Best of Sirius, Best of XM

Did you add a Best of Sirius or Best of XM plan?

• Best of Sirius to my XM Radio

Votes: 19 23.5%
  • Best of XM to my Sirius Radio

Votes: 13 16.0%
  • Added it to both my Sirius and XM Radio

Votes: 1 1.2%
  • Did not add the Best of to my Radio

Votes: 48 59.3%

• Total voters

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
Instead of the BOS I'd love to be able to get a second XM radio with my sirius account. I'd gladly pay the 6.99 rate for the second radio like I do or Sirius radios, but just get an XM one. I think I'd install both in the car.

Do you think they will ever do that?

That would be a great idea!!!!!! :yesshake:

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
I didn't add the best of XM to my radio, to me there wasn't anything worth adding it.

BTW, my first post here, good luck with this site.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I didn't add the best of XM to my radio, to me there wasn't anything worth adding it.

BTW, my first post here, good luck with this site.

That was my feeling exactly, however I did add the best of Sirius on my XM OEM radio.

Good to see you here Manco! Did you find the political forum yet. ;)

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
That was my feeling exactly, however I did add the best of Sirius on my XM OEM radio.

Good to see you here Manco! Did you find the political forum yet. ;)

Hey DAB good to see you.

Yeah I found the political forum, but I think I'm outnumbered :eek:

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Hey DAB good to see you.

Yeah I found the political forum, but I think I'm outnumbered :eek:

Good to see you too,

Hey don't let the number put you off. We need someone to give the other side. Sometimes I don't know what to think anymore with this stuff. I value your views. :)

Super Dave

Oct 12, 2008
Maple Shade, NJ
www.oropallo.us
Why is it they merged the company except for accounts? As a dual sub, because of the in dash XM in the new Outlook, they expect full price for the XM, and full price for 1 of my 2 Sirius radios. When we got the new vehicle I canceled 1 of the Sirius radios I had, since the wife really only used it for music in her car and the Outlook is her ride, the XM will suffice.

I did get the XM for $77/ year, after telling them to cancel it, but in order to add Best of Sirius they will remove the discount and then charge another $4/month. Nice way to do business, piss off you base subs. Hope they change their policy in the future.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Why is it they merged the company except for accounts? As a dual sub, because of the in dash XM in the new Outlook, they expect full price for the XM, and full price for 1 of my 2 Sirius radios. When we got the new vehicle I canceled 1 of the Sirius radios I had, since the wife really only used it for music in her car and the Outlook is her ride, the XM will suffice.

I did get the XM for $77/ year, after telling them to cancel it, but in order to add Best of Sirius they will remove the discount and then charge another $4/month. Nice way to do business, piss off you base subs. Hope they change their policy in the future.

If they do make the channel lineups identical I intend to insist that they give me my XM sub as a family plan rate. I did the 3 year plan so I have a $9.99 effective rate. But if the service is the same, they aren't going to get a full extra sub out of it.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
If they do make the channel lineups identical I intend to insist that they give me my XM sub as a family plan rate. I did the 3 year plan so I have a $9.99 effective rate. But if the service is the same, they aren't going to get a full extra sub out of it.

Even if they were, you won't ever get it as a family plan at least not anytime soon. I think it will be awhile before they merge the accounting systems. Also they simply aren't in a place financially to do this.

I still think there will probably be 50 or so like channels that will be on both services with some unique programming on each service above and beyond that.

Manco

Oct 14, 2008
I'm impressed with the results of this poll with a 34% take rate on the "best of" feature. Of course we are amongst the biggest enthusiasts so I suppose I shouldn't be.

If the take rate amongst all subs is even half of this, that is good news for the company.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Even if they were, you won't ever get it as a family plan at least not anytime soon. I think it will be awhile before they merge the accounting systems. Also they simply aren't in a place financially to do this.

I still think there will probably be 50 or so like channels that will be on both services with some unique programming on each service above and beyond that.

I have no idea if they could actually link the accounts or not ... nor do I care. If the lineup was 100% identical with music, I would just badger CS until they changed my XM rate to 6.99. My other possiblility is to just cancel all my XM subs and see if I can find a Sirius radio with a good FM transmitter to replace my Tao. I would have to work out the cost benefit over time.

If they did the 50 channel thing, I would probably leave things as they are. But if they are cost cutting, I think it only fair that I do the same.

Music_Rube

Oct 17, 2008
I have the "Best of Sirius" package on my Inno (currently my only XM Radio active). I upgraded for the Sirius NFL Radio channel and the play-by-play. It was my favorite Sirius channel. Even though I never considered re-subscribing for this season, I suppose I saved some money because I won't get that "urge" to re-subscribe again!

Howard Stern is OK in small doses and Playboy Radio is also OK. The rest of the channels I am not interested in.

Santinelli

Oct 16, 2008
Milford, NH
I decided to drop my sirius in the truck, because I was using the motorcycle all sumer long... :cool:

BUT, I kept my 2 XM sub's because, well, I have an INNO (With adapter in truck) and a myfi for the office. They are both cool devices. All I had for sirius was the adapter for the JVC, so it wasn't portable.

I DID get the Best of Sirius for both radios, mostly because of the NFL stuff. I think that alone was worth the 4 bucks(How much is the NFL Package on Directv? 200 bucks? No brainer). SO I don't miss a game when I'm out and about.

AND of course, I've got an adapter for the motorcycle too, so I can attach the INNO.

Playboy of course is a bit interesting every once in a while, but that USED to be free with XM before they dumped them.

It should be interesting to see if they KEEP the Best of.... Stuff once they've consolidated all the channels.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
It would seem that the "best of" packages will remain for the foreseeable future. The consolidation appears to only be with regard to the music channels. The talk/sports/entertainment offerings appear to be remaining unique to their respective services (i.e. NFL/Stern on Sirius...MLB/Oprah on XM). You'll need the "best of" add on to get NFL or Stern on XM.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
It would seem that the "best of" packages will remain for the foreseeable future. The consolidation appears to only be with regard to the music channels. The talk/sports/entertainment offerings appear to be remaining unique to their respective services (i.e. NFL/Stern on Sirius...MLB/Oprah on XM). You'll need the "best of" add on to get NFL or Stern on XM.

Not entirely true. Zeller has indicated consolodation will go system wide. This will likely (as in my guess) include talk channels like the left & right political talk, comedy channels, kids channel, and traffic/weather channels.

Premium content in the best of packages will likely be unaffected.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I think they will initially consolidate music channels that are like and eventually work through the news, entertainment and talk programming. I personally would be happy if they had the music programming the same on both services, but I suspect there will remain some music exclusive to each side and they will do this in order to try to keep folks from unsubscribing from one service or ther other. But then those that dual sub is said to be low. I've always thought it was higher, but Mel has said that isn't so.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I think they will initially consolidate music channels that are like and eventually work through the news, entertainment and talk programming. I personally would be happy if they had the music programming the same on both services, but I suspect there will remain some music exclusive to each side and they will do this in order to try to keep folks from unsubscribing from one service or ther other. But then those that dual sub is said to be low. I've always thought it was higher, but Mel has said that isn't so.

And if Mel says something ... it must be 100% true right?

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
My friend just added the best of XM to his new starmate 4, and he just told me he's getting 90-100 minutes of buffer time on Howard 100. Not sure if it's because of the added compression because of the XM programming or what. Anyone have any thoughts?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
And if Mel says something ... it must be 100% true right?

You better go back and read what I said. I clearly state that Mel said one thing, but I have always thought differently. I personally don't trust anything any of these folks say. But then I've had direct dealings with Sirius management during my time at SBS when we were trying to forge a relationship with them. I could tell you some stories, but I won't waste my time.

People can say what they want about Ole Mel, I still think he is a hell of a guy. I mean here you have Sirius technically the weaker of the two sat companies end up merging and effectively taking over XM. Sure the stock is in the tank, but a lot of that has to do with the collapse in the economy in general. There are many stocks right now that are under a dollar, more than any time in the stock markets history. If in the end Mel pulls this off and this company comes back to be stable and make a profit, plus allow stock holder to make money long term. Mel will end up looking like a genius. Many in the past have under estimate that Ole boy. I honestly don't think anyone but Mel could have pulled off this merger.