• Jeff Kent

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Chase Utley

Votes: 1 6.7%

• Total voters

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I stole this poll from another site (ESPN)...thought it was interesting. The results were very close together. What say you? My vote goes for, of couse, Craig Biggio.

Bandit 5160

Oct 31, 2008
I voted for Ryne Sandberg. I watch him all the time on WGN as a kid, and he hit .300 with power just about every year he played and was no slouch in the field either. He also was a major threat to steal bases in the first part of his career. He stood out on that Cubs team for many years. And if character counts for anything, this guy was pure class all the way...unlike, say, Alomar. My guess is that all these guys will end up in the Hall of Fame, though it may be a bit early to make that call about Utley.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I voted for Alomar. As a Blue Jay he was fabulous to watch. When he left he became a total dick but that didn't change him from being a great 2B.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Uh...Joe Morgan....what the fuck?

Utley doesn't belong on the list....yet.

I watched Kent have some monster years in the Bay Area, but he did have Barry Bonds batting before or after him.

Biggio was a great player, Hall of Fame player, but when the Astros got Kent they did move Biggio to the outfield. Just sayin'.

I would pick Morgan over all of them. But Kent would be my number two guy.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Biggio was a great player, Hall of Fame player, but when the Astros got Kent they did move Biggio to the outfield. Just sayin'.

One of the reasons that allowed the Astros to obtain Kent was because Biggio could move positions. I don't think that's a knock on Biggio...just the opposite actually. No doubt Biggio was the better defensive second baseman of the two, but that was the only position Kent could play (besides maybe 1st, but that was Bagwell's). The guy was such a versatile player.

Last edited:

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
One of the reasons that allowed the Astros to obtain Kent was because Biggio could move positions. I don't think that's a knock on Biggio...just the opposite actually. No doubt Biggio was the better defensive second baseman of the two, but that was the only position Kent could play (besides maybe 1st, but that was Bagwell's). The guy was such a versatile player.

Certainly it speaks not only to Biggio's game ability, but also to his overall team player attitude...absolutely. I didn't mean to put it out there as a knock on Biggio as a second baseman, but rather how the Astros viewed Kent as an offensive weapon.

If Biggio was just an ounce different as a player, he could have taken the Kent signing to heart and demanded a trade. I think that the Astros GM knew what he had in Biggio and banked on him staying with the club. Was Biggio told of their interest in obtaining Kent?

By the way, I always thought that Kent was fine defensively. All the years he was in SF he never had any problems in turning two. He and Aurilia and Snow made for a surprisingly good infield. J.T. was of course an absolute stud with the glove. But for two slower guys up the middle, Richie and Jeff were very good.

If the whole scenario played out that Sabean was interested in obtaining Biggio back then, I don't think there would be any thought other than him going into the outfield.
No slam against him, just that Kent was at second and he was more than adequate at his position and he was much stronger with the bat.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Was Biggio told of their interest in obtaining Kent?

Absolutely. I don't remember the exact details surrounding it, but I do remember Biggio encouraged the move to bring Kent to Houston. I'm sure his thinking was, if we can add a bat like his in the lineup, even if it means I have to move to center, then fine...I want a championship. Same thing with Carlos Beltran. Remember, when the Astros traded for Beltran during the '04 season, Biggio once again offered to move positions, this time to left field. Pretty remarkable career, especially when you consider he started at catcher, moved to second base, then to center and left field, and finally finished back up at second.

One more thing...in '03 when they brought Kent over, Biggio was already 38 and his career as an elite player was in the rear-view. I doubt the Astro front office would have contemplated such a move while Biggio was in his prime.

I know you're a Giant fan and I an Astro, so clearly we have our preferences when it comes to Biggio and Kent. But, I'd still take Biggio in his prime over Kent in his. I look forward to the day when he returns to the Houston dugout wearing his number 7 uni, only this time he'll be managing.

sjb4

Oct 12, 2008
Don't forget Biggio came up as a catcher before moving to 2B. Also was the first guy I got an autograph from on a Spring Training trip in 1990 - on his 89 Topps card. Cool to think I met a future Hall of Famer when he was just starting out.

I voted for Sandberg since he was the forerunner of the power hitting middle infielder that is commonplace today.

Jeff Kent had some nice numbers with the Giants. but as far as the HOF for him, I'm not sure. When you think of great players from the mid to late 90's, does his name pop up at all?

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Don't forget Biggio came up as a catcher before moving to 2B. Also was the first guy I got an autograph from on a Spring Training trip in 1990 - on his 89 Topps card. Cool to think I met a future Hall of Famer when he was just starting out.

I voted for Sandberg since he was the forerunner of the power hitting middle infielder that is commonplace today.

Jeff Kent had some nice numbers with the Giants. but as far as the HOF for him, I'm not sure. When you think of great players from the mid to late 90's, does his name pop up at all?

It should, he was an MVP, and it was in no way a fluke. He's proven himself while wearing many different uniforms. He's the all time leader for home runs for a second baseman.

sjb4

Oct 12, 2008
It should, he was an MVP, and it was in no way a fluke. He's proven himself while wearing many different uniforms. He's the all time leader for home runs for a second baseman.

Juan Gonzalez won 2 MVP's and that means nothing in terms of HOF worthiness. Would you put Jeff Kent in, say, your top 20 players of the past 15 years? I don't think he's a guy that most fans would look at and think, wow, he's a surefire Hall of Famer. I think he gets lost in the shuffle of the HR boom of the 90's - and was a product of that era. Hitting with Bonds certainly helped, too. Aside from being the HR leader for second basemen, his offensive stats aren't anything spectacular. He was a very good player, but in my opinion not an alltime great - and not better than Biggio, Sandberg, or Alomar.

gilpdawg

Oct 12, 2008
New Paris, OH
Alomar could do it all.

Even spit on an umpire. :ignore:

A Great player though. He and the umpire made up and created a charity foundation.

CNNSI.com - MLB Baseball - Alomar, Hirschbeck now good friends 4 years later - Monday May 15, 2000 06:58 PM
Huh, I never knew Alomar and Hirchbeck made up. Good story.

Staying on topic, right now, I'd say Biggio gets my vote. Alomar kind of flamed out early. He was toast at 34....and was mildly over rated before that. If Utley keeps it up, he may be the best of this list 10 years from now.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Juan Gonzalez won 2 MVP's and that means nothing in terms of HOF worthiness. Would you put Jeff Kent in, say, your top 20 players of the past 15 years? I don't think he's a guy that most fans would look at and think, wow, he's a surefire Hall of Famer. I think he gets lost in the shuffle of the HR boom of the 90's - and was a product of that era. Hitting with Bonds certainly helped, too. Aside from being the HR leader for second basemen, his offensive stats aren't anything spectacular. He was a very good player, but in my opinion not an alltime great - and not better than Biggio, Sandberg, or Alomar.

You make some good points. However, the fact does remain, he's the all-time leading home run hitter among second basemen. The total itself isn't staggering (377), but I do think the voters will fall in love with that fact. The home run seems to be king as far as offensive stats go, and I don't see them leaving out the all-time leader at one position. If Bill Mazeroski can get in off of one home run, Kent should get in from of all of his.

sjb4

Oct 12, 2008
You make some good points. However, the fact does remain, he's the all-time leading home run hitter among second basemen. The total itself isn't staggering (377), but I do think the voters will fall in love with that fact. The home run seems to be king as far as offensive stats go, and I don't see them leaving out the all-time leader at one position. If Bill Mazeroski can get in off of one home run, Kent should get in from of all of his.

Good point about Mazeroski. But he was a veterans committee selection, and was a great defensive player. If he doesn't get the writers vote, the veterans commitee is not as likely to consider Kent given his less than sparkling personality and he's pissed off plenty of teammates over the years. Former players hold grudges just like writers do.

My bottom line with Kent as a HOF'er is that if he is elected, then players like George Foster, Don Mattingly, Alan Trammell, and Lou Whitaker should be in there, too.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Trammell and Sweet Lou...best double-play combination ever? I got to see them at Tiger Stadium a few times in my youth.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbert is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
My bottom line with Kent as a HOF'er is that if he is elected, then players like George Foster, Don Mattingly, Alan Trammell, and Lou Whitaker should be in there, too.

While I am not sure about Kent, I am surprised that Mattingly, Trammel and Whitiker are not in the hall of fame. They should be IMHO.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
Howard played a very short clip of Kent's speech on yesterday's show (with Gold Dust interspersed in the background). Too bad Kent couldn't retire with the SF Giants logo behind him.

Also, according to Artie, Kent won a World Series with the Cardinals. I never knew.