Battery Backup for XMP3 or Stiletto

Mikey394

Dec 19, 2008
Red Lion, Pa.
Most XMP3 owners know that the internal battery only lasts about 3.5 hours of live Satellite listening.

I made myself a battery backup for my XMP3.
Should work on Stiletto also.

I was using two XMP3 batteries and they would only last about 7 hours. Not enough if I’m working a 10~12 hour day.

I had a 4x AA battery case for an iPod I was not using. I took the case apart, used an old broken car power cable from a Stiletto and took out the iPod cable, soldered in the old Stiletto car power cable. The Stiletto plug is the same as the XMP3. I’ll be using 4 2500 mAh AA Rechargeable Nimh Batteries in the case. At 1.25 volts for each battery that will give me 5 total volts.

Tried it out today at work:

I listened to recorded content for 6 hours on stock battery.
Battery indicator showed about 1/2 of the battery left.
Then plugged in my Battery Backup and listen to Live Sat for four hours. Battery indicator was at almost full charge at end of four hours.

Maybe someone can figure out how long the Battery will last.
I'm guessing about 10 to 12 hours of live Sat.

Internal Battery is 3.7volts 920 mAh and adding my 4 AA Battery case @ 5volts 2500 mAh, how long will it last before running out of power?

The Internal Battery will last about 3.5 hours.
The AA Batteries are nmH 1.25volts 2500mAh each

Last edited:

Mikey394

Dec 19, 2008
Red Lion, Pa.
Makes you wonder why Sirius XM doesn't market a product like this. No more dependency on propietary batteries!

maybe TSS Radio can do that.

There are 101 battery backups for iphones, cell phones, etc.
The one I made is a larger 4x battery case. I did a search for battery backups and found alot of 2x AA battery cases.
Adding a cable from a old broken car adaptor is easy.