Bad time to start a lifetime sub?

Discussion in 'SiriusXM Soundwave Cafe' started by HCLogo, Jan 21, 2009.

1. HCLogo

HCLogo Member

So I've been thinking of upgrading my account to a lifetime subscription however with all the talk of SiriusXM being in financial trouble makes me a little uneasy.
    Would this be a bad time to get into a lifetime sub and risk losing a bunch of money if SiriusXM goes under?

Also, the 3 transfer limit really seems a little crazy to me. When I use up all my transfers will I be forced to pay for another lifetime subscription in order to upgrade to a newer radio?

I currently have a one year subscription and I'm thinking it might be smarter to wait for a while and see what happens. What do you think?

2. joe2k4

joe2k4 Member

I don't think so, if everyone thinks like this of course the company will fail. I just paid for the best of xm lifetime, and I will ride it out whatever happens. Today Clear Channel lays off over 1000 employees, and no one is tearing them apart. God Siriusxm lays off people to save money and the whole company is dead.

3. dlynx

dlynx Member

The lifetime deal is really a good deal. Even if you did burn through a few radios over the term of it, as long as you got at least 48 months of service or more you would be break even or better (accounting for transfer fees and the lifetime sub). So unless you are extremely abusive to your equipment I would seriously consider it if you find value in the services you receive today.

As far as the long term outlook of the company, I still have faith that they will manage to continue to operate for the foreseeable future.

4. GordyMac

GordyMac Member

I'd go for it myself.. and when I did work there.. the 3 transfers was a guideline, I never personally EVER charged a customer for swapping a radio on a lifetime subscription.. I don't think it is one of their major concerns.. I think it is more so to keep people from swapping constantly with new radios all the time..

5. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

Yeah, look at me... I only have 17 months to go and I haven't used a single swap, and probably by the time the new SIRIUS portable comes out, I will be < 6 months away from breaking even.

When that time comes, I will make my first swap and I'll get an extended warranty through Best Buy. If my radio ever stops working, all I need to do is fax a copy over to SIRIUS and I will get a new radio without it counting against me as a swap).

Don't let the 3 swaps discourage you (unless you're the kind of person that likes to buy every model that comes out or as lynx said, you're careless with your belongings).

Last edited: Jan 21, 2009
  6. HCLogo

HCLogo Member

Now you guys are making me lean more towards going for it! :p

I just got my SL2 for Xmas and I'm completely obsessed :bigthumbup:

7. Tgajr

Tgajr Member

?????????

What are you listening to on best of XM?

8. Tgajr

Tgajr Member

Listen to me

I have had the lifetime sub since 2005. I have been very happy with it. I was obviously not going back to FM. And I am the kind to use things to death, so the life time of my radio only depends on its function.

If you are a techi and want the newest each year I wouldnt get the lifetime sub.

9. Vols44

Vols44 Well-Known Member

Since I'm relatively modest I'm not going to list my lifetime sub (Sirius everything) in my sig. I got a one year sub Christmas of 2007 and can't see myself relying on terrestial radio except for tornado reports and Amber alerts. Call me an optimist, but I don't see Sirius/XM completely disappearing in the next 5, 10 or 50 years. Based on testimonials, I consider myself lucky that my hardware (knock on wood) is superior in quality and made for the long haul. Consider a lifetime sub as an investment that's going to pay dividends after the third year. In case posters don't know the 399.99 (499.99 for the best of either) payment can be spread out evenly over five consecutive months.

10. IdRatherBeSkiing

IdRatherBeSkiing Sherbert is not and never will be ice cream

I did the lifetime when I subscribed to Sirius. I had a bonus cheque and allocated a chunk of it for my SL2 + accessories and a lifetime sub. Since warrentee exchanges do not count, you should get 1-3 years out of each receiver. You only need just over 3 years to break even.

Of course if Sirius XM goes belly up .... you are SOL. If I was making the decision now, I would wait until this summer. If they are still chugging on they will have passed their biggest hurdles regarding debt payments and should make it.

11. SSF

SSF Member

:bigthumbup: Ditto over here.

12. blacknoi

blacknoi Member

Its funny, I have 2 lifetime radios. Both incompatible with the best of XM package.

I called in to ask if they were compatible with best of XM. i was told no.

I told the lady I wanted to add the lifetime best of XM (100 bux she said) if she could swap my lifetime sub to a newer, compatible radio and waive the 75 dollar fee to switch.

They told me no. I was very surprised at this.

I was told I'd have to pay the 75 dollar swap fee, then the 100 bux to add the best of XM.

Very very surprised.

13. SSF

SSF Member

To add Best OF navigate to the Sirius My Account page, click your ESN, then select Change Plan and it should give you the option up top.

14. Supafly

Supafly Member

Since you got the SL2 for Christmas might as well use it. I'd buy a monthly subscription or three month subscription if they have it.

Sirius stock price is .105. If it keeps dropping half a penny a day it has about a month before bankruptcy (if they choose it.) Or they could just liquidate.

I imagine they are looking for a private investor right now, but won't find one.

Three indisputable facts:

1) Sirius must increase it's subscriber base to continue functioning.
    2) Sirius gains most of it's subscribers through new auto sales.
    3) Sirius cannot afford to lose subscribers.

It won't increase it's subscriber base through new car sales and it will lose subscribers through price increases and line-up changes.

My guess is Sirius is finished by March, 2009.

Personally I'm prepared to move to a PDA with web service for my music and info needs.

The $27 or so I'll save from sat radio will pay for the PDA web service and a subscription service like Pandora.

$27 may not be much to most people. If I could have both sat rad and PDA service I would. But's it's those recurring costs that take the bite out of lifetime of trying to save for the future.

15. HCLogo

HCLogo Member

Well I have a 1 year sub right now, so maybe I'll just sit tight for a few months and see how things go.

16. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

Reverse-stock split before that happens. We've given them authorisation to do so when it was put to vote.

17. Supafly

Supafly Member

You may be familiar with reverse stock splits. They always come from desperate companies and almost always make things worse.

Nortel's a somewhat parallel example. They approved a whopping 1:10 stock split in 2006 (before the economy tanked) and there shares are lower now than before the split. They're talking about another split to prevent delisting.

Sirius XM shareholders OK reverse stock split -- it's not going to help - BloggingStocks

If you like or understand trading, here's an interesting comment from the same site linked above about Sirius. Maybe they were forced fund trading or maybe some members here have it right that Sirius is being purposefully run into the ground.