Blu-ray or DVD?

• DVD is good enough for me.

Votes: 23 50.0%
  • I like Blu-ray more!

Votes: 23 50.0%

• Total voters

HomieG

Oct 13, 2008
I love blu-ray, and I love standard DVD's upconverted through my blu-ray player. Plus some of the blu-ray discs have awesome audio, far superior to standard DVD's.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
DVD is good enough, but once you've actually experienced Blu Ray it won't be good enough anymore. You don't miss what you've never had or experienced on a regular basis.

Blue Ray all the way for me! Though as HomieG said I do upconvert some of my older DVD's and they look even better than via the standard DVD player.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
Call me when Blu-Ray players are $49 and the movies are $10-15.

HD DVD was at $99 when the least expensive Blu-Ray (only PS3 at the time) was still $400 for god's sakes, and the movies weren't $25 either.

No, DVDs (upconverted), HD DVDs, and WMV HDs are fine for me. I also get my HD content in other ways, so I'm 100% set for hi-def.

Besides, I can't wait to see what this DVD 2.0 has to offer. [unofficial name] (which will be fully compatible with current DVD players)

We already know it will have online functionality:

toshiba-dvd-download-d.jpg

Maybe it will use the internet to download "extra detail" from the movie to allow you to watch the movie in HD? Who knows? Like I said, it's going to be interesting.

Last edited:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
BR visually is better but the audio isn't....to me anyway.

Depends on your audio setup, on my Kenwood system there is a big difference between standard and Blue Ray.

h3x worried about $49 players when he was paying $8 for Cinemagic! ROTFLOL

Reactions: hexagram

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I LOVE MY BLU-RAY!!!!

I'm not re-buying all of my titles that I have on DVD but any good new releases will only be bought on blu.

Music_Rube

Oct 17, 2008
My family bought our first blu-ray player over Christmas and honestly, I can't tell much of a difference between blu-ray discs and DVD's. The picture and sound qualities seem essentially the same. We don't have a nice home theatre setup with a large flat screen TV. If we had that, my opinion might be different. But, for now I say DVD's are better.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
My family bought our first blu-ray player over Christmas and honestly, I can't tell much of a difference between blu-ray discs and DVD's. The picture and sound qualities seem essentially the same. We don't have a nice home theatre setup with a large flat screen TV. If we had that, my opinion might be different. But, for now I say DVD's are better.

I'm curious, why did you buy a Blu-ray player if you don't have a large TV? What was your motivation?

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA

If you don't have an HDTV then why would you buy a blu-ray. Also, the bigger the tv the better the blu-ray looks because you don't lose any sharpness with a large screen.

I don';t have super large screen either, 40 inches, but the blu's look amazing. I wish I had a super home theatre but for now I'm just using my older receiver, Polk sub and Polk SurroundBar. Not as good as true 5.1 but far better than just the tv speakers.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
If you don't have an HDTV then why would you buy a blu-ray. Also, the bigger the tv the better the blu-ray looks because you don't lose any sharpness with a large screen.

I don';t have super large screen either, 40 inches, but the blu's look amazing. I wish I had a super home theatre but for now I'm just using my older receiver, Polk sub and Polk SurroundBar. Not as good as true 5.1 but far better than just the tv speakers.

Ya, it's pointless to have Blu-ray if you don't have an HDTV, especially the larger ones. On my old HDTV that was 34 inches there wasn't much difference, on my new 46 inch flat panel Blu-Ray looks way better, the picture is quite unbelievable really, looks like you're looking at the action through an open window. On really big ones blu-ray looks great too, especially when you start getting into the 50,60+ range.

HD is great. Anything less looks awful to me now, SD is practically unwatchable.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Ya, it's pointless to have Blu-ray if you don't have an HDTV, especially the larger ones. On my old HDTV that was 34 inches there wasn't much difference, on my new 46 inch flat panel Blu-Ray looks way better, the picture is quite unbelievable really, looks like you're looking at the action through an open window. On really big ones blu-ray looks great too, especially when you start getting into the 50,60+ range.

HD is great. Anything less looks awful to me now, SD is practically unwatchable.

Agree. I have become such a snob with TV and Blu-Ray. If it isn't in HD I hardly want to watch it. I put a regular DVD in my blu-ray player the other day and I lasted about 5 minutes.

I don't want to be this way but sadly I am.

I REALLY hate it when a friend or relative WITHOUT HD decides to have a get together for a football game or to rent a movie. I spend most of the time complaining to mysyelf and just wishing I was in my own house. And nothing pisses me off more than when I walk in and my wife is watching a show that is available in HD but she is watching it in SD because she is too accustomed to just pressing regular buttons on the remote.

Why are we such freaks?

mynameisjamie

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
And nothing pisses me off more than when I walk in and my wife is watching a show that is available in HD but she is watching it in SD because she is too accustomed to just pressing regular buttons on the remote.

Why are we such freaks?

Don't get me started on this one. My aunt has a sweet set up, just because they can, and I will go over and they are watching a football game or whatever on an SD station. Makes me crazy. Maybe I should get the a BluRay....

Anyway, Blu Ray is great. I wasn't aware that the bigger the screen the better it looks. It makes sense though.

I had a PS3 for a short minute and even on my regular tv a regular DVD looked really great.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Call me when Blu-Ray players are $49 and the movies are $10-15.

HD DVD was at $99 when the least expensive Blu-Ray (only PS3 at the time) was still $400 for god's sakes, and the movies weren't $25 either.

No, DVDs (upconverted), HD DVDs, and WMV HDs are fine for me. I also get my HD content in other ways, so I'm 100% set for hi-def.

Besides, I can't wait to see what this DVD 2.0 has to offer. [unofficial name] (which will be fully compatible with current DVD players)

We already know it will have online functionality:

toshiba-dvd-download-d.jpg

Maybe it will use the internet to download "extra detail" from the movie to allow you to watch the movie in HD? Who knows? Like I said, it's going to be interesting.

It will still have the same clarity as regular DVD because of the way the red laser reads the disc. The shorter nm range of the BLUE laser is what makes BLU-RAY better. I'm assuming that DVD 2.0 with downloadable content will be similar to BD-LIVE where if your DVD player is connected to the internet then you can download additional material. I have a blu-ray and I've never done this. If blu-ray come with a wireless connection then yes but I'm not going to connect it with a cable to my router just to get ANOTHER commentary or scene for a movie.

I'm newer rto Blu Ray, having only had it since Christmas but out of the 4 discs that I own, so far, I haven't watched a single special feature. All I really care about is the better sound and clarity.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
It will still have the same clarity as regular DVD because of the way the red laser reads the disc. The shorter nm range of the BLUE laser is what makes BLU-RAY better. I'm assuming that DVD 2.0 with downloadable content will be similar to BD-LIVE where if your DVD player is connected to the internet then you can download additional material. I have a blu-ray and I've never done this. If blu-ray come with a wireless connection then yes but I'm not going to connect it with a cable to my router just to get ANOTHER commentary or scene for a movie.

I'm newer rto Blu Ray, having only had it since Christmas but out of the 4 discs that I own, so far, I haven't watched a single special feature. All I really care about is the better sound and clarity.

Laser wavelengths have absolutely NOTHING to do with picture quality. In fact, you can burn 1080p content (WMV HD or x264) on a 8.5 GB DVD-R and also, look at all of the games for the Xbox 360 (they are all DVD-ROM).

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Laser wavelengths have absolutely NOTHING to do with picture quality. In fact, you can burn 1080p content (WMV HD or x264) on a 8.5 GB DVD-R and also, look at all of the games for the Xbox 360 (they are all DVD-ROM).

Yes, but due to having a shorter wavelength, you can put MORE information on a disc (blu rays are up to 50gb) and the different laser can view it, thereby increasing the clarity.

Isn't this right?