As of 6:15am EST, Artie doesn't exist...

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I'm not exactly sure what the problem is. If you only want positive things said about Howard, go to sfn. I've heard they delete any thread that isn't a complete ass-kissing of Howard and the gang.

If you want people to talk honestly about the show then you come here where the moderators respect everyones opinion and let's them express it freely without bringing down the iron fist.

Lately, Howard has become somewhat lazy. I have grown disinterested in the show as of late and only get info from this forum to keep up to date, just incase there might be something that does interest me. There are obviously others who share my sentiment but are more vocal about it.

Scionic, if what people are saying angers you so much that you need to make long winded posts bitching about their opinions then it might be in your best interest to avoid this forum completely.

Well said. I like what you're portraying here. +1 for your post.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Good post. Listening to someone self destruct is not my idea of fun.

I was listening when Jackie was around too. I didn't mind when they were busting his balls. That made for great radio. What I did mind was his constant plugs and his constant loud laughs at the unfunny shit he wrote. By the way the last two years Jackie was on he was in self destruct mode. Remember the walking out and constant money talk. He might not have been addicted to drugs like Artie, but he was addicted to something..... bitching and complaining about money. Did anyone listen to History of Howard this time around? Jackie made it all about himself. That my friends is what his problem is.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
And your so sick of the people on this forum, yet you will still be here tomorrow, and the next day, and the next week too. Ironic isn't it....

I'm with hyson. Should have been banned a long time ago.

Not really irony here either. Irony would be if he wants to leave and quit the forum and tries to but due to some computer malfunction, this becomes his homepage.

See what I'm saying??????????

Plus, I like Scionic.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I still like the show... but I'm also critical of it. It's changed a LOT over the last 5 years. I went from never missing a minute to not really caring if I miss most of the week. There's reason behind all the criticism and it's not just blind hatred.

It has changed a lot, but it also changed from 1989 to 1992 to 1996 to 1999 to 2004 to 2006 to today.

1989 - Howard played music.
1992 - Billy West coming into the show. (Listening to the replay and they just played Sal calling about having "an item" and talking about "the item" until the host got sick of "the item" and hung up.) Sal and Billy don't even compare. I'm not badmouthing either of them, but they're just two different styles.
1996 - Let's bring in butt bongo, and the "cream cheese and salami on the girl's butt."
1999 - More cream cheese!
2004 - We can't do ANYTHING because the FCC cracked down, so let's complain about all the old bits that have to be re-edited and can't be played because they're so edited. I am DONE after this contract! Done! But, let's try to talk about jugs?..err fun bags?...err boobies? errr?? What word can we say THIS week?
2006 - Yeah, we know.
Today - Yeah, we know.

Last edited:

GoodDog

Oct 13, 2008
Scientific Map
According to Howard today during the reading of email to the show claiming Beth is an Angel from heaven, he said Artie has not quit the show.

Last edited:

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
It changed a lot.

Today was a good example when Howard played the racist music. Before he would play these songs and we would laugh at how stupid the racists were.

Today he couldn't handle any time the "n" word was said.

It's pathetic. He can't even do satire anymore.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
It changed a lot.

Today was a good example when Howard played the racist music. Before he would play these songs and we would laugh at how stupid the racists were.

Today he couldn't handle any time the "n" word was said.

It's pathetic. He can't even do satire anymore.

1. I agreed with him today. The songs were lousy and just not really funny in the sense of "oh my god, how stupid is this guy."

2. Howard has gotten older and mellowed out.

3. Howard has also been playing this stuff for a long time and is probably tired of it.

4. We've all grown up with the show and probably changed our views and opinions on things too.

I don't mind people critiquing the show. I don't mind people saying the show is different than what it used to be but to say that the show is over because they haven't addressed the Artie situation is just a little much.

I'm in the camp of the people that think they've handled the Artie thing horribly and really I think we need an explanation. however, I'm not going to stop listening, cancel my subs and bash Howard all day.

I thougt the show today was quite amusing and funny.

The same people that compain that Howard is too old and mellow now are the same people that complain when Howard rips apart Jay Leno and bashes him for 30 minutes. I just don't get it.

You want Howard to be mean and fired up and when he gets that way, you all back down and say "come on Howard, enough." Christ, he bashed Chevy Chase for YEARS and everyone loved that fued.

ProperModulation

Green Type of Tube
Oct 11, 2008
California
1. I agreed with him today. The songs were lousy and just not really funny in the sense of "oh my god, how stupid is this guy."

2. Howard has gotten older and mellowed out.

3. Howard has also been playing this stuff for a long time and is probably tired of it.

4. We've all grown up with the show and probably changed our views and opinions on things too.

I don't mind people critiquing the show. I don't mind people saying the show is different than what it used to be but to say that the show is over because they haven't addressed the Artie situation is just a little much.

I'm in the camp of the people that think they've handled the Artie thing horribly and really I think we need an explanation. however, I'm not going to stop listening, cancel my subs and bash Howard all day.

I thougt the show today was quite amusing and funny.

The same people that compain that Howard is too old and mellow now are the same people that complain when Howard rips apart Jay Leno and bashes him for 30 minutes. I just don't get it.

You want Howard to be mean and fired up and when he gets that way, you all back down and say "come on Howard, enough." Christ, he bashed Chevy Chase for YEARS and everyone loved that fued.

great post! I'm all for griping about something you didn't like on the show (after all, anonymously griping is what the internet is really for) but this thread seemed to be a very knee jerk "the show is shit now because he didn't address the Artie issues the way I was expecting...". The show has constantly changed over the years, which is probably why it is still around.

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
According to Howard today during the reading of email to the show claiming Beth is an Angel from heaven, he said Artie has not quit the show.

Well, sort of... he said "Not true... not as far as I know, I mean..." which I think is when he tries to pretend like he is not "Management" and doesn't know exactly what is going on.

If Artie is still a part of the show, why pay tribute to him, and taking that further, why would Tim want to do a WHOLE SHOW as a tribute?

Also, in two days, they've not said "When Artie comes back..." once. That can't be a coincidence. Fred would also not be playing a subtle tribute of his own if all was well.

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
What do you think an Artie special would consist of? They can't air him sleeping on the job because it's drug related, they can't air a lot of his made-up stories of his past, because they're drug related, they can't air Artie's 2 most-famous moments of trying to maim Sal and Teddy, because they're drug related.

I have a feeling it'll never materialize, I don't see any of them working too hard to get it ready, but I could be wrong, of course.

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
I think it'll be just Artie's best moments that don't include going through withdrawals on the air or Artie lashing out at people.

It'll be something like Artie telling that hooker story or the pig suit story.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
So can we all get back to getting along here? No more calling each other assholes and such???? I like this forum because we all usually respect each others point of view. People on SFN call each other assholes. Thats why I don't go there and post.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
What do you think an Artie special would consist of? They can't air him sleeping on the job because it's drug related, they can't air a lot of his made-up stories of his past, because they're drug related, they can't air Artie's 2 most-famous moments of trying to maim Sal and Teddy, because they're drug related.

I have a feeling it'll never materialize, I don't see any of them working too hard to get it ready, but I could be wrong, of course.

Too bad. The pig story (true or not) is hilarious, but it involves drugs.

jef

Power Pig, Hello!
Oct 12, 2008
It'll be something like Artie telling that hooker story or the pig suit story.

4 hours of Blue Iris, Jeff the Drunk and the Guy Who Laughs at Everything clips! Oh, and the Redneck Guy from back in the day. C'mere, youuuuuuu!

Anyhow, one thing people aren't really considering is that maybe Howard knows what happend (despite claiming otherwise) and doesn't really feel comfortable talking about it. He may have some things to work out in his own head on how he wants to deal with it, so for now, you get what you got. The guy is in therapy after all, so he's not the most stable of individuals as it is. So until anyone knows what happened, he may have a problem talking about it. And maybe it's bad enough that it's messing with his head.

Dunno - just tossing that out there. Howard has never really been 100% honest so who knows.

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
Of course Howard knows what happened. If Artie did try to kill himself there's no way in hell he'd mention it on air without Artie there.

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
I don't doubt there are legal and moral issues at play, and definitely, Howard shouldn't get into Artie's situation as it pertains to those, but he should update what Artie's status is as it relates to the show for the remainder of the contract. Think of it this way, if one of Fred, Robin, or Benjy stopped appearing on the show, there would be some sort of statement. Right now Howard is acting like it's the end of 2009 when Artie was going to take the week off.

I did manage to think of what they could air as a part of an Artie special that would please his fans and isn't drug-related:

- Biggie Smalls impression - Gimme The Loot, Gimme The Loot, etc.
- Reciting scenes from The Godfather
- Norm MacDonald appearances where they discuss filming Dirty Work
- Man Cave construction
- "Coming Out" to George Takei