Best and worst PROGRAMMED channels on Sirius XM

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
Not the channels you LIKE the best and least, but the ones you feel are programmed the best for what they are supposed to be:

MY BEST PROGRAMMED
1. Underground Garage- this is one of the coolest, most unique channels on satellite radio. There are almost zero repeats. I'd say it has the biggest playlist of any original Sirius channel by far, and the DJs are entertaining and very knowledgeable and passionate about the music they play.

2. Deep Tracks- see my review of this great channel on Walk The Dog.

3. 90s on 9- They play a wide variety of 90s music- pop, rap, alternative, early 90s and late 90s. They have a nice big playlist, especially if you compare them to the 80s channel!

MY WORST PROGRAMMED
1. Outlaw Country- as I mentioned before, this station is really trying to be two stations at once, and they end up not doing either format very well. They are trying to replace XM 12's alt. country while also trying to remain Sirius's Outlaw Country. Since these formats are quite different, this station is struggling to find a true identity.

2. BPM- this station has become very repetitive, and plays too many remixes of pop hits. It has so much potential, but Sirius-XM has chosen to make it very stale and disappointing.

3. 80s on 8- Much too tight a playlist now, and most of the selections seem to be from the first half of the 80s. The late 80s music seems to be neglected far too much here. And they NEVER play "Pac-Man Fever"

Last edited:
Reactions: mrpacs

Jleimer

Oct 30, 2008
Sparks,NV
My Best and Worst Programmed
1. Deep Tracks simply put this is the best channel on the platform because you discover alot of stuff you have never heard before.
2. 90's on 9 A wide variety of 90's music that takes you back.
3. Jam On Alot of stuff that is simply the best.
Best
Worst
1. 80's on 8 what the hell happened to this we go from good to bad in one swoop.
2. Faction Too many repeats of the same stuff during the day

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
RIght on with the 80s on 8 and the 90s on 9! That 90s station is WAY BETTER than before! 80s not soo good.

HCLogo

Dec 28, 2008
GTA, Ontario, Canada
Best:
Deep Tracks
Underground Garage

Worst:
Faction - How many times a day do they play "Slipknot - Psychosocial" (and others)? I still listen because I like the material and some of the DJ's, but I really wish they'd expand the play list.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
Best-The Groove
On it's way to being the worst-Soul Street.
Recently SS is sounding like The Groove depending on when you listen.:confused:

prymel

Nov 27, 2008
As far as I'm concerned, Deep Tracks is the only music station on the service worth a damn, but it is so good, it's worth the price of the subscription by itself. How it survived the merge basically intact never ceases to amaze me, particularly since The Vault was so tailor-made to the Sirius familiar playlist philosophy. I can't get into Underground Garage, no matter how much I try. One of these days, I'll give Jam On a whirl.

Gary1

Dec 9, 2008
Best and Worst

Best Channels:

The Loft---Great variety of music with few repeats. DJ's are knowledgable and add to the listening experience. I preferred it before it became so Sirius Disorder oriented, but it's still a very good channel.

Deep Tracks---Like the Loft, great variety of songs with few repeats and knowledgable DJ's. Also, the specials such as Bob Dylan Radio Hour, Tom Petty Buried Treasures, Headphones Only, Blacklight Room are first rate. This is the way satellite radio should be and what I envisioned when I became a subscriber.

Most Disappointing Channel:

The Spectrum---This should have been a great channel but Sirius has managed to screw up a good thing by constantly playing the same songs over and over again and adding annoying bumpers between songs. This sounds just like a typical FM station you can hear anywhere on terrestrial radio. The DJ's (except Marc Goodman) sound like they don't know what to say most of the time. The voice-tracking is evident and annoying. Nordic Rox should be on a pop station instead of a rock station like this. The songs they play are excellent, but everything else about the station is disappointing. A typical Sirius channel.

Vestitor

Jan 7, 2009
Worst:
80's on 8 - Most of the stuff they play now is stuff I have never even heard of and I grew up in the 80s. Before the merger The Big 80's was my normal channel...now I surf looking for something.
BPM - There used to always be something on that I could listen to on The Beat

Best:
90's on 9 - Pretty good mix of stuff

i-l-l

Nov 12, 2008
Best: "Heart & Soul" which is just Suite 62 in new clothing. 1 major reason I kept XM was the urban channels. the old H&S played too many random tracks between the "power tracks". Suite 62's music programming is soooo much better and we get full length songs not being cut off by sweepers!

Worst: I would say "Mad Dog" Radio, but if it's music channels only, tie between Hip Hop Nation and Love. HHN is still the same ol power tracks. I was hoping Leo G would turn it into the new Raw. I only tune in when Leo G is on the air because he sometimes goes off the playlist. Love is weird like it's not really classic love songs anymore.

Last edited:

FaFaFooie

Oct 15, 2008
The 80s on 8 is really bad now ... It used to be the channel I listened to the most ... now I very rarely stick to it

The songs are not the hits anymore (which is what I want) ... I grew up on 80s music and I don't recognize over 60% of the music that is played ... there is a ton of bad 80s music and the 80s on 8 seems determined to feature the really bad side of the 80s

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
Sirius is screwing up Soul Street. There should be ABSOLUTLY NO 70's, 80's music on Soul Street but now there is which now has me thinking is the Groove about to be cut and they're playlist moved to SS to make room for another rock channel.:confused:

bwaldron

Oct 18, 2008
Tampa Bay, FL
1. Outlaw Country- as I mentioned before, this station is really trying to be two stations at once, and they end up not doing either format very well. They are trying to replace XM 12's alt. country while also trying to remain Sirius's Outlaw Country. Since these formats are quite different, this station is struggling to find a true identity.

I'd say that Outlaw Country has -- even in its Sirius incarnation -- always struggled to find a true identity.

TX WJ

Intelligent Donkey
Oct 15, 2008
Chucktown
Best

1. Coffee House
  2. Sirius NFL Radio (other than when Adam Schein is on)
  3. Classic Rewind
  4. Spectrum
  5. The Message

Worst
  1. Sirius Stars - What Stars, this channel SUCKS!
  2. Sirius Patriot - Full of No Talent Hacks
  3. Sirius Left - see above
  4. Wliies Place - very disappointing
  5. Single Artist Channels they all suck