Aquiring Signal ....

IdRatherBeSkiing

Sherbet is NOT and NEVER WILL BE ice cream.
Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I had thought I understood this message. In the past when it comes up, the SATs are not in the correct position for my antenna. The signal bar in these cases show 1 or 0 bars. Moving the antenna slightly would correct the issue. Seemed to happen about twice a year. And the Aquiring Signal message was across all channels.

Lately, I am getting consistantly 2 bars of reception. All channels come in clear with no Aquiring Signal message except for channel 33 (The Bridge). This channel drops out frequently on my SL2. Yesterday I happened to be looking at my SL2 the exact time I got a dropout. I saw the screen flash "Aquiring Signal". I had 2 bars reception. 10 minutes earlier on ClassicRewind I had listened for about 2 hours with no dropouts. Why would my selection of channel afect the SL2's ability to aquire a Sirius SAT signal?

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
It's God trying to tell you that you shouldn't listen to crappy music.:p

*buys a Slacker unit*
*realizes I have to pay to avoid commericals*
*drives over it with a truck because the included headphones keep falling off my head*
*realizes how stupid that was*
*buys another Slacker unit*
*drives over it with a truck when there's no talk or sports on there*

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
I have been noticing changes as well, but I am betting it's all those leaves back on the trees. But, I am getting drop outs in other places that I have not before now too.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Hopefully the launch of the geostationary Sat will help? But it may not be a sat issue at all, just a tech glitch.

I used to have acquiring signal issues on 197 the virus through my best of XM package, but, since the show started broadcasting from Sirius's studios, I have not had this problem.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Hopefully the launch of the geostationary Sat will help? But it may not be a sat issue at all, just a tech glitch.

I used to have acquiring signal issues on 197 the virus through my best of XM package, but, since the show started broadcasting from Sirius's studios, I have not had this problem.

Its not a sat signal. As I mentioned I have dropout free music on every other channel I listen to except The Bridge.

Also, a geo-stationary sat will not help me as I have no South facing window. If they turn off one of their other sats, it will hurt me not help.

sportboy

Dec 18, 2008
I'm the opposite. I have a south facing window but no north facing window. I've had XM since 2002, have never moved the antenna one time and have never lost the signal one time.

Have Sirius as well but only in my car. Thinking of selling my car and transferring my lifetime to a Stiletto but would most likely have to use the wifi feature almost all the time.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
I'm the opposite. I have a south facing window but no north facing window. I've had XM since 2002, have never moved the antenna one time and have never lost the signal one time.

Have Sirius as well but only in my car. Thinking of selling my car and transferring my lifetime to a Stiletto but would most likely have to use the wifi feature almost all the time.

I have no XM signal but a good XM repeater nearby. Sirius has no repeater coverage where I am.

Kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
I have been noticing changes as well, but I am betting it's all those leaves back on the trees. But, I am getting drop outs in other places that I have not before now too.

I'm hoping that some of this stuff will allow me to listen without antenna headphones.

Maybe the leaves ARE messing my reception without an antenna up.

m75_tech

Dec 22, 2008
Cleveland
Lately, I am getting consistantly 2 bars of reception. All channels come in clear with no Aquiring Signal message except for channel 33 (The Bridge). This channel drops out frequently on my SL2. Yesterday I happened to be looking at my SL2 the exact time I got a dropout. I saw the screen flash "Aquiring Signal". I had 2 bars reception. 10 minutes earlier on ClassicRewind I had listened for about 2 hours with no dropouts. Why would my selection of channel afect the SL2's ability to aquire a Sirius SAT signal?

I'm seeing this A LOT today on H100/H101 on my Starmate ST2. Same symptoms, two signal bars (which is about normal for my radio) and suddenly "Acquiring Signal". This was discussed previously on the old SBS forums and it's the exact same thing. I don't believe this has anything to do with reception. Sirius seems to be playing with signals on certain radios.

All I know is that I'm about sick of it.

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
I've been "acquiring signal" for the past 2 hours on my Sportsters 4. Sheesh.

devicemanager

Oct 21, 2008
Me too, thankfully all of the reinforces the fact that it is not our equipment. I have been out in the open, no tree cover even remotely close and I have the same symptoms. 2 bars and choppyy or acquiring signal displays. This started for me yesterday on my 5pm drive home.

co_radio

Jun 11, 2009
Me too, thankfully all of the reinforces the fact that it is not our equipment. I have been out in the open, no tree cover even remotely close and I have the same symptoms. 2 bars and choppyy or acquiring signal displays. This started for me yesterday on my 5pm drive home.

Same with me glad it's not just me or my equipment, happening on two different systems. They are screwing with the satellites or their guide software, more likely the guide stuff. Started on Saturday for me now it is consistently 2 bars with drops outs on occasion... STOP screwing with it Sirius!!!!!!!!!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Oct 11, 2008
Toronto, ON
Last night was horrible, I could not get a good signal. Seemed better this morning.

This is the way of the future once they get that new SAT in the sky. All of us depending on the N facing windows will likely lose one of the 2 sats which are supposed to be visible in the sky.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
I'm having the opposite effect with my SL100. I get one bar with ear buds while holding the receiver upright and two feet away from my body and two bars if I extend it an arm's length. Listened to live radio while walking the dog this evening. My arm does tend to get tired after 30 minutes or so. I don't know if cloudless skies or hotter weather improves reception, but I'm lovin' it.