Atlas Shrugged

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
This is a rather hot book right now that is really seeing a huge resurgance lately do to our current economic struggles as well as the government bailouts, attitude, etc.

Despite being written over 50 years ago, this book really does mirror what is going on in our culture and how our capitilistic society is fading away.

Now, my question. Who's reading it now? Who's read it? Discuss here?

I know at least one other DRC'er is reading this right now but curious to see if anyone else is.

I'm about 120 pages in.

Reactions: blyons200

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Who's reading "Atlas Shrugged"? The same people who have always been reading it. Naive people who think they are special, gifted, lonely heroes and have the stomach for atrocious prose. I ran into clutches of them in college.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Who's reading "Atlas Shrugged"? The same people who have always been reading it. Naive people who think they are special, gifted, lonely heroes and have the stomach for atrocious prose. I ran into clutches of them in college.

Ok, I laughed out loud at that one because, well, you're right. I ran into a zillion of these people too and they really pissed me off.

However this book is being talked about once again by not just those people you reference buy also by much more normal people--such as myself. Trust me, I don't read Kerouac, Ginsburg or any of the other staples of the "intelligencia excentric" but Atlas Shrugged is making sense.

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I've never read Ayn Rand, but I knew a girl who was a big fan, and she was a self-absorbed pain in the ass. That has kept me away from Ayn Rand because hearing the author's name makes me want to choke that chick.

Oct 10, 2008
Chicago
I would like to read it again to refresh my memory. My sophomore high school teacher had us read that and Fahrenheit 451 back to back. I think he was trying to tell us something. But that was back in 1996 and things weren't so bad then. On the other hand I just finished a book called The Groucho Letters: Letters from and to Groucho Marx. Absolutely brilliant! If anyone liked Letters from a Nut (Seinfeld) you will love The Groucho Letters!

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
I read it a few years back, and still have it on the shelf. I may re-read it this time around, although it is a very challenging book to finish. The John Galt speech alone has to be 50 pages.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I've come to believe that Rand fans (and other extreme libertarians) are stuck in a kind of social immaturity. I was almost one of them. They all tend to be people who were ostracized as children, often because of their special abilities or talents. They see the rest of humanity as dangerous, and reject any ethic that values the group at the expense of the individual. They reject empathy and altruism, even to their own detriment. They latch onto the stark simplicity of Rand-esque philosophies and ignore the complexity of real experience.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Ok, I laughed out loud at that one because, well, you're right. I ran into a zillion of these people too and they really pissed me off.

However this book is being talked about once again by not just those people you reference buy also by much more normal people--such as myself. Trust me, I don't read Kerouac, Ginsburg or any of the other staples of the "intelligencia excentric" but Atlas Shrugged is making sense.

You might want to stick with Kerouac and Ginsburg.

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA

You really think Kerouac was excentric? I never thought so, just a guy who surrounded himself with some real characters, got on big benzedrine kicks and wrote about it.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
This is a rather hot book right now that is really seeing a huge resurgance lately do to our current economic struggles as well as the government bailouts, attitude, etc.

Despite being written over 50 years ago, this book really does mirror what is going on in our culture and how our capitilistic society is fading away.

Now, my question. Who's reading it now? Who's read it? Discuss here?

I know at least one other DRC'er is reading this right now but curious to see if anyone else is.

I'm about 120 pages in.

I have a copy. I need to pick it back up and start reading it again.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
You really think Kerouac was excentric? I never thought so, just a guy who surrounded himself with some real characters, got on big benzedrine kicks and wrote about it.

No, I think Keroac was just not a very good writer. I read "on the road" years ago when I was younger and when that book was supposed to really mean something and I thought it sucked.

Like I said, I can't say anything, really, about Atlas Shrugged yet because I'm only 120 pages into it and the damn thing is 1200 pages long.

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Junky is an awesome book. Naked Lunch?? mmmm... a little too strange.

"Naked Lunch" is my favorite. I just read a collection of Burrough's letters from the 40s through the 50s, and "Interzone", a bunch of stuff that was written around the same time.

Burroughs was a messed up junkie. He killed his wife, abandoned his son, screwed over countless people, etc., etc. But I like him better than Ayn Rand because he didn't write 50 page speeches and he didn't tell other people how to live.

Bandwagon03

Oct 13, 2008
Rural Retreat, VA
Do you have any recordings of Burroughs talking?

I have "The priest they called him" with Nirvana, kind of a spoken word thing he does while the band plays behind him.

I also have Burroughs "singing" Star Me Kitten, with R.E.M.

As you can imagine, its a bit freaky...:p

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
I have a recording of him reading most of "Naked Lunch". I've been tempted to create some kind of super-literal Flash animation of the scenes he's describing, but I would probably go to jail for that.