Baseball stat question

Discussion in 'MLB' started by Davis, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Davis

Davis Member

What team has the greatest percentage of championships when you compare championships to number of years in the league? If a team moved and changed names then it is still the same team for this discussion.

I don't know the answer but I want to find out.
  2. MM

MM Administrator

I will guess and say the Yankees.
  3. AJ_II

AJ_II Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, I think the answer is the New York Yankee organization. In 107 years, the Yankee organization has a total of 26 World Series crowns (roughly 24.3 %). I would think the Marlins are right up there as well...they've won 2 championships in 15 years (13.33 %).

I'd be curious to know how many baseball fans realize that the Yankees started out as the Baltimore Orioles?
  4. Davis

Davis Member

I was assuming that a team would challenge the Yankees. Maybe not.
  5. DoublEE

DoublEE Active Member

It would be hard to beat almost 25%
  6. Davis

Davis Member

Yeah, I had no idea it was that high. I don't follow baseball at all. I have gone to several games and I watch the playoffs if Philly is in it but that is about it. I played it, under protest, as a child. I was one hell of a pitcher but I was scared shitless that every ball was coming right back at my head. That caused me to quit come HS.
  7. AJ_II

AJ_II Well-Known Member

Yankees have pretty much dominated baseball. The Cardinals have the second most championships with ten...16 less than the Yankees. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_World_Series_won
  8. DoublEE

DoublEE Active Member

Correct. Here's the hat of the 1901 Baltimore Orioles; which would become the New York Highlanders, then the Yankees.

[​IMG]
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2008
  9. Ifandorbut

Ifandorbut Well-Known Member

I think if the Marlins won the next two WS then they would have to challenge the Yankees.
  10. Aaron

Aaron Moderator

11. Wolf

Wolf The Lone Wolf

The D-Backs once did hehe
  12. MM

MM Administrator

What about those Red Wings?
  13. goreds2

goreds2 Well-Known Member

I think they won in their second season.