Artie on TWUS

Discussion in 'Howard Stern' started by Forevernever, Dec 8, 2008.

1. Forevernever

Forevernever Active Member

"I get paid to be funny, not to be analyzed". Actually, these days he IS getting paid to be analyzed. He's not spending a lot of time being funny, just lying and taking days off. The schtick is tired; I'd rather spend my time laughing than watching a train wreck. Time to get back to the funny; lets get some new talent in that chair. Its good to see that some on the show (Robin, Gary) are starting to catch-on to this guy's scam.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  2. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

I dunno - he makes me laugh plenty. Despite the dysfunctional nature of his life, I don't feel that I'm getting less of a show because of it.

3. Snoozer

Snoozer Well-Known Member

I enjoy Artie on the show and think he's funny.

4. Forevernever

While I disagree, I thank you for taking the time to reply to my post.

5. k9feces

k9feces Member

The show makes him lie

6. DoublEE

DoublEE Active Member

Artie no longer produces comedy...his sad pathetic life produces the comedy. It's no different than Rev. Bob failing as a comedian so he has to box John Wayne Bobbit.

Artie's in some deep denial. He stills contends he's not a liar? The guy's living a complete lie. The only way Artie will ever be cured is when he finally gets his wish and his lifestyle finally kills him. Meanwhile, he can all laugh it up at the funny man. :rolleyes:

7. DoublEE

DoublEE Active Member

This bit never gets old.:rolleyes:

8. Neigh

Neigh Well-Known Member

Actually Artie is still razor sharp throwing in quips and commentaries during Howard's proclamations, the group riffs and Robin's news ... Nobody can match him in speed and volume for making funny comparisons with or allusions to nearly forgotton persons, things and events. I am almost as addicted to his quipping as I am to Howard's daily riffs.

9. DoublEE

DoublEE Active Member

You mean when Artie actually bothers to show up for work. ;)

10. mulls

mulls New Member

I thought Jackie's dysfunctional life was more interesting than Arties - 5 houses, drinking Heineken on his "jetty," his wife and her screwy music and acting career and how he had to support the whole band, smoking pot and writing all those goofy songs and selling all that branded junk on Jokeland.com...Timmy the cat...

AND making it in to work, every freaking day. F Jackie!

11. hank-the-dwarf

hank-the-dwarf Well-Known Member

And is awake in the studio.

12. jamesp717

jamesp717 Member

Hey Now

Loud and clear, I hear you loud and clear.

It amazes me that they put up with arites shit and run Jackie into the grounf for a lot less.

Did I mention I think Jackie was way funnier, I think Jackie is way funnier. :crazy:

13. jamesp717

jamesp717 Member

Hey Now

And cupcakes make him eat them.

artie blurred the line, everything is a bit for the show. Their is no reality in arties life, its all a bit. The fat man is always on, :wah: poor poor fat man.

14. Fergz99

Fergz99 Member

Jackie was much better.

I think Artie is taking his lead from the top. Howard's work ethic is terrible now and it's rubbing off on the rest of the show.

15. Forevernever

I actually think the quality of his comedy has really declined. If he was funny, I wouldn't care about what he did off air, or that he didn't show for work every once and a while. Its that he isn't very clever anymore that bugs me. He's a one-trick pony at this point, and the trick is really, really worn-out.

16. jef

jef Power Pig, Hello!

I disagree that Jackie was better. You really can't compare the two since their styles and sensibilities are so completely different. I don't dislike the Jackie era, but I don't pine for it, either. Artie is certainly fucked up, but he still makes me laugh.

17. Ifandorbut

Ifandorbut Well-Known Member

This thread is derailing, but as it is going off of the tracks I would also like to add my my spin. I don't think that Jackie was necessarily funnier than Artie, but rather Howard was funnier with Jackie writing ad-libs for Howard than the many extras that have carried on to replace him.

Artie was lucky and had tremendous timing. Howard needed a funny person and the look to replace Jackie was becoming an exhaustive exercise. Maybe Artie was the clear cut favorite, or maybe Howard was tired of looking? In any case, it was Artie. Artie didn't make Howard funnier, he did eventually become the one of the funniest aspects of the show. In my opinion that didn't happen until the gang broadcasters started at Sirius.

Jackie made Howard very funny.

Artie wasn't a pain to Howard at contract time.

Eh...it's all about personal choice. I like the show better during Jackie's years.

18. Fergz99

Fergz99 Member

19. DoublEE

DoublEE Active Member

I agree 100%. Artie's addiction's have completely stunted his career. He tells the same stories on his apperances, same old jokes. The only success he has had lately is from cashing in on his pathetic life story.

20. Neigh

Neigh Well-Known Member

The funniest thing about Jackie was his role as Howard and Robin's punching bag. They knocked him down mercilessly for his contracts demands, his ambitions, merchandising, plugging, his wife and his lame attempts at comedy. When he did straight comedy, he was unfunny (lowest common denominator jokes and stories) and irritating because he laughed at his own material continuously. Artie is several times brighter that Jackie. As for Jackie making Howard funny, I would like know how. The funniest things Howard did during the Jackie era were too quick to be anything other than spontaneous. It takes time to write a comment on a slip of paper and give it to Howard. I love it that Fred had to run his jokes by Jackie who passed judgment on them, if I recall.