Best of Sound Quality?

miksmi21

Jul 16, 2009
Oxford, MA
Hey all,

Been a long time Sirius sub. Now bought a new car with XM...so signed up for it and added Best of Sirius.

The XM channels come through crystal clear. However, the best of sirius stations are tinny and have regular pops and clicks.

Anyone else seen this? I love listening to Howard, but man, this sound quality makes it very difficult. As if they are pushing G.729 phone codec.....geesh!

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
Yes! I have this on my XM with the Best of SIRIUS. I hear some popping noises here and there are the Best of SIRIUS talk channels. It is irritating and I've brought it up to some people at SIRIUS XM but I get the sense they don't know who would be in charge of something like this. It's not cool.

I've also had these same popping noises on some talk channels on the Mirge. It was on XM Talk stations with that one. I've never heard the popping and clicks on the music channels though. The noise I hear sounds like someone taps or hits the mic.

miksmi21

Jul 16, 2009
Oxford, MA
Yes! I have this on my XM with the Best of SIRIUS. I hear some popping noises here and there are the Best of SIRIUS talk channels. It is irritating and I've brought it up to some people at SIRIUS XM but I get the sense they don't know who would be in charge of something like this. It's not cool.

I've also had these same popping noises on some talk channels on the Mirge. It was on XM Talk stations with that one. I've never heard the popping and clicks on the music channels though. The noise I hear sounds like someone taps or hits the mic.

That's exactly it. Click click pop, click click pop. Then occasionally on the talk stations when they play music, the treble gets crazy tinny and almost staticy.

I've seen posts on web sites saying it has something to do with relaying the streams from DC to NY or vice versa before shuttling off to the sats. I donno how true that is...but if that's the case, get a fatter network pipe on your WAN and change the codec/compression. Cuz this sounds aweful!!!

In a sense it's steering people away from buying up too. I had a buddy in my car, he heard the sound and said "i'm not going with SiriusXM if it sounds like that"

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I agree, I get the those popping and clicking sounds when listening to Howard with BOS on my Inno. I would say it happens at least 10 times an hour, and I never noticed it on the Sirius side to this day. They must correct this problem.

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I feel fairly relieved that it's not just me, but then worried more that it's not just me. I have an OEM system that I've only made one small change to where it happens, and the Mirge in the Compact Sound System and I hear it on that too.

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
"As if they are pushing G.729 phone codec.....geesh! "

I know really! (???)

tsave31

Dec 16, 2008
I also hear it on O & A on best of XM.

I dunno about the noises being heard on BOS, but on the BOXM side, hearing that noise on the Virus is actually a warning, irritating noise telling you not to waste your time. ;)

downsj

Nov 17, 2008
My SL2 with BoXM is fine, never noticed any issues with the BO streams. Of course I only listen to them during basketball season...

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
For me it all began on November 12th. The channels I listen to frequently, especially the ones coming from D.C. have momentary clipping effects, where the sound just goes out for less than a second, kind of like a cd skipping, but without that 'tisking' skip noise. And also, the noises mentioned above on the BOS on XM.