Artie's lack of sports knowledge

sjb4

Oct 12, 2008
I know this has been brought up numerous times in the past, but when Artie was discussing the World Series today he sounded like a complete moron.

First, he thought Chase Utley only had 4 HR's, saying the both Reggie Jackson and Babe Ruth hold the record with 5 in a single series. Wrong - only Jackson has 5 and now Utley does as well.

Then, he said Burnett pitched well last night. 6 runs in 2+ innings isn't good by any measure. He pitched fine in his previous start in game 2.

Next, he mispronunces the last name of the Yankees bigtime free agent first baseman, Mark Teixeira. Its not "Tex - era", its "Tesh-era"

Lastly, he said the Burnett brought catcher Jose Molina with him to NY this year. Molina was on the team last year.

I'm a Mets fan, and I'm more aware of the names and actions of players on Arties's so-called favorite team than he is. At least Fred knows what he's talking about.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Wow. He should get fired.

Yup, that and he's a drug addict.

No matter what, he knows, by and large, more than anyone else on that show (maybe excluding Gary and John Heimey).

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
he did sound pretty bad. Maybe he used to know a lot, and is recently loosing his sports memories, but is trying to hold onto "ask artie, he knows everything about sports". Who knows

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
At least Fred knows what he's talking about.

Even Fred doesn't seem to know what's going on. Didn't he also think Jose Molina was brought in along with Burnett?

Artie is definitely a "casual fan", no matter what he'd like to believe. I cringe a lot when they talk sports.

I thought the discussion with Will was interesting. Particularly the part when he mentioned Jose Lima cussed him out at a game...that made me laugh pretty good.

Oh yeah...and they kept saying that having a specific catcher to pitch to is just a superstition. Fred went along with it too. Of course, that's obviously not the case :rolleyes:

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
Howard knows the least. He thought Burnett doesn't like Posada because of superstitions. Then he also obsessed on knowing how the runs were scored and all that.

Chrissyb

Oct 14, 2008
Massachusetts
I heard that and thought the way Howard dismissed him was funny..

also, Artie retold a story, changing the events and Howard call him out on that.. that was perfect.

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
The story sounded really made up but I never heard Artie tell it. I thought Howard was confusing it with the story of Artie playing basketball with the black guys.

Anyway who cares. It's comedy and even Artie has admitted some stories are fake like the one of him and his dad and Yankee stadium and his father throwing him into the field.

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Even Fred doesn't seem to know what's going on. Didn't he also think Jose Molina was brought in along with Burnett?

Artie is definitely a "casual fan", no matter what he'd like to believe. I cringe a lot when they talk sports.

I thought the discussion with Will was interesting. Particularly the part when he mentioned Jose Lima cussed him out at a game...that made me laugh pretty good.

Oh yeah...and they kept saying that having a specific catcher to pitch to is just a superstition. Fred went along with it too. Of course, that's obviously not the case :rolleyes:

Kimmel is a prophet. He knows of what he speaks when he speaks of the Stern Show. People in the studio just go along with whatever Fred says, they take it as the gospel. He's wrong enough on trivia for me to suspect that he cheats during the Win Fred's Money segments. He's smart, but methinks he fudges with the contests, especially the Mike Walker game.

thekingofnicotine

Aug 14, 2009
Didn't Fred go off about Kimmel the other day? Meanwhile Kimmel was completely right.

It went back to Howard's wedding. Sarah Silverman said that Al Rosenberg was talking a lot. Fred was saying it wasn't true and everyone believe his bullshit.

sjb4

Oct 12, 2008

You are right about Fred going along with the catcher superstition thing, but he knew Moilna wasn't a package deal w/ Burnett. He did make some other valid points along the way. Moreso than superfan Artie at least.

Given how the game is going right now, does Artie make it to work tomorrow? Or will he be"sick" again?

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
I wonder if Artie knows what the Yankees old nickname was (the Highlanders)? I say MAYBE.

I also wonder if he knows they were originally the Baltimore Orioles. No way, right?

Ifandorbut

Oct 12, 2008
Didn't Fred go off about Kimmel the other day? Meanwhile Kimmel was completely right.

It went back to Howard's wedding. Sarah Silverman said that Al Rosenberg was talking a lot. Fred was saying it wasn't true and everyone believe his bullshit.

Yeah, that was what I was referring to, I'm way behind on my shows. I think that show was from very early in October.

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
Artie would be so much better of either saying "I'm not sure" or "I don't know" occasionally, instead of embarrassing himself with his so-called Yankee knowledge. Literally, even casual fans know more than that in many cases, he's got to stop acting like a superfan.

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
Artie still thinks TO is amazing. I wonder if he actually watches sports or just regurgitates what he hears his friends say.

AJ_II

Oct 13, 2008
Houston, TX
In all fairness to TO, he has a guy from Harvard throwing him the ball this season. Harvard is good for a lot of things, but NFL QB's isn't one of them.

TO has definitely lost a step though.