Billing question (Kind of urgent)

YankeeXDev

Oct 19, 2008
Rochester New York
Billing question (solved)

Hey guys,

My 3 month subscription was due today and I usually use giftcards but I am going to pay using credit card for the next three months. I looked on my account today and they already made an credit card payment for me. The credit card on my account was expired and I do not know how the hell they charged it. It is going to be denied if they try to bill me. So I called up and told this guy that I didn't understand my whole story. I told him if I could update my credit card under change payment method and he said if I did they will cancel the previous credit card payment they automatically made for me and charge the new card. I spent 10 minutes arguing with this guy getting almost no where. I do not get how they can charge my credit card that expired that was onfile. I do not want to get doubled charged or nothing like that. Cause I will dispute it with them.

So if I entered my new credit card information they will automatically bill me now? Or do I need to go to make an online payment? Cause it says I owe nothing now.

It says on my bill history date-- transaction date 1/25/09 with no bill number or service but it says it took 25.40 off my balance. (I had some remaining left from a gift card).

So my question mainly is that will sirius automatically put a payment on my credit card in the next few days or do they automatically bill your credit card company the day its due? Cause I thought I would have until midnight tonight until my service ends then tomorrow they will bill me or I can make a gift card payment.

It already says my start date for the next three months start today but how can they make a payment when they made a payment with a expired credit card?

Thanks

Last edited:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well you probably should have gone online and changed your credit card info before hand since you know you were going to go that route. What is likely going to happen is they processed the payment and just dont' realize that it was declined. It may take them a day or two to figure that out. Then they are going to say you owe them, since you didn't call in and cancel it before the payment processed.

The way I see it at this point you need to just wait and see what happens on their end. I wouldn't do anything. If they cut your radios off though they may charge you a fee, but at this time with them needing subscribers so bad they would likely wave it.

You could go in and change the credit card info now and if they try to process it again it will just go through.

Who knows?

GordyMac

Jan 19, 2009
www.droidtvforum.com
A lot of times if it is the same card number with a different expiration, I've seen the credit card company allow it without a problem.. especially if it was expired recently.. I've seen it go almost a year.. probably close to 8-9 months and they still allowed it.

YankeeXDev

Oct 19, 2008
Rochester New York
The thing is my dad got the stiletto for me back in January using his card and I just told him I will take care of the payments using gift cards and it worked up until today since all the stores I went to didn't have a gift card in stock. So today I was going to go on and pay for the next three months but then I see they went on to charge me already.

It was a pain in the butt dealing with customer service as everyone else pointed out on here already. I specifically told him the credit card number previously was expired so it would not of been able to be charged and I told him if I could give him a new credit card to use and cancel the transaction on the old card. But he kept telling me he could not and it was going to be charged anyways but if I wanted to put on a new card for the next cycle he could then after arguing he changed what he said before and said I COULD now use this new credit card to pay for the next three months. Sirius has got the worst customer service ever.

But I will just wait this out and see how they charge me in the next day or two and see if this guy was right to what will happen.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
A lot of times if it is the same card number with a different expiration, I've seen the credit card company allow it without a problem.. especially if it was expired recently.. I've seen it go almost a year.. probably close to 8-9 months and they still allowed it.
Most credit card companies do this to avoid the hassle of dealing with declined transactions, investigations, etc. As long as the expiry is valid (matches a date on your previous card) they will allow it for a little bit.

YankeeXDev

Oct 19, 2008
Rochester New York
You can do that yourself, but logging into the account and go to your credit and just change it.
Well I do not know if you ever called CS before I assume you did but you know what you have to deal with haha. But he was telling me I had to then I asked if this can be done online with no problem with double billing the next 3 months. I do not think he understood what I was asking. As long as they don't double bill me or mess with my credit card billing it will be fine. It is just frustrating dealing with someone who likely is talking to me from India. I know they are not dumb but its just the language issue.

Thanks guys

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
Actually I had the card number stolen I had on file with Sirius and XM which are both on different billing cycles. I obviously canceled the card, and got a new one, then of course forgot about the future sat rad billing. They just sent me an email that there was a problem billing the card, and asked me to go online and update. As soon as I updated the information, they billed it no problem. I'm pretty sure your ok.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Call the care line and ask to be forwarded to customer satisfaction (CS). If a customer service representative (CSR) doesn't speak perfect English and says they're CS do not give and personal info and hang up. Once you get CS on the line explain what happened and let them fix your problem.

I let a one year sub expire and wanted to renew with a lifetime. They auto billed me, then over charged by giving me Sirius with BOXM, Didn't want BOXM so they credited my account, gave me a free demo and waited a few days til the charge balanced it's self with my credit card company. The key is the lag time (two business days or so) between the time Sirius bills you on your account and the actual transaction on your credit card statement. Since I was able to access both accounts online everything operated smoothly when I wanted to change my service because I obtained a new receiver before calling to activate my lifetime.

spaceghost

Jan 20, 2009
The agent you spoke with is a TOOL. I'm really sorry you got someone like that.
As long as the payment has been accepted on SIRIUS' end, then you're fine. It is possible to withdraw with an old expiration date, but not always. If they weren't able to take it then it would still show a balance online and from SIRIUS' end.
As for being double billed.... it's actually next to impossible. Even if you do make a payment online.. it just goes to your account as a credit.. in which case you could either leave it on there and be set your next billing cycle or just call SIRIUS up and ask them to refund it.

As to what Vols44 said.. not recommended.. that the cancellations dept. They were obviously over-generous to him. Your best bet is to really ask if your speaking with the Canadian site.
A rep there will hook you up no problem.. they actually care about their jobs there.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
The agent you spoke with is a TOOL. I'm really sorry you got someone like that.
As long as the payment has been accepted on SIRIUS' end, then you're fine. It is possible to withdraw with an old expiration date, but not always. If they weren't able to take it then it would still show a balance online and from SIRIUS' end.
As for being double billed.... it's actually next to impossible. Even if you do make a payment online.. it just goes to your account as a credit.. in which case you could either leave it on there and be set your next billing cycle or just call SIRIUS up and ask them to refund it.

As to what Vols44 said.. not recommended.. that the cancellations dept. They were obviously over-generous to him. Your best bet is to really ask if your speaking with the Canadian site.
A rep there will hook you up no problem.. they actually care about their jobs there.
Not sure what you mean about the "cancellations department" Spaceghost. The customer satisfaction rep fixed the customer service rep's mistakes. The lag time in Sirius versus credit card company billing is real. Since Sirius could not get the credit card company to delete the charge they gave me a demo until the accounts balanced. All is well that ends well.

YankeeXDev, how did things turn out?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Well I do not know if you ever called CS before I assume you did but you know what you have to deal with haha. But he was telling me I had to then I asked if this can be done online with no problem with double billing the next 3 months. I do not think he understood what I was asking. As long as they don't double bill me or mess with my credit card billing it will be fine. It is just frustrating dealing with someone who likely is talking to me from India. I know they are not dumb but its just the language issue.

Thanks guys

Yeah it is tough to deal with them and I know in the past when I've called to make changes they would say okay that is done is there anything else I can help you with today, then try to convince you go with a longer term subscription. Then you'd hang up only to find out they didn't at all do what you asked and so you end up having to call back again. No there is nothing on your account showing that a change was made. GEEZ!

Anyway I am sure this will all work out for you. Do let us know how it turns out! I appreciate that you felt DRC was a great place to get some feedback.

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
I have only had one issue with a CS rep (and fortunately, it was a very minor one that could have been avoided on my part).

I canceled SIRIUS internet radio on an impulse to try and compensate for XMRO 64k at (1/2 the bandwidth) just for Cinemagic.

Later, I called them back to tell them I changed my mind (I know, I know... Cut me some slack. :p)

Apparently this CS rep said that the other guy didn't even touch my account. So, he actually did what I was going to do ultimately... Nothing. :)

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Later, I called them back to tell them I changed my mind (I know, I know... Cut me some slack. :p)

Apparently this CS rep said that the other guy didn't even touch my account. So, he actually did what I was going to do ultimately... Nothing. :)
That reminded me of that old Airplane movie "Cut me some Slack Jack" LOL

Yeah in your case it worked out just as it was meant too! Now you are still enjoying that 128kb feed! Well worth that $2.99!

JDawg3DX

Oct 16, 2008
Las Vegas
The thing is my dad got the stiletto for me back in January using his card and I just told him I will take care of the payments using gift cards and it worked up until today since all the stores I went to didn't have a gift card in stock. So today I was going to go on and pay for the next three months but then I see they went on to charge me already.

It was a pain in the butt dealing with customer service as everyone else pointed out on here already. I specifically told him the credit card number previously was expired so it would not of been able to be charged and I told him if I could give him a new credit card to use and cancel the transaction on the old card. But he kept telling me he could not and it was going to be charged anyways but if I wanted to put on a new card for the next cycle he could then after arguing he changed what he said before and said I COULD now use this new credit card to pay for the next three months. Sirius has got the worst customer service ever.

But I will just wait this out and see how they charge me in the next day or two and see if this guy was right to what will happen.
Check your local Going Out Of Business Circuit City. I went to one of mine to check our the sales (on a side note, nothing worth anything yet-basically 10-30% off right now) and they had a ton of the Gift Cards for the Xm side and a few for the Sirius side available...

hexagram

Medicinal & Recreational.
Oct 11, 2008
Seattle, WA
If there is a good discount on Xbox 360 games or a Zune 120 gig, and you don't mind buying it and shipping it up here..... I'll pay for the cost, of course. ;)

JDawg3DX

Oct 16, 2008
Las Vegas
If there is a good discount on Xbox 360 games or a Zune 120 gig, and you don't mind buying it and shipping it up here..... I'll pay for the cost, of course. ;)
They were just doing 10% on those items, basically, the higher percentage was on Car accessories for Sirius/XM and Monster Cables. CDs/DVDs were the next best at 20%. I'm going to a couple of the others (we have 4 stores in this area and a coworker of mine claimed that one of them had PS3s at $199) in my area today, hoping to catch some better deals...

spaceghost

Jan 20, 2009
Not sure what you mean about the "cancellations department" Spaceghost. The customer satisfaction rep fixed the customer service rep's mistakes. The lag time in Sirius versus credit card company billing is real. Since Sirius could not get the credit card company to delete the charge they gave me a demo until the accounts balanced. All is well that ends well.

YankeeXDev, how did things turn out?
Customer satisfaction is the cancelations dept. Their job is to cancel radios.. that's the only difference between billing/activations or any other dept.. we have access to the same tools except for the ability to close a radio. Any rep that is at least competent enough and has the mental capacity of a.. i dunno.. we'll say at the very least a 15 year old, can figure out your problem and help you just as much.. unfortunately for SIRIUS.. most aren't that smart.

Last edited: