AT&T Cruise Cast

Discussion in 'SiriusXM Soundwave Cafe' started by limegrass69, Jan 9, 2009.

1. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

It seems that AT&T is getting ready to launch a satellite delivered mobile TV and music service. Looks like it is going to run around $1000 for the hardware. Not sure how much of a market there is for this, but it would blow the Sirius video offering out of the water. That antenna sure is big and ugly.

AT&T CruiseCast

2. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

There's only 20 audio channels on that service, and from what I understand, it's only going to be used on rental cars for now (at $8.95/day).

3. semipenguin

semipenguin Cheeseburger Connoisseur

Sick bastards...:mad:

:)
    Posted via Mobile Device

4. lronglien

lronglien Member

Looks pretty cool

Damn...I'll have to get ANOTHER job...

5. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

I would never use it, even if I was renting a car. Why would I? I would just take my satellite radio with me and rig it up to the rental car.

... and if I really wanted video in the car, I would get one of those special dishes for the car and setup a DirecTV HD tuner in the vehicle.

6. edweird

edweird Member

Since I'm single, and never spend anytime in the backseat of my cars, I can say that I'd never get it.

This is aimed at parents who have kids that need to be entertained in the car.

I can see if you used an RV or boat a lot where this might be cool, but the main market has to be kids in cars.

7. Jleimer

Jleimer Active Member

I highly doubt if this would be a real competitor to satellite radio , but it looks interesting.

8. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

Maybe you need a new girlfriend!!!!! :roflmao:

9. ouch

That was harsh

10. kingchuck69

kingchuck69 Joker! Joker! Joker!

If Sirius goes under, it won't be because of this.

11. Jleimer

Jleimer Active Member

It will be because of piss poor management and Slacker and the Iphone/Ipod Touch.

12. macfanatic010

macfanatic010 Member

even if they offered it to the general consumer, it's not a real competitor to satellite radio. why?
    1) startup costs are insane....$1000 for the equipment that looks big & ugly?!
    1a) with an antenna that huge, self-installation is going to be a hassle. and unlike the satrad antennas, I highly doubt that giant frisbee is going to stay put with a few magnets. and if a person were to get it professionally installed, I can see it costing a few hundred bucks...way too much of an investment IMO.
    2) $30 for TV & Radio in a car is too expensive and the selection is too limited--heck, I can subscribe to basic cable at home for about that much & get more channels than it!
    3) $9/day rental is just too much....even for a roadtrip with a bunch of kids. I'm sure if a family is going on a summer vacation, i'd be cheaper to buy a bunch of Sponge Bob & Hannah Montana DVDs than to rent this piece of crap for a month...

13. limegrass69

limegrass69 Confused

At CES 2009, Audiovox was also pimping an in-vehicle video entertainment system called FLO TV.

I presume that will involve transmission over either mobile data frequencies or Qualcomm's newly acquired UHF spectrum (Channel 55 in the NYC area).

Start up cost is more like $500 for this puppy.

14. This is stupid and redundant ATT

Yeah who wants that Doofy antenna on their roof,whos going to pay that high price?
    Att has a looser -

15. maxoct97

maxoct97 New Member

This has to be a proof of concept kind of thing. Or for a much bigger purpose that we don't see yet. Because I don't see how this is at all a good deal for anyone.

If you want directtv in the car, you just spend about a grand on the car antenna and then bring your own receiver from home and BAM you've got access to your 250+ channels plus the XM channels included. Albiet a little bit more work, but not too much more than this AT&T one.