Apple loses 10% Market Share with iPhone in 1st Quarter

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
RIM's Blackberry Curve takes it to the iPhone G3 in the first quarter 2009.

RIM's consumer smartphone market share climbed 15 percent from the previous period to nearly 50 percent in the first quarter, as Apple's and Palm's share both fell 10 percent.

More than half of RIM's 25 million subscribers now fall into the non-corporate category, according to the company.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,518870,00.html

MM

Administrator
Oct 9, 2008
New England
This is not surprising, due to the AT&T service issues for some.

We'll see what happen if/when Verizon get their iPhone.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
Iphone still #1 though.

The iPhone was the top-selling consumer smartphone in the U.S. in both the third and fourth quarters of 2008. The Curve was second and Palm Inc.'s Centro was third.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
A little competition never killed anyone. :D I had actually considered a blackberry before I went with an iPhone.

TheScionicMan

Last non-Hating Stern Fan
Oct 11, 2008
Serious question for iPhone users: How do you type on the keyboard? 2 thumbs? 1 thumb? index finger?

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
This is not surprising, due to the AT&T service issues for some.

We'll see what happen if/when Verizon get their iPhone.

I agree with you there, in some placed AT&T is just terrible!

I think AT&T is going to pony up to prevent Apple from allowing Verizon to have the iPhone. I think depending on how much they pony up vs how much they think they can make off selling additional phones with Verizon.

sportboy

Dec 18, 2008
Apple will get it all back with the new Iphone coming out in June. From the first day until now, its incredible how successful the Iphone has been in such short amount of time. BB makes a good product and they've been around so much longer than the Iphone. Competition is good, the innovation from both companies will be something to see down the road.

Lets just hope they don't merge like the Sat radios companies did.

Jon

Dec 16, 2008
Colorado
Apple will get it all back with the new Iphone coming out in June. From the first day until now, its incredible how successful the Iphone has been in such short amount of time. BB makes a good product and they've been around so much longer than the Iphone. Competition is good, the innovation from both companies will be something to see down the road.

They're both rousing success stories. That AIN'T gonna happen! I like the competition personally, I almost bought a blackberry before the iPhones came out. And when I found out it's not easy to sync a blackberry with a Mac computer.

sportboy

Dec 18, 2008

MAJ Badmotherfarker

is drinking a beer.
Oct 11, 2008
Washington D.C.
As long as my Blackberry Curve gives me Sprint service, I'm sticking with it. I would have gone with the Storm, but Verizon is a frickin rip off. As for AT&T... not a chance. Had them. It sucks.

mrpacs

Oct 11, 2008
Connecticut
I don't think the new iPhone will be OUT in June, although it may be ANNOUNCED in June. Just my 2 cents, however.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
I think the 2nd generation 3g iPhone was announced in June, but not released until July as I recall, it was about 30 days later.

I am wondering if they have any plans to do much with the iPod Touch. They could add a camera for one thing, along with all the other improvements of 3.0 software that would rock.

SpaceKitty

Nov 21, 2008
I don't think the new iPhone will be OUT in June, although it may be ANNOUNCED in June. Just my 2 cents, however.

I think you are correct. The WWDC is motly going to focus on Snow Leopard. The iPhone announcement will likely come a few weeks later and the new phone in July like last year.