Best release of 2008?

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
Looking thru my iTunes for most played 80s songs for another thread, I noted the counts for the newer material. Like in the '80s' thread, share your favorite (or disappointing) releases in 2008. Could turn others onto some of your favorites.

Metallica - Death Magnetic: A great return to the top of the metal heap. Only downside is the sound quality of the CD.

O.A.R. - All Sides: A great CD from start to end. Sounds like a greatest hits package, but all new material. Some folks don't like it because it doesn't sound like "old O.A.R.", but everyone has to grow up (and make some bucks) eventually.

The Cure - 4:13 Dream: Didn't know what to expect from them after all this time, but they deliver with a solid release.

Elbow - The Seldom Seen Kid: A great "chill out" CD. Picked by R.E.M. to share the bill on some European shows.

Disappointments:

My Morning Jacket - Evil Urges: After "Z" and their live CD (both great), I just can't get into this one.

Death Cab for Cutie - Narrow Stairs: Doesn't feel as 'complete' as their previous releases. Maybe rushed a bit...

R.E.M. - Accelerate: I like the CD, but it's just too short. Seems like it's over not long after the beginning.

Wayne Edwards

Oct 13, 2008
Top 10 Favorites:

1. 27 Jennifers-Mike Doughty
2. 5 Rebeccas-The View
3. Great DJ-The Ting Tings
4. Kiss With A Fist-Florence + The Machine
5. Brainpower-Freezepop
6. Better Anyway-Parka
7. Geraldine-Glasvegas
8. Earth Foundation-Daddy Shark
9. Feeling Better-The Teenagers
10. See You At The Lights-The 1990's

Honorable Mention: "Let's Dance To Joy Divison" by The Wombats and "Solo Impala" by The Fashion.

Disappointments:

Hard Sun by Eddie Vedder kind of sucked, and the new Nine Inch Nails and White Stripes albums didn't meet up to expectations based on their earlier work.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
Grace Jones "Hurricane". An amazing mix of old school Grace (her Sly and Robbie years when she made "Warm Leatherette" and "Nightclubbing") but with vunerablity with is not her style. A great mix of rock, pop and reggae.

Steel Cranium

Nov 12, 2008
NorthEast Ohio
Disappointments:

Hard Sun by Eddie Vedder kind of sucked, and the new Nine Inch Nails and White Stripes albums didn't meet up to expectations based on their earlier work.
The 'white stripes' comment made me remember another great release from last year: Raconteurs - consolers of the lonely. The success of the Raconteurs stuff might make the white stripes more of a side project. Agree with your statement - I only listened to the white stripes CD a few times, Raconteurs much more.

almaniac27

Nov 12, 2008
Kent, Ohio
The 'white stripes' comment made me remember another great release from last year: Raconteurs - consolers of the lonely. The success of the Raconteurs stuff might make the white stripes more of a side project. Agree with your statement - I only listened to the white stripes CD a few times, Raconteurs much more.
I love the new Raconteurs album, but there have been a lot of bad reviews on it for some reason. They say that it seemed to rushed and that the balance between Benson's power-pop style and White's blues style was off. I didn't notice this, I thought it was a great album.

I thought the new REM album was actually pretty good, compared to the last few ones they put out. Of course, it's no Murmur or Automatic for the People, but it's a pretty solid album. If you feel it's too short, there are a few bonus tracks on the DVD version.