Audiovox Adds XMp3i Portable Satellite Radio to Lineup

admin

Administrator
Staff member
Oct 7, 2008
Audiovox Corporation announced today at CES that it will be supplying the XMp3i from SIRIUS XM Radio as part of its line-up. XMp3i will carry an MSRP of $229.95.

XMp3i is SIRIUS XM’s smallest and most innovative portable satellite radio and MP3 player. Loaded with features, the XMp3i is capable of recording up to 100 hours of live XM programming, including up to 10 hours of songs from XM’s commercial-free music channels, and gives users the ability to pause, rewind and replay up to 30 minutes of live satellite radio at the touch of a button.

The XMp3i also features SIRIUS XM’s revolutionary PowerConnect(TM) technology.

Tom Malone, president of Audiovox Electronics Corporation stated, “The addition of this innovative new model further strengthens the SIRUS XM line that we supply and further expands our relationship with SIRIUS XM. We believe there is an appetite among consumers for this product and we look forward to placing it with our retail customers.”

In addition, an enhanced Programming Guide provides subscribers with more ways than ever to discover their favorite shows and music. XMp3i is also compatible with “The Best of SIRIUS” programming package, and boasts a slot for a microSD(TM) memory card to make it easy for listeners to add and enjoy more of their personal music library.

Audiovox CES booth is located at 11006-10506.

Sorry no pictures yet.

---
View the original Article at Digital Radio Magazine or discuss it here.

mynameisjamie

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago, IL
The xPress RCi was just the xPress RC with a PowerConnect Dock/Power Adapter included. So I would assume the XMp3i is the XMp3 with a PowerConnect car kit? which would be weird since haven't most of their portables since the Inno come with home kits?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
The xPress RCi was just the xPress RC with a PowerConnect Dock/Power Adapter included. So I would assume the XMp3i is the XMp3 with a PowerConnect car kit? which would be weird since haven't most of their portables since the Inno come with home kits?

On the XM side. My SL2 (bought in Canada) came with a car kit included (wasn't even advertised it was just there -- I also don't think it was priced correctly since the price was the same as the radio alone at other stores -- gotta love retailers who don't understand the product they are selling).

TSS Taylor

DRC Fan
Oct 9, 2008
Chicago, IL
www.tss-radio.com
I will give an update maybe Saturday from my twitter. The XM Portables usually do include home kits. This makes me think they will include a car kit instead of a home kit.

In Canada they include Car Kits with the SIRIUS Stiletto's vs here no kits.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
In this day and age, it would baffle me how they could make a portable receiver with no wi-fi capabilities.

They would have had to totally redesign the XMp3 in order to accomplish this. What I never got is why XM as much as they seem to be so much more cutting edge than Sirius got behind the 8 ball on this.

Sirius shouldn't release any portable going forward that doesn't have WIFI!

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Sorry all, no WiFi.

Although, the new antenna looks like a tampon, as mentioned on Orbitcast.

I "lol"d at that.

shabadoo25

Oct 12, 2008
So when you power this version on, it says 'Audiovox' instead of 'Pioneer'?

I wonder if they have worked out some of the bugs, or if the release of this product will mean more software fixes for all the xmp3s?

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
So when you power this version on, it says 'Audiovox' instead of 'Pioneer'?

I wonder if they have worked out some of the bugs, or if the release of this product will mean more software fixes for all the xmp3s?

Perhaps they will have some insentive to fix the firmware now but then again maybe not. I don't know if this rebranding will have any affect as certainly the firmware is the same as is the hardware.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Perhaps they will have some insentive to fix the firmware now but then again maybe not. I don't know if this rebranding will have any affect as certainly the firmware is the same as is the hardware.

I think you are likely more apt to see an update or fix for the XMp3 than the SL2. The reason being that Audiovox taking over, they would have access to put out updates, plus the OS and such likely isn't proprietary in a sense that it is owned by someone else as is the case with Zing/Dell and the SL2.

One can certainly hope they will fix some of the issues with the XMp3, but then would they be able to update older Pioneer version with an Audiovox update?

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
i sure hope they fix the recording issues. i got rid of mine and went back to the stiletto for that reason. impossible to keep a schedule on there