Apple Moves to Conquer Its Next Frontier

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
The Holy Grail of consumer electronics is still a smashing success in the video game industry. Tens and tens of millions of Sony (NYSE:SNE) PS2s and PS3s were sold over the last decade. Microsoft (NASDAQ:MSFT) has turned its game console business into a real success. Nintendo has become the darling of the Japanese consumer electronics market because of huge sales of its portable DS and Wii consoles.

Apple (NASDAQ:AAPL) has done remarkably well in the computer, handset, and multimedia player sectors of electronics, but its has little or no place in the gaming industry.

Steve Jobs means to upgrade his status in the video game field. According to The Wall Street Journal, “Apple has made clear that it intends to go after Nintendo’s turf.†Among the Big Three members of the game industry, Nintendo is by far the most successful. The company is expected to sell 30 million of its DS units this year.

Analysts expect Apple to be succesful as it moves rapidly into video games. Research firm DFC predicts that revenue from Apple game sales will rise from $46 million in 2008 to more than $2.8 billion in 2014. The forecast for 2014 seems improbably high. And, forecasts of consumer electronics activity five years from now are bound to be little more than guesses.

Apple (AAPL) Moves To Conquer Its Next Frontier – 24/7 Wall St.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I don't know about conquer, but they will certainly end up being a player in this gaming sector for small portable devices.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
They could remove the phone and media player functions and just sell it as the iGame.

For a hefty premium of course... :p

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
I don't know about conquer, but they will certainly end up being a player in this gaming sector for small portable devices.
Needs more buttons in my opinion. :jj:

What I'm hoping this means is that they focus on getting more of the games available on Windows on OS X without coming out years later.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com
Great a new hand held or console that will cost about $200 more than any other unit. Isn't that call a premium? ;)
If they really want to follow the Nintendo business model, they'll make it cheap and make money off appealing to younger and older gamers and not concern themselves with Sony and Microsoft.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
If they really want to follow the Nintendo business model, they'll make it cheap and make money off appealing to younger and older gamers and not concern themselves with Sony and Microsoft.
The words 'cheap' and 'apple' do not belong in the same paragraph with one another.

matter and antimatter cannot exist at the same space and time.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
Why am I so against Apple and just wish for their demise?

It's just the kind of guy I am--It's like when you find out that your favorite book is being turned into a movie and then every idiot is walking around with the copy of the book and it just gets you mad because you were into it way before bored housewives in Iowa were. I still remember the dread I felt when I learned that Fight Club, a book I had read the first year it came out, was being turned into the movie. I just knew it woudl get out of hand. However, I will say that Fight Club is probably my favorite film of all time.

I don't know, I just feel that Apple is so "trendy" that it has become almost UNhip to have anything Apple. Like, by trying to seperate yourself from the masses, you've gone and joined up with the OTHER masses.

Go ahead, slam me for this, I really don't care. it is just the way I'm wired.

Chob

Oct 11, 2008
Albany, NY
www.kingbubba.com

It's just the kind of guy I am--It's like when you find out that your favorite book is being turned into a movie and then every idiot is walking around with the copy of the book and it just gets you mad because you were into it way before bored housewives in Iowa were. I still remember the dread I felt when I learned that Fight Club, a book I had read the first year it came out, was being turned into the movie. I just knew it woudl get out of hand. However, I will say that Fight Club is probably my favorite film of all time.

I don't know, I just feel that Apple is so "trendy" that it has become almost UNhip to have anything Apple. Like, by trying to seperate yourself from the masses, you've gone and joined up with the OTHER masses.

I was expecting this. I knew people here would have plenty to say, that's why I posted it. :D

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Needs more buttons in my opinion. :jj:

What I'm hoping this means is that they focus on getting more of the games available on Windows on OS X without coming out years later.

I doubt we'll see any buttons are an actual separate console. I think their plan is to continue to compete using the iPhone and iPod Touch. I've been surprised at how many people I know that use these darn things for games already. The challenge is using the device itself as the button or steering mechanism.

I don't suspect you'll ever see a stand along cheap device from Apple, I think their plan is more along the lines of continuing the push the iPod Touch as a gaming device and right now they have a crap load of folks writing gaming software already.

You know I don't really understand someone being wired to hate a company so much it just makes no sense to me. Why would anyone be so bothered by one company or another? I don't know maybe I got too many other avenues in my life to be concerned about what one company does. I would never wish the demise of any American Company because rather I like Steve Jobs and company, Apple employes a lot of people just like you and me, not to mention the food chain that it supports in retail sales etc.

Apple is trendy, but not everyone that owns Apple products go out and buy them to be trendy, that is just BS. I honestly think your wires are crossed because it just shows this is more about principle than reality and most of which is just your perception. I can't tell you how many people I know that have Apple products and most could care less about being trendy or even cutting edge. Its nonsense! You've allowed a select few overly zealous Apple fans and/or Apple marketing machine mold your opinion.

Its sort of like the real promiscuous sect of gays that go out and screw anyone they can get their hands on and they are all flaming and have to wear the T-shirts proclaiming they are queer and here. This is how society views the gay society and yet in reality there are those you likely work with and have known most of your life that may live that lifestyle and you'd never know it because the fact is not all gays are like that. So a select few that act outrageous shapes the opinions of the masses.

I am just glad I am not built or wired that way to judge people based on the toys they like or the way they act in representing a certain sect of our society. It mean spirited and totally unnecessary to buy into. I understand you are speaking about Apple, but the fact is that is the way many of you act toward those that buy their products too.

There are many aspects of Apple the company that I like and yet many that I do not like. I can say that about most companies, but I never get to that place where I spend enough time thinking about to hate in such a way. I wish sometimes Apple did things differently, but they are the way they are and because people buy their products doesn't mean they believe or even agree with everything and every decision they make as a company. I don't know anyone on this forum or that I know personally that bought an iPhone or an Mac computer to stand out. I bought them because they work well and filled a need. I believe that to be true for most though you will have a few zealots along the way too.

Also what is wrong with a company basically saying.. hey our products are better and your life will be easier if you buy them. That is called marketing! I think the Hello I am a Mac and I am a PC commercials exaggerate issues that Windows customers experience, but they do what they are designed to do because most don't already have preconceived notions about Apple being this horrible company. They just see them as empathizing with their situations in dealing with Windows. If people are willing to pay a premium, why should I care?

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I doubt we'll see any buttons are an actual separate console. I think their plan is to continue to compete using the iPhone and iPod Touch. I've been surprised at how many people I know that use these darn things for games already. The challenge is using the device itself as the button or steering mechanism.

I don't suspect you'll ever see a stand along cheap device from Apple, I think their plan is more along the lines of continuing the push the iPod Touch as a gaming device and right now they have a crap load of folks writing gaming software already.

You know I don't really understand someone being wired to hate a company so much it just makes no sense to me. Why would anyone be so bothered by one company or another? I don't know maybe I got too many other avenues in my life to be concerned about what one company does. I would never wish the demise of any American Company because rather I like Steve Jobs and company, Apple employes a lot of people just like you and me, not to mention the food chain that it supports in retail sales etc.

Apple is trendy, but not everyone that owns Apple products go out and buy them to be trendy, that is just BS. I honestly think your wires are crossed because it just shows this is more about principle than reality and most of which is just your perception. I can't tell you how many people I know that have Apple products and most could care less about being trendy or even cutting edge. Its nonsense! You've allowed a select few overly zealous Apple fans and/or Apple marketing machine mold your opinion.

Its sort of like the real promiscuous sect of gays that go out and screw anyone they can get their hands on and they are all flaming and have to wear the T-shirts proclaiming they are queer and here. This is how society views the gay society and yet in reality there are those you likely work with and have known most of your life that may live that lifestyle and you'd never know it because the fact is not all gays are like that. So a select few that act outrageous shapes the opinions of the masses.

I am just glad I am not built or wired that way to judge people based on the toys they like or the way they act in representing a certain sect of our society. It mean spirited and totally unnecessary to buy into. I understand you are speaking about Apple, but the fact is that is the way many of you act toward those that buy their products too.

There are many aspects of Apple the company that I like and yet many that I do not like. I can say that about most companies, but I never get to that place where I spend enough time thinking about to hate in such a way. I wish sometimes Apple did things differently, but they are the way they are and because people buy their products doesn't mean they believe or even agree with everything and every decision they make as a company. I don't know anyone on this forum or that I know personally that bought an iPhone or an Mac computer to stand out. I bought them because they work well and filled a need. I believe that to be true for most though you will have a few zealots along the way too.

Also what is wrong with a company basically saying.. hey our products are better and your life will be easier if you buy them. That is called marketing!

Dab--you make perfect sense, I get it, I really do. I recognize that the Iphone is far superior to most competitors yet I'd rather have one of the competitors.

I think that all of their marketing and the fact that they constantly try to position themselves as the "cool" and laid back company has entirely backfired on me and I just have to take the opposite road. I know it doesn't make much sense.

Also, I don't judge or dislike anyone because they like Apple or any other product for that matter. I guess I just get tired of having their products and their missioning statement of the "uber cool" company shoved in my face.

Just like how "Harley Davidson" use to mean something. it used to mean bad ass, American Made bikes and the people that had them were badasses that would just as soon stab you than talk to you. Then, it became trendy to have one and now doctors and lawyers have ruined the image and meaning to Harley when they buy a bike just to drive around on weekends. I don't look down on Harley owners or anything like that and there are certainly some badass people that still own Harley's, I'm just saying that the original meaning of the company has chagned--the subculture that prided itself on being a subculture has become mainstream.

xan_user

Banned
Dec 16, 2008
Nor-Cal
Harley is a great analogy.

My granddad used to tell the story of the couple that walked into the Harley meet with all the Hog duds on head to toe, complaining about how much the costumes cost for riding a Harley.

Course Harley didn't buy the safest, best most ergonomic helmet design and bury it never to be sold again...nor do they take your keys when you put a non Harley sanctioned mods or parts on it like Job$ does.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Dab--you make perfect sense, I get it, I really do. I recognize that the Iphone is far superior to most competitors yet I'd rather have one of the competitors.

Which is the beautiful part as to why we have a choice. Lets hope we all always are able to pick what we like rather it be based on facts or principle.

I think that all of their marketing and the fact that they constantly try to position themselves as the "cool" and laid back company has entirely backfired on me and I just have to take the opposite road. I know it doesn't make much sense.

I think this is perception gone wrong, because they strike me as having a great marketing division that knows how to market their products. The ads I see don't give me the impression that oh go out and buy one of these so you can be cool or trendy. I don't know where you even see that myself, I think they show what their product can do and they stay away from directly comparing themselves to the competition, which is some cases may actually be better.

Also, I don't judge or dislike anyone because they like Apple or any other product for that matter. I guess I just get tired of having their products and their missioning statement of the "uber cool" company shoved in my face.

Again, where do you get this? I wish I could understand where this even comes from because I don't see Apple as being uber cool or even pushing that concept. I think they push quality, ease of use, simplicity and for that paying a premium. But cool and ultra trendy, I think that is more of a perception than reality. When I think about myself and so many others that I know I can't help but laugh at the being trendy and cool thing. I am 50 years old being trendy and cool is not my thing! Having a device that works easily without much setup or fuss IS my thing.

Just like how "Harley Davidson" use to mean something. it used to mean bad ass, American Made bikes and the people that had them were badasses that would just as soon stab you than talk to you. Then, it became trendy to have one and now doctors and lawyers have ruined the image and meaning to Harley when they buy a bike just to drive around on weekends. I don't look down on Harley owners or anything like that and there are certainly some badass people that still own Harley's, I'm just saying that the original meaning of the company has chagned--the subculture that prided itself on being a subculture has become mainstream.

HD was just about out of business when their new CEO took over the company and using a lot of marketing in the same way that Apple does, rebuilt that brand, not to be niche or for just a certain type person, but for everyone. This is why they are so successful today. Had they stayed the course, much like Apple if they had stayed the course, neither of these companies would be in business today.

I have some friend that have HOGS and I can tell you there is still huge subculture out there, it just a wider culture with many sects within it. This is pushed by Harley dealers mainly, but it is still there and alive. But aren't subcultures and sects within them really just a perception of those that belong to them? I think so!

Markting for these companies and appealing to the masses is the only thing that can keep them afloat. Gone are the days of niche products, because mass producing them and marketing them cost too much money to make a profit, not too do this.

I think what Apple and Harley Davidson has done is nothing but a success story for American Business.

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I think this is perception gone wrong, because they strike me as having a great marketing division that knows how to market their products. The ads I see don't give me the impression that oh go out and buy one of these so you can be cool or trendy. I don't know where you even see that myself, I think they show what their product can do and they stay away from directly comparing themselves to the competition, which is some cases may actually be better.

Again, where do you get this? I wish I could understand where this even comes from because I don't see Apple as being uber cool or even pushing that concept. I think they push quality and for that quality paying a premium. But cool and ultra trendy, I think that is more of a perception than reality.

How can you not see this from their advertising?

All of their TV commercials feature the older, geeky business man dressed in a lousy suit and he represents Microsoft and then Apple has the cool, laid back guy that is much younger and hipper looking in his jeans and hoodie sweatshirt with a super cool laid back attitude that pokes, prods and mocks the loser in the suit. Just watch ONE commercial, even with the volume off and you can see that Apple is represented buy the cool, laid back kid and he is the direct antithesis of the older, square business dork that is still clingy onto the old microsoft products.

Also, the slogan for Apple is "THINK DIFFERENTLY." This just screams "hey, your not like all those other people, come hang out with us and express your individualism and show them how much cooler you are."

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
How can you not see this from their advertising?

All of their TV commercials feature the older, geeky business man dressed in a lousy suit and he represents Microsoft and then Apple has the cool, laid back guy that is much younger and hipper looking in his jeans and hoodie sweatshirt with a super cool laid back attitude that pokes, prods and mocks the loser in the suit. Just watch ONE commercial, even with the volume off and you can see that Apple is represented buy the cool, laid back kid and he is the direct antithesis of the older, square business dork that is still clingy onto the old microsoft products.

I see your point, but how many people do you honestly think when they see that commercial break it down like that? I know I certainly don't even pay attention to what they are wearing or even how they look. Clearly you pay much more attention to such details than I do. I still don't see this as selling ulber cool. For me the real focus of the ad show simple, easy, no bother, turn it on and it works. No constantly updates, no empty promises about it being better year and after year. That is what I see! I don't see go buy one of these so you can be cool and trendy like we are!

Again I think everyone has their own perception! You want to believe that Apple is just selling cool and trendy and that is why you view the ad the way you do. Yet I on the other hand pay more attention to the actual content, what are they really saying? Are Apple products cool and trendy? I guess some would say that, but marketing to me constantly pushes on how easy they are to use and I think that is what sells their products. I just don't get the sense from viewing theirs ads that I need one of them to feel cool or trendy. Then again I am speaking from my perception and considering what turned me onto Apple toys.

You know even if I believed that Apple was pushing cool and trendy, which I don't, but why would I care if I had no interest in their products?

Koolaid clouds vision.;)

and you've added so much to this discussion, like always!

Reactions: Vargas

Vargas

Molon Labe!
Oct 16, 2008
Western, PA
I see your point, but how many people do you honestly think when they see that commercial break it down like that? I know I certainly don't even pay attention to what they are wearing or even how they look. Clearly you pay much more attention to such details than I do. I still don't see this as selling ulber cool. For me the real focus of the ad show simple, easy, no bother, turn it on and it works. No constantly updates, no empty promises about it being better year and after year. That is what I see! I don't see go buy one of these so you can be cool and trendy like we are!

Again I think everyone has their own perception! You want to believe that Apple is just selling cool and trendy and that is why you view the ad the way you do. Yet I on the other hand pay more attention to the actual content, what are they really saying?

You know even if I believed that Apple was pushing cool and trendy, which I don't, but why would I care if I had no interest in their products?

I consider the attire they wear and the attitudes that they have to be a bit more under the surface--not quite subliminal but almost--yet I feel the image of these ads is just as important as the content that they talk about. After all, if the image meant nothing then they would have casted different people. No doubt about it, whoever the agency that came up with these ads should be commended because they are very effective and work on so many levels. If their is one thing APPLE related that we CAN agree on (quelle horror) is that the marketing is Top Notch, as good as it gets, world class. Unfortunatly, I'm just one of those guys that the message gets to, sinks in with and then pulls a straight up backfire.

We will never agree on this Dab--we just never ever will. And as you stated in a previous post, this is why we have choices and competition.

wow, talk about us talking a thread off topic.

Reactions: Argji