nothing I didn't know already.

12. JayDizz

JayDizz Member

If you liked "A Confederacy of Dunces" I'd recommend something like "Jitterbug Perfume" by Tom Robbins or "LambThe Gospel According to Biff, Christs Childhood Pal" by Christopher Moore. Both are amazing, funny stories with very interesting characters that will stick with you for a long time. "Lamb" made me laugh out loud more than any book I've ever read.....except for maybe "The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" which I also recommend highly.:D

13. Vargas

Vargas Molon Labe!

I read "Lamb" by Christopher Moore and this was by far one of the funniest books I've ever read. on top of being funny, it was also a very good read.