Back Up For A Mac

Evil_Ernie

Smell my finger
Oct 11, 2008
Hell
I have a 1TB Time Capsule that backs up every hour with Time Machine. It does the job for me.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I am using Time Machine with a 320 gig WD My Home.

Time Machine is the easiest way to go, you just plug in your external and you're good to go.

I have heard that you need double the size external as your internal. I have exactly the same for both. I just keep an eye on my Time Machine and when it gets full, I just reformat the drive and start over. I only had to do this once in a year.

Run to CC and get what they have left.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I am using Time Machine with a 320 gig WD My Home.

Time Machine is the easiest way to go, you just plug in your external and you're good to go.

I have heard that you need double the size external as your internal. I have exactly the same for both. I just keep an eye on my Time Machine and when it gets full, I just reformat the drive and start over. I only had to do this once in a year.

Run to CC and get what they have left.

Don't do that - you'll get ripped off on the price and be stuck with it if it's broken. :) Any of the drives will work fine. I think even Seagate has addressed their recent issues with the Fee Agent line. I think the ones listed as specifically being for Mac are just preformatted HFS+. You can always manually format any drive that you happen to pick up in Disk Utility.

I also use time machine. Works pretty well, but not sure its your best option if you are worried about a bare metal restore. For selective restores, though, it seems to work great. The thing about backup up to another hard drive is that it can also fail. for the REALLY important things, it also doesn't hurt to have a copy on DVD or CD in addition to the drives.

MM, you shouldn't have to reformat it when it gets full - you can have it expire the oldest backups automatically.

kwhitney

Feb 6, 2009
Time Machine works very well for me, and Mozy and BackJack are good online services. Mozy is free up to 2GB.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
NAS Adapter from Addonics 55$

and any good usb hdd. ~75 and up.

Easy to grab on the way out the door if a wildfire or the feds are coming.

And you can also remote ftp into it if you want.

I also use the 5gb off site backup my isp includes.

Sirius Rich

Oct 11, 2008
Houston
What did you end up doing?

How's the new MacBook?

Nothing yet other than back up a few documents and files from work on a external HD that I bought a couple years ago. I was thinking about the the Time Capsule for the now multiple Macs in the house or a WD external already formatted for Mac. I probably will do the later and keep the current 160 gig for the 3 PC's in the house. I am still a little unsure which way to go due to not knowing if I can back up the programs on my and the daughter's MacBooks. Is that possible?

>>>How's the MacBook

Long story, but I had to wipe the HD due to my company buying the extra 2 gig (total of 4), but wrong RAM. So in retrospect, I needed to back this now cooking with gas MacBook, before adding the RAM. The Apple Genius worked on this MacBook over three days before finally finding it was the RAM causing my crashes. Live and Learn.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I am still a little unsure which way to go due to not knowing if I can back up the programs on my and the daughter's MacBooks. Is that possible?

Yes you can. When you use Time Machine it saves all that for you. When I upgraded my HD I used my Time Machine backup to put everything back on the new HD. It was exactly like I had it on the old HD.

Long story, but I had to wipe the HD due to my company buying the extra 2 gig (total of 4), but wrong RAM. So in retrospect, I needed to back this now cooking with gas MacBook, before adding the RAM. The Apple Genius worked on this MacBook over three days before finally finding it was the RAM causing my crashes. Live and Learn.

At least you are back in business now. :)

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
I was thinking about the the Time Capsule for the now multiple Macs in the house or a WD external already formatted for Mac. I probably will do the later and keep the current 160 gig for the 3 PC's in the house. I am still a little unsure which way to go due to not knowing if I can back up the programs on my and the daughter's MacBooks. Is that possible?

Time Capsule is the best choice for ease of use with regard to multiple Macs and Time Machine. Apple has been pretty clear that they don't support wireless backups any other way - some folks have no issues, others have nothing but issues. I think a lot of it depends on the various home wireless routers being used. Since Time Capsule's wireles acess is built-in and tweaked by Apple, you get their guarantee of performance.

That being said, *wired* backups using something like the WD or Seagate drives are certainly possible with little issue, as long as you set things up properly. Attach it to a Mac, and then allow it to be shared over the network. Pretty easy, but the only downside is that the system in question has to be powered on and available to the network - not optimal if you aren't a nerd like me with a Mac on all the time. :) I have a Buffalo DriveStation Duo raid drive attached to my Macbook, and it's shared to my wife's Mini. We both back up to it without issue.

As for external drives, save the cash on Mac formatted if there is a big price difference. You can reformat a PC model with Disk Utility. Choose Mac OS Extended (Journaled) - be sure to *not* choose Case Sensitive. Choose GUID partition map is for Intel Macs, and you're off to the races.

Reactions: Sirius Rich