Anyone have a Kindle?

Discussion in 'The Studio Lounge' started by TSS Taylor, Oct 13, 2008.

1. Grüpsaar

Grüpsaar DRC Forum Bum

I read some reviews on it a while back and I get mixed reviews. I think maybe in another generation or two of the kindle, I may be interested. But, right now, I can't talk myself into plunking down cash for it..just yet. ;)
  2. I seriously love it but will honestly admit I'm not super techie;) The cost was a factor for me but I used my tax refund and rationalize that I'll be saving tons in costs of books so it'll pay for itself in a year :jj:
  3. I read alot of e-books and I love the tech aspect of it. My friends do so also and we often share files (books) back and forth. I have been using my iTouch as a way to read them and it's awesome, but a little small. Maybe this is the answer for me.
  4. I really like the screen on the Kindle once I got used to it and you can chose from 5 different fonts which helps my tired eyes sometimes :jj: I'll try to answer any questions:bigthumbup:
  5. That's awesome! I always get tired of the same font on my iTouch. Does the Kindle read PDF files?
  6. AWESOME! Thanks for the reply and the link!
  7. You are very welcome :bow:
  8. DAB

DAB Mod Emeritus

Amazon is fixing to release the Kindle 2

Check out info here: [ame=http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00154JDAI/ref=nav_swm_kindle2?pf_rd_p=469966691&pf_rd_s=nav-sitewide-msg&pf_rd_t=4201&pf_rd_i=navbar-4201&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=0A2X7X6SK8RDH0YJZMFA]Amazon.com: Kindle 2: Amazon's New Wireless Reading Device (Latest Generation): Kindle Store[/ame]

[​IMG]
  9. hexagram

hexagram Medicinal & Recreational.

I would buy one if I wasn't so poor :(

Does anyone care to donate to the HNAKF? ("Hexagram Needs A Kindle Foundation")
  10. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

Poor people should avoid DRM-heavy technology. Poor people should steal.
  11. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

What is the price per download versus the same book in paper version? Any comparisons?
  12. memebag

memebag Top Brass, ADVP

I bet they post that information at Amazon. If only we had some way of accessing Amazon from wherever we happen to be, some sort of giant web or net that interconnects all the computers with a bunch of tubes...
  13. mrpacs

mrpacs Well-Known Member

ha, very funny. I checked Kindle pricing versus paperback pricing and it looks good to me. Less $$$ in every book I threw at it. I may invest in the new Kindle2 on Feb. 24.
  14. Vargas

Vargas Molon Labe!

I have long thought about the Kindle and now they have the Kindle 2. It is a little expensive considering that I don't like to buy Hardcover books and usually wait for them to come to paperback.

The downloads are only 9.99 from amazon so that is a big savings but still, dropping almost $400 for a device to read books is a little hard to justify. The idea is solid and I see all of the benefits and coolness of it but I just don't think i will ever get one.

I still like going to a bookstore, searching through the paperbacks and looking for something to grab my attention.
  15. Bandwagon03

Bandwagon03 Well-Known Member

I got a Kindle for my wife for Christmas. She really enjoys it, I know its not a problem for a lot of people, but where we live (rural SW Virginia) we are a good 45 minutes from a big book store, and the selection at your local Wal-Mart is not really adequate. She can browse a book, download a sample chapter or two, then decide if she wants to buy it. If she does download it, it takes about 30 seconds...;)
  16. Vargas

Vargas Molon Labe!

How is the reading experience? The best thing about a book is that when you get into it, the book itself sort of disappears and you don't really even realize that you are reading and turning pages, etc.
  17. Bandwagon03

Bandwagon03 Well-Known Member

She says it reads very easy. The E-ink technology really looks good, and videos simply do not do it justice, she finds it very easy to "get into" a book. The only complaint she has is it seems to be very easy to "accidently" turn a page, something I think has been remedied on Kindle 2.0, however, she really doesnt see the big deal behind that anyways....it has a VERY clean look about it, textwise.
  18. Casual Fan

Casual Fan Surprisingly nice

We'll call it "America Online" and distribute it through the US mail...
  19. Bookworm

Bookworm Member

I have ordered two for myself and my wife that should arrive tomorrow. We both read a lot and have bought a lot of hardback books over the years from various book clubs. We now have six bookcases full of books which total about 150' of shelf space so a big selling point for us is not having to worry about where to put any more books. I figure we can recoup the cost in a couple of years with the savings on books.