BBC Radio 1 vs. U-Pop - Which will survive?

What is the fate of BBC Radio 1 and U-Pop on the new SiriusXM?

• I think BBC Radio 1 will continue exclusively on Sirius and UPop will continue exclusively on XM

Votes: 4 21.1%
  • I think U-Pop will be multicast on both Sirius and XM (BBC Radio 1 will no longer be available)

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I think BBC Radio 1 will be multicast on Sirius and XM (UPop will no longer be available)

Votes: 11 57.9%
  • I think both BBC Radio 1 and UPop will be available to all subscribers of SiriusXM

Votes: 4 21.1%

• Total voters

satradfan

Oct 11, 2008
What do people think the fate of BBC Radio 1 and U-Pop will be on the new SiriusXM?

I for one, am a big fan of BBC Radio 1 and hope that survives!! The music they play, special performances and weekly UK chart show are great!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
U-POP is provided by WorldSpace. WorldSpace declared bankruptcy last week. I think it would likely be gone shortly from XM with or without the merger. BBC-1 seems like a no brainer now.

SISO

Oct 11, 2008
I'm not sure what the contractual agreement is between XM and WorldSpace to provide UPop to XM subs. Both are very good stations, but in the end it will probably be BBC Radio 1.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Very likely BBC1 will end up on both services and UPop will go bye, bye. I like them both myself, but actually like UPop a bit more than BBC1. OH well! :)

dlnester

Oct 15, 2008
Overland Park, Kansas
XM takes U-Pop down every now and then to make way for specialty programming like Holly and short-form programmed specialty channels. I'm not sure if it is on the Satellite right now or not, my XM radio isn't able to get a signal right now.

I think BBC Radio 1 will survive over U-Pop.

crazy25

Oct 19, 2008
I hope that BBC Radio 1 survives, rather than UPOP in this situation. I love alot of the specialty programming on Radio 1 (daytime programming, dance programming, the weekly countdown, etc.), even with the amount of DJ chatter. I would be very sad to see Radio 1 leave the Sirius lineup, though I think Radio 1 will survive the channel merging coming up.

MadisonRadio1

MadisonRadio
Oct 17, 2008
Madison, Wisconsin
Well I hope we get to keep at least one of them. Since neither is an actual product of Sirius or XM, it's not a question choosing Sirius personal of XM's. So maybe both channels will stay.

One thing I don't understand about XM's Mostly Music package is why UPOP is not offered. Other than it gets preempted so much.