Are there any callers that aren't planted??

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Anyone that listens to talk radio knows what most callers sound like - retarded. EVERY Stern caller these days has a very clear point to make and it just happens to be one that Howard is perfectly prepared to segway into.

I'm assuming that they're all planted callers because 95% of calls coming in are people bitching about the fridays off and constant vacation. It's really sad because insane callers were often the best/most classic pieces of the show.

robhurlburt

Oct 15, 2008
well...all the apologists say they aren't, but its pretty obvious they are. I don't think that they are "planted" in the sense that Howard works with these people, but the callers know what howard will pick up on. It says right in front of him what the callers want to talk about.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
well...all the apologists say they aren't, but its pretty obvious they are. I don't think that they are "planted" in the sense that Howard works with these people, but the callers know what howard will pick up on. It says right in front of him what the callers want to talk about.

I've been listening to Stern since 1987 or so. The callers now are TOTALLY different that at any time in the past.

limegrass69

Confused
Oct 12, 2008
New York
It's more or less the same roster of callers day after day. Howard takes the path of least resistance by picking up callers that he knows. Those callers tend to get to the point and keep things moving.

In his defense, it's considered "better radio" to pick up calls that are relevant to the topic Howard is discussing (or is prepared to discuss or wants to plug). On the other hand, one of the better aspects of Howard's older shows was the unpredictable nature of the calls.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Anyone that listens to talk radio knows what most callers sound like - retarded. EVERY Stern caller these days has a very clear point to make and it just happens to be one that Howard is perfectly prepared to segway into.

I'm assuming that they're all planted callers because 95% of calls coming in are people bitching about the fridays off and constant vacation. It's really sad because insane callers were often the best/most classic pieces of the show.

You may be on to something there. Howard will not pick up any calls about Fridays and his vacation time. I know on the Stern fan round table. Jason makes sure that Mutt either changes the subject or moves along quick when Howards schedule comes up.

I don't care about his vacations and Fridays off anymore. It's been years and years now. I do love it when a caller brings it up because it throws Howard off of his game for a little bit.

Last edited:

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I think a lot of it is the technology. Back in the 80's and 90's, did Howard have the screen that told him what callers wanted to talk about? I guess once computers could be networked together, they could have used an IM technology, but that wouldn't have been around until about 95 or 96 or so (i'm guessing.)

I don't think they're calling from within the studio, or are paid, or anything like that. However, it is no secret that Howard won't pick up on the negative calls, and really, who would?

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
I do wish people would get off the vacations and Fridays thing. It's getting old. Most people in the entertainment business take way more time off than he does, and don't work nearly as much.

As for the callers, they are terrible. If I hear that idiot bobo ask one more asinine question about sex with "the lovely beth o" I'm gonna hang myself. In Howard's defense, on the rare occasion he does pick up on and unusual caller, they babble like idiots on an awful phone connection. I guess unless your a wack packer you don't have 4 hours a day to wait on hold.

Ehilbert1

Ooh-Rah!!!!
Oct 13, 2008
Columbus, OH
Truth be told when Hank was here and made those calle a lot of people jumped on his ass. I thought it was funny and different. I'm also sick of all the same bullshit. If you call in about Howard TV then your golden. Atleast Hank got Howard out of his comfort zone for a couple of minutes.

no1headberg is right...... Lets please let it go about Fridays and vacation time. It is what is is. It sucks, but what can you do? I still would love to hear a few callers call in and call Howard out on it.

Last edited:

no1hedberg

Oct 13, 2008
West Virginia
no1headberg is right...... Lets please let it go about Fridays and vacation time. It is what is is. It sucks, but what can you do? I still would love to hear a few callers call in and all Howard out on it.

Thanks man. I don't care if people bust Howard's balls. I just want to hear someone besides bobo, cyrus, dipshit whatever his name that calls in and calls him "hook nosed jew bastard" then tongues his balls for as long as he can stay on the line. It just gets sickening. I hate to say this, but I wish that douche bag Ralph would call in more. The great thing about Ralph is...he knows some shit Howard doesn't want anybody to know. Now that can make Howard squirm.

What the show really needs is a good fuck up from Gary or Ronnie. I could listen to Howard tear Ronnie's ass about the heat is his car forever. And nothing is better than a good BaBa Booey beat down.

v1ru5

Oct 24, 2008
Harrisburg PA.
I don't know, they're on hold for so long IF they get on they are so surprised that any intelligent thought they might have had is lost and the only thing left to say is something stupid.

beaniemac

Dec 12, 2008
Chi-Town (South Side)
all i know is first call today is good ol' john boy asking about some obscure photo shoot beth did in an online magazine that no one has ever heard of.....

IronJabroni

Oct 13, 2008
all i know is first call today is good ol' john boy asking about some obscure photo shoot beth did in an online magazine that no one has ever heard of.....

see bmf post above, the first call today was the direct opposite of the likes of john boy

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I don't know, they're on hold for so long IF they get on they are so surprised that any intelligent thought they might have had is lost and the only thing left to say is something stupid.

It seems like there's a few "types" of callers:

1) Kissing ass over Beth, HowardTV, etc.
2) Random callers: "Hey, did Howard see that mention of him on TV last night?" or the "I'd like to request a bit for Fred to play."
3) Callers that want to call in during a special guest.

Obviously, the wack packers and the first set will go right on within a few minutes. The second set have a very small chance of going on. It's been said that Howard has a screen with all the calls prioritized in a list. Set two goes right at the bottom, i'm sure.

The third set might have a chance, if the timing is right.

Obviously, the trick is to call in right as the number goes up on the PDT, right before 6 AM ET.

But yeah, I bet that most of the callers forget their point, or are star-struck. After a while, Howard has "learned" to rely on the ones he knows he can trust. It would actually work out a LOT better if people would write down their points before they call. That way, if they're on hold for 45 minutes, they have a list right in front of their face.

Spokker

Jan 15, 2009
It has been proven that some of the wacky callers were plants such as the Electrical Eel Man who used to call in as various outrageous characters.