Arizona Monsoon Storms

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
any idea how apart those before and after highway pics were? its crazy how the after pics make it look like almost nothing happened at all.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
any idea how apart those before and after highway pics were? its crazy how the after pics make it look like almost nothing happened at all.

I posted the first pic at 7:18 and the after around 10:30, so less than 3 hours the waters went away.

AZDude

Oct 18, 2008
Mesa, AZ
The rainfall today was apperently record breaking. According to some news stations, Phoenix has never experienced this much rain in one day since records have been kept.

My commute, which normally takes about 20 minutes, took about 45. One thing that did surprise me were the other drivers out there. They were actually very careful and curtious!

Some of my coworkers were nearly three hours late!

Reactions: JHDK and Wolf

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I walked across a very shallow (about 18-24"), fairly slow moving creek at work the other day and was reminded of the power of moving water. I'm always surprised by how many people try to drive through murky water whose depth and velocity they can't judge.

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
i hear ya casual. when i was in high school my friends and i found this street where there was a creek that flowed through the middle of it. u would actually drive through the creek to get to the other end of the road. we all but especially me fell in love with it. beside going there like every time we wanted to get high we also loved going there every time it rained to see how much the water would rise. sometime it would be like triple normal levels. there was this one time that we actually got of of school early due to flooding so like the dumbass high schoolers we were our first stop was right there. i was in a bonneville so i didnt cross cause it was like a river but we all piled into my friends jeep and it was super fun going through.

haha ur post made me remember that. good stuff.

Reactions: Casual Fan

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Great more rain tonight, I guess there will be more floods tomorrow morning?

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
:oops:

turnarounddontdrown.jpg

semipenguin

Cheeseburger Connoisseur
Oct 11, 2008
Janesville, MN
I grew up in a the town of Littlerock, CA. When it rained, it didn't take long for dry creek beds to fill up with water. Roadways that ran parallel to the mountains would become covered with water.

One time I came up on one of those water covered roads, while driving to a friends house.

I slowed down to a reasonable speed and proceeded to drive across. A pick up coming from the other direction was going much slower.

I was in a Kia Sportage. I was having fun watching the water spray up from both sides of my car.

I'm such a kid :)

As we came towards each other, I noticed the other driver had his window rolled down. I can still remember the look on the guys face as we passed, and water began to cover the hood of his pick up :eek:

Needless to say, he didn't seem too happy as water began pouring into the cab of his pick up. I looked in my rear view mirror & saw him shaking his fist at me as I continued to make my way on dry road, and continue on my drive :oops:

Last edited:

memebag

Top Brass, ADVP
Oct 11, 2008
Lake Huntzing
Flooded streets are a fact of life in Houston. If you aren't sure you can make it, find high ground to ride it out. Memegirl and I spent 2 or 3 hours at the McDonalds a mile from our house waiting for the roads to clear one afternoon.

Reactions: semipenguin

Casual Fan

Surprisingly nice
Oct 14, 2008
Roanoke, VA
I continued to make my way on drug road

Ah, driving while high. I see.

Memegirl and I spent 2 or 3 hours at the McDonalds a mile from our house waiting for the roads to clear one afternoon.

The flooding was across town. They just wanted to go to McDonalds.

In Virginia, we have a state-mandated floodwater reduction program (I think the EPA initiated it) to reduce runoff and thus pollution going into rivers and streams and ultimately the Chesapeake Bay and the ocean. In my city we have a tax on impervious surfaces (which increase runoff and flooding). We also have a tax credit if you have things like rain barrels that reduce runoff.

Stormwater

Reactions: semipenguin

JHDK

Release Robin's Bra
Oct 11, 2008
Hyrule
haha check it out i found the road i was talking about in my previous post:

Google Maps

that brings back a lot of good memories. look how beautiful it is too. ive still never seen anything like it. best road ever.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
I was in Chicago near O'hare trying to get some guys to the airport when the streets got flooded. I went through several intersections that were in low areas and there were cars floating in them, stalled. I had an SUV and it felt like I was floating in a few of the intersections but made it through.

blyons200

These pretzels are making me thirsty.
Oct 12, 2008
The BBQ Capital
Great more rain tonight, I guess there will be more floods tomorrow morning?
Living in Arizona I don't think I would complain about rain, you need all you can get. Looks like Wendsday and Thursday you're getting more.

I have a lot of family and friends that farm out in western Kansas and Nebraska and they never complain about rain, unless they aren't getting any. This year was a good, wet year though, pretty much everywhere east of the Rockies.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Living in Arizona I don't think I would complain about rain, you need all you can get. Looks like Wendsday and Thursday you're getting more.

I have a lot of family and friends that farm out in western Kansas and Nebraska and they never complain about rain, unless they aren't getting any. This year was a good, wet year though, pretty much everywhere east of the Rockies.

I don't complain about the rain, sometimes we need it. But were not in a drought like Vegas is. The storm is pretty much here and on top of that, another hurricane is brewing next to Mexico.

Wolf

Oct 11, 2008
Phoenix
Another Round of monsoon storms hit Phoenix and another freeway turned into a lake again.

Capture.jpg