Best of Sirius, Best of XM

Discussion in 'SiriusXM Soundwave Cafe' started by DAB, Oct 10, 2008.

?

Did you add a Best of Sirius or Best of XM plan?

1. Best of Sirius to my XM Radio

19 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. Best of XM to my Sirius Radio

13 vote(s)
    16.0%
  3. Added it to both my Sirius and XM Radio

1 vote(s)
    1.2%
  4. Did not add the Best of to my Radio

48 vote(s)
    59.3%
  1. phillyphan

phillyphan Member

I have my brother's XM Helix radio on my XM sub. I added the Best of SIRIUS to his radio the other night. It seems to work fine. It will raise the quarterly price of his radio from $39 to $51.

Apparently, the Best of SIRIUS option is available for my old XM Roady2 as well. The quarterly price for my radio is only $21. If I add the Best of SIRIUS with multi-radio discount, it would only go to $33 per quarter. At first, I was thinking this is a good deal and I could cancel my SIRIUS sub. But two things stopped me from doing it. First, I can't get EWTN on XM. EWTN on SIRIUS is sooo much better than on shortwave. I'd miss First Wave, Spirit and The Pulse but I could live without them if necessary. Secondly, my father's Brix Streamer is on my SIRIUS sub.

Ideally, I would much rather add Best of XM (if it included MLB) to my Brix Streamer, but when I log into my SIRIUS account, it tells me that the Best of XM and other a la carte packages are not compatible with my current radio. If the Best of SIRIUS is compatible with my old XM Roady2, then why is Best of XM not compatible with my Brix Streamer, a much better radio in my opinion? Is this just SIRIUS trying to get me to buy a new radio?
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2008
  2. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing This space for rent

The XM sat technology is supperior to Sirius's for the most part. I believe all XM radios are compatible with BestOfSirius.
  3. Manco

Manco Active Member

I've heard this a lot but when it comes to travelling I prefer Sirius over XM because the higher angle of elevation of the satellite in the North sky provides supperior coverage as I'm travelling through the mountains.

For indoors XM has Sirius beat, for cities, I woudl say XM edges out Sirius because of the repeaters, and the lower angle of the satellites help the signal go under bridges.
  4. v1ru5

v1ru5 Well-Known Member

The ONLY reason I added Sirius is for Howard. I used to download his show without commercials for FREE but I want Satellite Radio to survive so I'm willing to pay the $4.00.
  5. IdRatherBeSkiing

For location, Sirius is better for me too even in the city. I do drop out more with Sirius in cars over all although there are places where XM has issues where Sirius does not.

By the technology, I was refering to how they encode their signal and communicate with their radios. They can rename a channel on the fly, add a channel on the fly, delete a channel on the fly, all without interupting the ability to listen to or record a channel on that radio (except if you are listening to the deleted one). Sirius requires the dreaded "Updating Sirius" message on its receiver for 5 minutes of silence. Needless to say, they address this by not doing updates that often. Perhaps the satrad of the future will be a combination of both sat positions and the XM style tech. This would be the ideal solution. Propogating the Sirius technology would be limiting to future endevours.
  6. TimTimSalabim

TimTimSalabim Active Member

Sirius definitely sucks when it comes to indoor reception, and has gotten worse over the 2+ years I've subscribed. I used to be able to get 3 bars if I spent a lot of time moving the antenna around (I can't put it on the roof because I'm in a bottom-floor apt), but now it's hopeless. I just use the online player, which unfortunately restricts the number of channels and rooms, especially annoying on NFL Sundays.

What I'll likely do at some point, is dump my Sirius radio and get an XM one with Best of Sirius. Seems like it's a much better deal overall.
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2008
  7. IdRatherBeSkiing

If you have a S facing window with a good view of the sky, XM reception would be better for you. If not, it would likely be worse.
  8. TimTimSalabim

I have a big S window so that will be perfect. Of course now I can't move or my plan will be foiled :jj:

What I don't have is any windows that face N, which I understand is what you need for Sirius (I believe the satellites are located above Minnesota?)
  9. IdRatherBeSkiing

More like North Dakota. In my case its more W than N. If you don't have a window that way ... you are screwed.

If Sirius ever gets its geo-stationary sat launched (I doubt its a high priority now) you should be covered.
  10. jwt0001

jwt0001 New Member

I added Sirius to my XM because I'm a baseball fan and a Howard fan. By adding the Best of Sirius, I now get the best of both worlds, with football added in!

I have way too many radios and this will allow me to drop back on some of my subscriptions.
  11. phillyphan

phillyphan Member

Since I am not a Howard fan, I changed my SIRIUS sub to "family friendly" and save $2 per month. I did the same thing with my XM sub since I am not an O&A fan either. The only channel I lost that I like is Blue Collar Comedy.
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2008
  12. TimTimSalabim

I thought I would share my "Best Of XM" trip report...

About a month ago, when it first appeared on the website, I signed up for Best Of XM. Mainly because I wanted more variety in my talk and sports, and I'm too cheap to get a dual sub (as illustrated by my clinging to my outdated but sturdy Starmate Replay).

Well, my radio updated when I turned it on, said "Subscription updated, press any key", but no new channels appeared. I called up Sirius. The CSR put me on hold, came back after several minutes and told me, the Starmate Replay is not compatible with Best Of, you will have to get a new radio if you want it. I told him just to revert me back to my standard sub.

So, a few weeks passed, then on a hunch, the other day I stubbornly decided to try again. I once again added Best Of from the web site. I figured, well at least I'll have the internet channels. Then, on another hunch, I brought my radio inside, and did a Reactivate Signal (or whatever it's called) from the web site. And voila, my radio updated and the XM channels appeared! So the story has a happy ending after all (but does O&A get better after awhile?)