Banjos And Xylophones In Popular Music

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
Banjos and xylophones are offbeat instruments for rock/pop music, but they show up in some notable songs. Here's a few

Banjo:

Neil Young – Old Man

Dexy’s Midnight Runners – Come On Eileen

BTW, I came across this 2nd live clip, that's easily one of the worst performances of any song by any group. This may explain their one-hit status.

Xylophone:

Gotye/Kimbra – Somebody That I Used to Know

Violent Femmes – Gone Daddy Gone

If you know of others, post it here. And please, no Mumford & Sons. Yes, I know they have a banjo, but it's a part of their band, so it doesn't really fit the thread. Plus, they suck.

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
Lest we forget about cowbell.
More cowbell, always. But I'm on the fence about that, because then one could ask, "what about sitar, mandolin, bells, wood block, berimbau?" So maybe we should stick with things that look like xylophones, and banjos.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
i know i'm going back to the well yet again but i really love when phish decides to dabble in bluegrass. when that happens, the banjo is never too far behind.

edit: hmm...now that i actually read the thread and not just the title i guess this may be cheating because those songs are not rock or pop. but they are from a rock band, so i'll need a ruling scotch.

Last edited:

scotchandcigar

arrogant bastard
Feb 13, 2009
MA
i know i'm going back to the well yet again but i really love when phish decides to dabble in bluegrass. when that happens, the banjo is never too far behind.

edit: hmm...now that i actually read the thread and not just the title i guess this may be cheating because those songs are not rock or pop. but they are from a rock band, so i'll need a ruling scotch.
You can post anything you want, but I think it's better if people come up with songs that everyone's familiar with from the radio.

Reactions: JHDK