AVG 8.5 update issues

Andrew8468

Plans on freezing in the dark
Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
Anybody else experiencing the same problem I am? First, it was just "cant access the server" trying to get updates but now I am getting "Access is forbidden". I can't think of anything I changed recently other that upgrading from AVG 8.0 to 8.5 and haven't had any update problems before.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
sounds kinda fishy.. you can download the bin file that has the update, then apply manually. that has got me out of that jam before.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I had issues on my last version of Windows 7. I ended up reinstalling the newest version of Windows 7 and the install was easy with no issues.

On my XP the upgrade to 8.5 was flawless.

Maybe it was a fluke.

I think you should uninstall 8.0, then install 8.5.

Andrew8468

Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
Just to clarify, I have Windows XP, SP3 and the install of AVG 8.5 was fine and it has run fine, including updates, until the last 24 hours or so.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I've dumped AVG in favor of Avast. AVG is totally a resource hog compared to Avast. I noticed this when I started using a netbook. Also the free version of AVG has the worse protection record of all the current free anti-virius programs out there.

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I've dumped AVG in favor of Avast. AVG is totally a resource hog compared to Avast. I noticed this when I started using a netbook. Also the free version of AVG has the worse protection record of all the current free anti-virius programs out there.

Are you using the Free Home Edition?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Are you using the Free Home Edition?

I was using the free home edition of AVG, then free home edition of Avast. I have since purchased a family pack with Avast that includes the Pro version and a server version for my home server.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Andrew if you are using IE, make sure your security settings are set to defaults. Sometimes those things get turn up to max and then you'll get the type of errors you are talking about. I've had this happen before and it drove me nuts, till I figured it out. It still happen from time to time, I am not sure what actually changes the settings.

Andrew8468

Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
No IE here, Firefox 3.0.10 and Safari beta 4 for Windows on my desktop. On my lappy, I have Safari 3 only.

Updated as of 430 pm -- not going to believe this but my desktop wont connect to the Avast servers for updates either. Lappy is fine tho. All I can think of is my darling 5 year old nephew clicked on something and I doubt he cal tell me what it is. I checked to make sure Windows firewall was still turned off.

Again to summarize, Windows XP with SP3, Comodo firewall.

Last edited:

Andrew8468

Oct 26, 2008
Canada, eh?
Updated as of 430 pm -- not going to believe this but my desktop wont connect to the Avast servers for updates either. Lappy is fine tho. All I can think of is my darling 5 year old nephew clicked on something and I doubt he cal tell me what it is. I checked to make sure Windows firewall was still turned off.

Again to summarize, Windows XP with SP3, Comodo firewall.

I retract this statement, it was the settings in Avast. Got the most recent update although I dont understand how one worked right away and the other didn't

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Being behind a hardware firewall I don't use a software firewall in fact I find them more troublesome than good. They just aren't worth the time and effort in my view.

I've never had to change any setting in Avast to get it to download updates, not sure what that is about.