Aquariums.

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
Any of you big aquarium buffs? I'm thinking about getting one but have no clue where to even start. A few questions:

1) Salt water or fresh, which is best for a beginner?
2) Is it stupid to look at bigger tanks initially?
3) Good websites to learn how to do all this?

I've found services that will take care of your tank, but it's looking around $300/month plus supplies. That seems a little steep to me.

Something like this would be kind of my ideal:

CustomerTankTall2.jpg

Aaron

Oct 10, 2008
South Louisiana
My parents had a nice salt-water aquarium (60 gallon) when I was a kid. I seem to remember that you can get prettier fish with a salt-water tank, but it's a bit more pricey and more upkeep.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
Please don't do it. I'm serious.

Been there...

Any of you big aquarium buffs? I'm thinking about getting one but have no clue where to even start. A few questions:

1) Salt water or fresh, which is best for a beginner?
2) Is it stupid to look at bigger tanks initially?
3) Good websites to learn how to do all this?

I've found services that will take care of your tank, but it's looking around $300/month plus supplies. That seems a little steep to me.

Something like this would be kind of my ideal:

CustomerTankTall2.jpg

hyson

Forum Jerk
Oct 19, 2008
Does your new apt allow aquariums?

Sheeze, I know my home owners policy would skyrocket!

Biaviian

Nov 17, 2008
For an aquarium? That's freaking nuts! What would they say about my pet alligator?

JoeTan

Oct 14, 2008
I have a 100gal and have had fish for years making babies and what not. Do not get a tank if you plan on having someone take care of it. Defeats the purpose.

remember you'll need roughly 1gallon of water for every square inch of fish and for the filter, they are rated at GPH (gallons per hour) and you want triple GPH for the amount of water you have. MORE IS BETTER! I got 3 filters (2 hanging and one canister for about 850PGH) cause I had about 35 fish at one time and I was cleaning the filters every 5days and it still wasn't enough.

(35 fish was fine when they were little but they all grew up)

Now I just have 5 and I never need to do water changes, or clean the filters cause there is so much water they don't ever dirty it. Also the more water you have the less temperature change there is.

Remember it's going to weigh about 8lbs for every gallon of water too.

sgip2000

Oct 16, 2008
Hillsboro, OR
I have had both types so I'll give you my opinion.

Fresh water is easier to maintain and can have a wider acceptable PH range.

Salt water is definately better to look at but requires a constant monitor of the salt content and a more percise PH level.

Oren

Oct 13, 2008
NE NJ
I'm mostly interested in the coral. The colors at night are awesome.

I have to intervene again...

You better STOP and cut the SH1T!!!

BMF, if you're serious about this you have NO IDEA of what you're in for. READ!!!

You have to (try to) recreate these very unusual living conditions.. that's what you HAVE to do. It's expensive, and it's HIGH MAINTENANCE.

I don't know... if you want color, get a blacklight or something!!

Trust me. It's too much. What you're talking about is something that you need to be devoted to, otherwise, you're a coral killer! :p

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
I have to intervene again...

You better STOP and cut the SH1T!!!

BMF, if you're serious about this you have NO IDEA of what you're in for. READ!!!

You have to (try to) recreate these very unusual living conditions.. that's what you HAVE to do. It's expensive, and it's HIGH MAINTENANCE.

I don't know... if you want color, get a blacklight or something!!

Trust me. It's too much. What you're talking about is something that you need to be devoted to, otherwise, you're a coral killer! :p

Biggest concern I have is that I have to leave town for field exercises quite a bit. That would be a problem, which is why I was looking into hiring a service to take care of it.