Anyone use the SL10?

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
reliable? Happy with it?

I know the SL100 and SL2 are superior in nearly every way. However, all I want is to record Howard to listen at work the next day. That's it. And the prices are way down for the SL10, might pull the trigger.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
I bought a SL10 almost two years ago, now. I got it at a cheap price (at the time) from walmart on clearance. I think it was like 120 or something. I've been using it ever since. It was in retirement for a few months due to lack of funds for a sub, but I turned it right back on and all is fine.

My only complaint is the lack of features that the more expensive guys have, but I mainly just use it like you said you would. I record Howard and a few other shows daily, and listen at my convienence. The only problem with this is the storage space. You cannot record a weeks worth of shows and listen on the weekend. It only holds maybe 2 stern shows and nothing else at a time. The space is limited. So, with this in mind, Make your decision. At this point, it's almost worth getting a Sl100 since it has much more space and the added features and can still be found much cheaper then the Sl2, but if you can't spare the cash and have a good deal for the 10, go for it!

After two years, my battery doesn't last long in satellite mode outside the dock, but that's not a big problem for me. If all you need is a cheap, and pretty reliable radio to record a few shows on, I say do it. If you want to drop a bit more cash, do the upgrade. :)

Let us know either way!

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
I bought a SL10 almost two years ago, now. I got it at a cheap price (at the time) from walmart on clearance. I think it was like 120 or something. I've been using it ever since. It was in retirement for a few months due to lack of funds for a sub, but I turned it right back on and all is fine.

My only complaint is the lack of features that the more expensive guys have, but I mainly just use it like you said you would. I record Howard and a few other shows daily, and listen at my convienence. The only problem with this is the storage space. You cannot record a weeks worth of shows and listen on the weekend. It only holds maybe 2 stern shows and nothing else at a time. The space is limited. So, with this in mind, Make your decision. At this point, it's almost worth getting a Sl100 since it has much more space and the added features and can still be found much cheaper then the Sl2, but if you can't spare the cash and have a good deal for the 10, go for it!

After two years, my battery doesn't last long in satellite mode outside the dock, but that's not a big problem for me. If all you need is a cheap, and pretty reliable radio to record a few shows on, I say do it. If you want to drop a bit more cash, do the upgrade. :)

Let us know either way!

Thanks. Good info.

I don't even need to record a weeks of shows. 1 show is fine. I listen every day at work, and we're not allowed to stream audio. So.. as embarassing as this is, I've been (for 2 years) recording 4 hours of Howard every day on cassette. No joke. No way was I dumping $250 on a new radio. Now I can land one for probably $80... might do it.

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Hey, if thats all you need, the Sl10 might be just for you. You might see yourself getting envious of the newer models, thoughm as time goes on. ;)

I do the same, though. I record the show in the morning, and then listen at night usually.

DAB

Mod Emeritus
Oct 9, 2008
Louisiana
Yeah if you will be doing minimal recording the SL10 will work out just fine. Go For It! :)

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
Cassettes?? Man, your hardcore. Get the SL10 now!

No, just cheap.

The wife is addicted to Sirius too. So if I get a Stiletto, I need to now carry 2 subscriptions.

I could record with my computer and burn onto my MP3 player, but I really don't want my laptop on all night every night.

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
So as a desktop guy who has recently moved to a laptop...why wouldn't you want to leave it on all night?

I don't know.... Am I being anal?
The thing runs hot enough to heat the house.
It's likely much more prone to failure due to the small form factor.
I know little about security and worry about having a 24 hr internet connection.

jeddeth

Oct 28, 2008
I use my sl10 every day for the past 2 years. In fact, my original one just died and I got a new one. The main advantage for me is that I am addicted to Artist Alerts. The SL10 is the only radio that will let you know anytime one of your favorite artists is playing on any station across the network. So, for example, if I'm listening to BBC Radio One and a Pearl Jam song comes on Lithium, I get a little beep and a message letting me know and I can press select to jump right to that channel. For the 50 or so artist alerts I have set up, I find it to be priceless!

I guess I am forgoing extended record times and wifi, but I record about 5 hours a day and listen to at least 3 of it... so I find I have plenty of room to spare. I don't really need an sd card, my iphone has all my music on it.

In terms of reception and other options, its the same as the SL100.

If you can find the SL10 cheap, I highly recommend it. I got my second one as a refurb on the Sirius site with a $50 gift card for $120 delivered (so basically $70).

JYJr

Nov 9, 2008
Alexandria, VA
I use my sl10 every day for the past 2 years. In fact, my original one just died and I got a new one. The main advantage for me is that I am addicted to Artist Alerts. The SL10 is the only radio that will let you know anytime one of your favorite artists is playing on any station across the network. So, for example, if I'm listening to BBC Radio One and a Pearl Jam song comes on Lithium, I get a little beep and a message letting me know and I can press select to jump right to that channel. For the 50 or so artist alerts I have set up, I find it to be priceless!

I guess I am forgoing extended record times and wifi, but I record about 5 hours a day and listen to at least 3 of it... so I find I have plenty of room to spare. I don't really need an sd card, my iphone has all my music on it.

In terms of reception and other options, its the same as the SL100.

If you can find the SL10 cheap, I highly recommend it. I got my second one as a refurb on the Sirius site with a $50 gift card for $120 delivered (so basically $70).

I agree with everything here. I have had my SL10 since December 2006. I really like having the alerts. I don't care about song storage. It would be nice to have some extra recording time, but I can live with the 9 or so hours the SL10 has. Don't care about wi-fi - I have docks at home, office and car. I can listen on the internet if I have to. The SL10 is a bargain and well worth it...

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Hey Club Steeler

How did you make out? I'll have a spare receiver soon and wondered if you already pulled the trigger on a new/used purchase. Like most listeners I don't know how I lived without Sirius/XM for so long.

ClubSteeler

Oct 16, 2008
How did you make out? I'll have a spare receiver soon and wondered if you already pulled the trigger on a new/used purchase. Like most listeners I don't know how I lived without Sirius/XM for so long.

Thanks. I got a SL100 from another poster here. Glad I did. I record a lot more than I thought I would. I love it.

Vols44

Oct 18, 2008
Sounds Familar

Thanks. I got a SL100 from another poster here. Glad I did. I record a lot more than I thought I would. I love it.

Got my 100 the same way yesterday. Can wait to enjoy the enhanced features and recently purchased home kit in the computer room.

Joopster

Jan 31, 2009
Why not download usirius and set up orb to record daily the show and then download it to an mp3 player.