Best Buy Warranty

erock9174

Mar 17, 2009
Does anyone know how the Best Buy warranty works on Sirius units ?
I paid for the 4 year extended warranty on my Starmate 5 and the Antenna is now on the fritz. I thought the saleman said something about they would try troubleshooting it and/or fix it before replacing the unit.
I just wonder if you have to actually take the entire unit and everything (wiring, etc) out of the car. I know the antenna went bad. Wonder if they would just provide a new antenna.
Anyone else deal with them ?

phillyguy856

Nov 6, 2008
I was actually headed to best buy tomorrow to trade in my stiletto 100 for a stiletto 2. I checked it out with them ahead of time. I was told that they would trade the unit in for a new one instead of repairing or even taking a look at it... I was told to bring everything that I got with it meaning the headphones, batteries, etc. But its only for the unit not any of the accessories as far as the car kits and home kits. They told me there was nothing they would do with them and I would have to rebuy them.

Before you go ripping anything apart, go into the store and ask them what to do and how they would handle it. I would go direclty to the 'Geek Squad' That is where I was directed.

Good Luck!

erock9174

Mar 17, 2009
I could see them not giving you a new car kit for the Stiletto since that is a stand alone product. With my unit the (Starmate), the car kit is included in the box, so my guess is I would have to take the entire thing (receiver, cradle, antenna, all wiring) for a full refund.

I just remembered though, that the antenna that went bad was not the one that came with my Starmate. I had a previous unit in the car with a Trek antenna already installed. When I got my new Starmate I just kept that Trek antenna in the car instead of doing all the labor of swapping out the antenna. So the antenna that came with my Starmate is still brand new in the box, so I am just going to put that in and I won't have to use the warranty unless something else flakes on me.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Many years ago, I returned a Sportster Replay for a Starmate 4. When I did that, I returned the car kit as well.

IMPORTANT -- If you have a Stiletto 100, figure out a way to saw off the sides of the car dock. If you are able to remove the sides, your Stiletto 2 can fit in the dock.

(Of course, you can also talk to Taylor at tssradio.com and maybe figure out a trade of some sort.)

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Asked the main associate in audio about warranty stuff last night. If it does not look like damage was inflicted on a piece of hardware they will swap it without troubleshooting. IMO the fair wear and tear topic is not worth investigating and they want you to purchase things from them in the future.

Erock9174, in your case I'm willing to say if you take in the antenna they will give you a new one.