Anyone Else Pick Up On Artie's "it's over" Comments Today?

flowerfeeder

Oct 15, 2008
I noticed at least twice today that Artie snuck in "well, since my career is over I'm a bit of a loose canon..." type comments in. The most obvious was when the garbage truck driver called in and Artie said "that's what I'll be doing soon."

Howard quickly moved on both times. Sounds like the show (and SIRIUS) may be on it's last days.

Today may have been the last live Stern show on Sirius ever.

Elwood

Dec 3, 2008
Nah, Artie was continuing the joke. Howard even mentioned during the news a couple of times, "Artie, please don't call me next week about your depression shit."

Grüpsaar

DRC Forum Bum
Oct 11, 2008
Anytown, WI
www.youtube.com
Yeah, people are pretty gloom and doom about the show being gone, but if anything, the channels and the show are the one things Sirius needs to keep in re-negotiating, aside from the sports. The rest of the talent can be cut, and yes, people will get mad, but Killing off Stern and the channels will pretty much take Satellite radio back off the map. IMO, anyway.

kryptonite

Oct 21, 2008
Yeah, people are pretty gloom and doom about the show being gone, but if anything, the channels and the show are the one things Sirius needs to keep in re-negotiating, aside from the sports. The rest of the talent can be cut, and yes, people will get mad, but Killing off Stern and the channels will pretty much take Satellite radio back off the map. IMO, anyway.

Yes. Satellite radio needs Howard to survive. They need his audience, and their subscriptions.

The only reason I subscribe is because of Howard. If he's gone, I'm gone.

You and millions of other people.

VinnyM27

Oct 14, 2008
The only reason I subscribe is because of Howard. If he's gone, I'm gone.

I came for Howard but the other stuff including music won me over...lately, nothing has been impressing me and I'm just limping along with Howard and hoping things improve. The thing is, if Sirius is back when they came back from break, so will Howard. They won't renegotiate with him.

geosync

Oct 13, 2008
Portland, Or
I think Artie meant 'his' career is over, since he won't be back after the vacation. Either he will just flat out quit, or Howard will tell him to stay home. I think the show is back after a week, but Artie very well may not be.

GoodDog

Oct 13, 2008
Scientific Map
He's just playing the sad sack woo is me card. He is not a happy guy, kinda sad to think someone who is paid lots of money to make people laugh is such a depressed out of control person.

RDog

Oct 18, 2008
Artie isn't actually depressed. He's a man-child. It's all his mother's fault. He skips work to do heroin or drink or whatever, and then comes back and plays the victim. Even if he lies about why he was out, he's the total victim. He never comes back and just says "Well, I just wasn't feeling well", it's always this drawn-out dramatic story that never smacks of the truth, yet he persists in spinning yarns each and every time he returns. I don't think any of the listeners would have an issue with him nearly as often if he took the odd day off and just came back and was honest about it. I'm not saying he should *ever* be away to abuse drugs the night before, but if he feels like shit the night before, then come in the day after and say "I simply felt like shit."

That Rolling Stone reporter really had him sized up as a 40+ year old who needs constant validation.

I think Artie won't be back if/when the show returns... temporarily. Howard will have given him and extra week or two off, and think that counts as "dealing with the Artie situation." Artie will lie about being in rehab while off, and the whole cycle will continue.

I do hope the show comes back but I think despite the good drama it creates, the Artie saga has to be over and it's just time to try someone else in the Jackie chair just to see if it's a better fit. It'll freshen up the show as a whole.

Last edited: